All-Star Really Bad Mental Blocks.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 25, 2013
Okay so I am 14 and have had my back hand spring for like 3 + years. I have a round off back handspring back tuck and was working on my standing when I hurt my arm for 5 weeks falling from a stunt. Now that I am better for a month plus I haven't been able to pull it. I go and back out. And I sit there forever debating and I'll go BUT WITH A SPOT. Anyone have ideas. ???

Magic Formula Reveals How To Learn Tumbling Skills As Fast As Humanly Possible :

Not sure what really works. My 10 yr old had her RO BHS for 2 years and just stopped last year. I tried tons of privates, then just left her alone. She can do it now alone but not on a team unless she is spotted for the first one....so we moved her down a level to ease the pressure and I figure when she is ready she will do it. It is very very frustrating to her as she wants to get it back to go back to working on her tuck...

Best of luck....it's tough but just KNOW you will get there!!!

Okay so I am 14 and have had my back hand spring for like 3 + years. I have a round off back handspring back tuck and was working on my standing when I hurt my arm for 5 weeks falling from a stunt. Now that I am better for a month plus I haven't been able to pull it. I go and back out. And I sit there forever debating and I'll go BUT WITH A SPOT. Anyone have ideas. ???

My daughter Kayla had a mental block for 2 years. Feel free to email her and she can share her experience and things that helped her with you :) [email protected]

I too had a mental block for 3 years with my back handspring. Got every front skill there was, but couldn't get my back handspring. Coach had sent me onto the tumbl track to do it by myself, never had done one before, broke my nose on the red siding. My mom paid for multiples privates a week, multiple classes a week, ontop of a gas bill for a $45 min drive & one the most expensive gym in the area. I ended up switching gyms on year three of the block & as soon as I got to the new gym my block was gone. Maybe my story might help a little, it probably won't, but hey, you're not the only one. Goodluck girly!

Unfortunately, your block is different from everyone else's- totally normal, but different. And thus, there is no clear way that you can get over it. You need to find a method which works for you. Some athletes need pressure, and some need time. From my own blocks, try not to be hard on yourself, do as many drills as you can by yourself and yes, do it with a spot as many times as you need. I took a lot of time, and I worked on a lot of other skills while taking that time. Progressing in them and telling myself that I was could do the skill, and that I was a good cheerleader helped bounds. The biggest comfort I can offer to you is that you will get over your block. One day it will lift and you will be straight back to tumbling like you used to. Good luck and keep smiling!

This might sound really weird.. But try spinning around in a circle slowly before you go. I had to do it a lot because it cleared my thoughts! I had a block for two years and now I am over it thankfully! I hope you get your tuck back soon!

I've gone through a lot of mental blocks in my years of cheer and gymnastics, and what works for me is going back to the beginning and starting over with whatever skill is causing the issue. So I would go back through all the drills used to work up to the skill and basically reteach it to myself. I know that there's not always time for that, but it's what I've found to be most helpful. Also with standing backs, maybe this time go the route of doing them off a panel mat or down a cheese so you break the habit of having to rely on the spot. Best of luck!

Back