All-Star Really......

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If I EVER talked to my parents like that, I would have no life. It would consist of sitting in my room all day in the dark and quiet for a very long time.

It's unfortunate but it seems like more and more parents want to be their child's friend as opposed to their parent or guardian. They feel like if they discipline their child the kid will get mad at them. Guess what, you are doing a huge disservice to your child in the end. If they act like that with you, they're going to do it to their coach, their teacher, their friends (if they can even find any friends who will put up with this), and their boss. It's our job as parents to teach our children to be respectful, considerate and compassionate people. We have to step in and be their role models or people like Paris Hilton, Snooki and the girls from 16 & Pregnant will end up doing the job for you.

I have just come from practice with my niece and I am soooo upset. The little girls on my nieces team are just the most disrespectful children I have ever met. They treat their parents horribly by screaming at them and calling all sorts of names, one girl and I quote said "Next time drive faster b*****" and the parent laughed off this behavior and said ok!!!!! And the way they treat each other is just horrible but when the coach steps in to take action the parents want to get upset about how hes screaming at their child and all I could say is Really........

Well (unfortunately) there is nothing you can do about the way they are treating their parents. The worst thing another individual can do is to comment on another persons parenting. If the parent is too ignorant to realize that is unacceptable behaviour thats on them, and they will be the ones that have to deal with the havoc the child will reek when they are a teenager and get expelled, arrested, pregnant etc.

As far as the coaching situation. Personally, I have a 6 yr old niece that does all stars, if I felt like the other children's behavior was THAT bad toward the coaches and each other I would tell my sister to pull her from the gym. I wouldn't want my niece to be exposed to that type of behavior because then she too would think it was acceptable behavior and may even begin to act out as well in order to get attention. No thanks. Not worth it.

Wow...none of my kids would ever think about doing something like that...to me or their coach! It amazes me what kids get away with these days!

If I ever said that to my mom (even now) and I'm 19 she would be sooo mad. I don't get how some people raise their children, unfortunately some of those children will become violent later in life. I hope the coach does something about it !!!

If any of the girls or guys on my high school team said this to me or the staff supervisor they wouldn't be on the mat for a while...

I just dont know what kind of parent would allow their child to speak to them that way. Its bad when you see at the gym just think about how they act at competitions. :(

and this is why parents should be parents not their kids bff ! if i EVER spoke to my mom or dad like that i'd be grounded for the rest of my life and would say goodbye to my social life as well as cheer

Unfortunately, a trend that I notice is that not only do parents avoid discipline to form a friendship-like bond as mentioned by @libertycoach , BUT the fact that they cannot see their children as having any flaws. Like it is some sort of statement as to their parenting ability or their genetics if their child does something wrong. I used to coach at a very wealthy private school, and I saw it there ten-fold.

As most of you have mentioned (though I liked @ShallowPoms way of describing it the best lol), I too grew up with a Mom who would whoop my butt for having a smart mouth (i had a very bruised and swollen backside for most of my childhood as a result LOL). Not only that, but if she ever heard of me disrespecting a coach or a teacher, she would grant me another butt whooping on their behalf. (note: I am not endorsing physical discipline, though not a parent yet, I certainly won't be using those tactics with my children in the future)

In my generation (ugh sounds like my grandma), "my coach yelled at me" was met with "well what the hell did you do wrong?" NOT "oh my poor baby, that coach is targeting you and I'm going to have words with them" Kids are just small people, in other words they aren't perfect and they all have flaws. Teaching a kid to learn from a mistake, rather than lie for them or stand by them when they are in the wrong, is much more responsible parenting imo

Honey, me too. And my Mom is 64 years old. She still doesn't play like that.
Same here. My 74 year old mother would slap me so hard, my daughter would feel it...and then we would both be on life support..Mama don't play...
And if my daughter ever talked to any adult like that, it would the last word she ever said!

I'm sorry but some kids just need a spanking and a time out. If my future children EVER said anything liek that to me they will be parked in the time out chair faster than they can blink, even if it meant the unthinkable sin, taking them back out of practice.

If my daughter ever THOUGHT of talking like that to me, they would be her last words. Same thing would go if she ever spoke to another adult that way. At my cp's old team, we did witness such behavior. A boy on the senior team thought it would be hilarious to flip the coach the bird in front of the whole youth team, and on another occasion curse the coach out because he didn't like the new guys uniforms. She laughed it off with a "teenagers! what are you going to do?" Made me ill. One of the reasons we left. My child does not need to be around that, exposed to it, or even think that this would EVER be appropriate and accepted. A parents job is not to be your child's best friend, but to be your child's guide when things like this present themselves. They may not like you, at times they may hate you, but if you're doing the right thing, they will always love you for it in the end.

Back