Pros And Cons Of Trying To Remain Anonymous On The Board

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Doodlebelle

Cheer Parent
Feb 22, 2013
So, I am a newbie to posting, but a long time lurker. I thought I would lurk forever, and created an account to just see the pictures. However, I have found myself wanting to post lately. I do, however, have a newbie question. Yes, I have read all of the "Newbie" stuff, and have used the search bar, google + fierceboard, etc. I don't think there is another thread for my question. My question is this: What are the pros and cons of trying to remain anonymous on here? Particularly as a parent of an allstar cheerleader. I am hoping that some of the "old-timers" will reply to this.

I've stayed pretty anonymous until very recently. The pros are no one from my gym who happens to be on board knows me and I can say what's in my mind. The con is that, well no one knows me :).
I started opening up more in the parents board. Some of that has leaked over to the main boards, but not much.

I've never been able to do the anonymous thing on any board. I'm sure there are potential issues at some gyms. But I've been fortunate enough that the two gyms my daughter cheered at (KY Elite and ACE) had owners that mostly didn't have an issue with posts.

Sent from the Fierce Board App (aren't you jealous?)

Yay! i gave you your first shimmy!!!!!!!!!

i try to remain anonymous on here but mostly because i don't think it is anyone's business what gym my cp is at. i refrain from posting anything gym specific that could point to where she cheers at. i don't believe our owners would have an issue with it as long as i wasn't giving out trade secrets or trash talking the gym.

with that being said, i know nothing online is absolutely anonymous and there are many cyber sleuths on here who could figure it out if they really wanted to. and there are a few who i have had PM's with that know what gym she is at and i am okay with that because i have never said anything that i thought could haunt me.

I first created my first fierceboard username to be my name and my gym. As soon as we had the ability to change it I did. I'm not sure why I had the urge to, but I felt like I should because know one could judge be from my gym, or where I'm from.

I've never been able to do the anonymous thing on any board. I'm sure there are potential issues at some gyms. But I've been fortunate enough that the two gyms my daughter cheered at (KY Elite and ACE) had owners that mostly didn't have an issue with posts.

Sent from the Fierce Board App (aren't you jealous?)
testing the APP?

I've had some pretty bad experiences online as far as privacy. I don't blame anyone for wanting to keep their identity a secret, especially their child or family member.

The only con IMO would be the possibility of not being able to truly connect with anyone, but sometimes peace of mind is better than meeting new people.

I'm by no means an "old timer", been on here for almost 2 years. But I kind of wish I was anonymous sometimes. Being so public like me has gotten me stalked by a guy who has a shoe fettish. creepy. and I always get random facebook requests and the people are like, "I know you from fierceboard", and I'm just like...erm...ok? Wish I was anon.

I prefer to be somewhat anonymous just for internet safety. I'm sure people who know me could put posts together and figure it out, but it would be much trickier for someone who doesn't to figure that out. You can't be too careful on the internet. There's a lot of cool normal people, but there's also a lot of crazy out there too. I'd prefer to stay as much away from them as possible

I'm not even close to anon haha! But I just feel like a have nothing to hide =p but in all reality I'm not anon anywhere on the Internet because I have a big mouth haha

I know this is an old post, but if you aren't anonymous know that there is a 99.9% chance your cp's coaches (or someone from your gym) are reading and/or having someone else read and report back what you post. You really have to think about what you write before you post it and always censor yourself.

Back