Private Lessons

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

gymmomla

Cheer Parent
Jul 20, 2014
Hi all ..

Noah's been begging me for private lessons .. I want to let him .. But here's my question .. How long & how often ? Once a week for a certain amount of time or just until he gets that specific skill ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is his goal and why do you want privates instead of classes? Those answers will help with the answer.

Well I'm starting a new job . I won't get off work till later . In order for him to get into the later classes ( tumbling ) he has to get that roundoff down . His cheer class is at 6 . , but his tumbling class is at 530 and I won't be home yet . [emoji17] I was hoping the privates would help him to kinda get up to par..

That's what I was thinking . I knew that if I took this job I'd have this issue , but in the long run its a better job. On the plus side , I think some one on one time with the coach will be really good for him . He's very happy about these privates ..

I'm so glad his cheer class won't be a issue because he loves that class !

They will, and I bet it won't take many. My cp takes them when she plateaus on a skill. Privates with a good coach gets her over the hump. At our gym, the coaches usually only recommend doing 1/2 hr privates if it is one on one. The kids get tired if they go longer. She gets completely warmed-up and stretched before the private starts so no time is wasted. Usually she only needs 2 or 3 to progress.

Yeah these will be 30 mins . He told me the same .. To have him stretched so no time is wasted .. I'm hoping it will give him the boost he needs .

My coach told me that if you're going to do privates, select one skill then set aside at least 5-10 private classes. I also have to say that half hour sessions felt like a waste of time and got the best results from 1 hour privates. Good luck to him!

Yeah these will be 30 mins . He told me the same .. To have him stretched so no time is wasted .. I'm hoping it will give him the boost he needs .

Cp has found that 30 minutes 1:1 is plenty of time, especially when she warms up before the private. She needs to catch her breath between tumbling passes!

Cp has found that 30 minutes 1:1 is plenty of time, especially when she warms up before the private. She needs to catch her breath between tumbling passes!

Agree. 30 mins is plenty! Especially for a young kid. Don't think mine could go much longer.

The advice given are splendid, especially the stretching before the private and limit the amount of time 1:1 with a young child the attention level is not there and have the instructor work 1 element per private... As the child gets older than the Instructor may throw in other elements to break up the boredom... For example, my daughter's Instructor will work on the most needed element in her routine like jumps to back, first and then will work on fulls and if he wants to extend her time will normally have her work on a tumbling pass...(mostly working on techniques or cleaning up elements)
As your son gets older then consider adding more time, I will not go over 45 minutes for an 1:1 private...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone . I've got to see when the coach has him scheduled , he's excited to start his privates . [emoji2]

Thanks everyone . I've got to see when the coach has him scheduled , he's excited to start his privates . [emoji2]

Good luck, Noah! @gymmomla, you see that boy in the picture with my daughter, less than 3 years ago, he was only able to do a cartwheel with poor technique. But in about 2.5 years or today, he performing double and standing fulls, so with hard work this could be Noah's tale too!

Last edited:
Lol his name is noah but I do have a son named nick also [emoji4]

Back