All-Star Releasing Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If an athlete doesn't want to be with a gym, it usually creates a bad situation for both the athlete and the gym. Sometimes its best for everyone to just part ways.

If an athlete is cut, then of course they should be released (if they owe a small balance, waive that fee)

I'm kind of iffy about releasing kids just because they have a 'better' option. If you have team A on the other side of town, double teaming 5 kids on the worlds team and they call a kid on your team (B), that kids tells a few of his/her teammates and they all agree..hey let's go over there. That's definitely not fair to team B and I don't think they should be released because gym A shouldn't have been calling in the first place. (It happens)

If there is 1 kid that is not happy and has not been happy all season and wants to leave, then release that kid (as long as they have fulfilled their financial obligation).

This is such a sticky topic.

@Just-a-Mom I think you make done good point but still believe in the heart of the rule. CP came from a gym that wasn't the "you can be replaced at any moment" mentality but I realize that is becoming the norm. Can/should there be contracts to protect the athletes position as long their skills are in tact?

As others mentioned for other sports, soccer has rules in place that protect the club and the players position on the team through the season.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

@Just-a-Mom I think you make done good point but still believe in the heart of the rule. CP came from a gym that wasn't the "you can be replaced at any moment" mentality but I realize that is becoming the norm. Can/should there be contracts to protect the athletes position as long their skills are in tact?

As others mentioned for other sports, soccer has rules in place that protect the club and the players position on the team through the season.

I think that's why I've changed my stance. I've seen so much of this "you can be replaced at any moment" mentality, I just don't get why it's all up to the gym. This rule needs to go both ways. I'd say over the 2-3 years we've had it, many gyms have clearly demonstrated that it isn't working the way it is written. I like the spirit of the rule - but it needs to apply to both sides. If you want to leave your gym, you need a release. If you want to replace me with another athlete, I need to sign something saying I'm releasing my spot. Add a disclaimer that if kid quits the gym or has a season ending injury, that's considered releasing their spot.

Gym owners are really overstepping their boundaries these days - you don't own these kids. For the millionth time...we are paying you, not vice versa.

Gym owners/coaches: If you want a kid to stay, stop screaming in their faces that they can be replaced in minutes. And if you do feel that way... WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL IF THEY LEAVE? You just said you could replace any one of them with the throngs of kids waiting to take their place. So.... do it.

I think that's why I've changed my stance. I've seen so much of this "you can be replaced at any moment" mentality, I just don't get why it's all up to the gym. This rule needs to go both ways. I'd say over the 2-3 years we've had it, many gyms have clearly demonstrated that it isn't working the way it is written. I like the spirit of the rule - but it needs to apply to both sides. If you want to leave your gym, you need a release. If you want to replace me with another athlete, I need to sign something saying I'm releasing my spot. Add a disclaimer that if kid quits the gym or has a season ending injury, that's considered releasing their spot.

Gym owners are really overstepping their boundaries these days - you don't own these kids. For the millionth time...we are paying you, not vice versa.

Gym owners/coaches: If you want a kid to stay, stop screaming in their faces that they can be replaced in minutes. And if you do feel that way... WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL IF THEY LEAVE? You just said you could replace any one of them with the throngs of kids waiting to take their place. So.... do it.

Said this before, but we provide a product.

If at any point, you feel as though someone else can provide said product better, you leave (obviously you lose $ as we cannot refund it, but you can leave.)

Coke doesn't require you to be released by Coke to purchase a Pepsi. Why is cheer different?

Your point about the door swinging both ways is correct.

I can release an athlete for missing 20 practices. This is a business relationship and their part of the business bargain is not being upheld.

They are also like Coke/Pepsi. If I decide that another child can fulfill that bargain better, they will be replaced. I am not bound contractually to have that child on my team.

It works the same for me/the program.

If at any point, you feel as though someone else can provide said product better, you leave (obviously you lose $ as we cannot refund it, but you can leave.)

Coke doesn't require you to be released by Coke to purchase a Pepsi. Why is cheer different?

Your point about the door swinging both ways is correct.

I can release an athlete for missing 20 practices. This is a business relationship and their part of the business bargain is not being upheld.

They are also like Coke/Pepsi. If I decide that another child can fulfill that bargain better, they will be replaced. I am not bound contractually to have that child on my team.

It works the same for me/the program.

This is how it should be, but it isn't in most programs. In most programs the athlete can be replaced anytime (and often is), but heaven help them if they want to leave.

I'm ok with replacing athletes who haven't met their obligations. I don't actually care which way it goes, I just want it the same for both parties. Either both parties can "change their mind" so to speak, or both parties are contractually obligated to get a release from the other.

I just don't like that right now it's only ok for a gym to terminate the "relationship" - it's too one sided.

I do disagree with your analogy in that coke and Pepsi don't actually decide which customers they allow to purchase their products. They can target certain customers, but they don't say "Hey, we don't like that you're mixing rum in our product. We will not take your money anymore. We will take this other lady - she drinks our stuff straight."

You are NOT your athlete's customer, therefore your athlete is actually NOT like coke/pepsi.

Coke doesn't require you to be released by Coke to purchase a Pepsi. .
No but verizon and AT&T do.

This is how it should be, but it isn't in most programs. In most programs the athlete can be replaced anytime (and often is), but heaven help them if they want to leave.

I'm ok with replacing athletes who haven't met their obligations. I don't actually care which way it goes, I just want it the same for both parties. Either both parties can "change their mind" so to speak, or both parties are contractually obligated to get a release from the other.

I just don't like that right now it's only ok for a gym to terminate the "relationship" - it's too one sided.

I do disagree with your analogy in that coke and Pepsi don't actually decide which customers they allow to purchase their products. They can target certain customers, but they don't say "Hey, we don't like that you're mixing rum in our product. We will not take your money anymore. We will take this other lady - she drinks our stuff straight."

You are NOT your athlete's customer, therefore your athlete is actually NOT like coke/pepsi.

^^^^I meant it more in a "door swings both ways" sense, in a sense that just as THEY can choose to go elsewhere, I am not contractually obligated to have them as part of my program if they are not providing the x, y, and z. The relationship is non-binding on both ends.

Same for both parties.

(Sidenote: This has not always been my stance. I was once the "Omg don't leave" coach. Seeing cheer as the business relationship that it is really changes things.)

Do I want you to stay and finish the season? In a perfect world. But it's not right of me to REQUIRE you to stay when I could theoretically cut you for any number of things. Not that it's something I've threatened profusely, but those "on thin ice" kids definitely know that being cut is a possibility. Me requiring you to stay backfires on ME when it comes time for ME to release someone and they feel I am in the wrong.

I still agree with the spirit of the rule. Though I think gyms should be a little more forgiving in a lot of cases.

I don't have a problem with being contractually bound to a gym. Yeah I'm a customer of Fios, but that doesn't mean I can leave in the middle of my contract and go get Comcast service.

Maybe cheer gyms should start chargind early termination fees :p

I still agree with the spirit of the rule. Though I think gyms should be a little more forgiving in a lot of cases.

I don't have a problem with being contractually bound to a gym. Yeah I'm a customer of Fios, but that doesn't mean I can leave in the middle of my contract and go get Comcast service.

That seriously would not surprise me one bit if that happened or is already happening.

Didn't you read the tryout thread and some of these gyms asking parents to fork over all of the money before they even tryout??? Crazy!!!! I don' think there is a solution that will please everyone.

Here is the ONE and ONLY way I would release an athlete:

1. Athlete's Family schedules a professional meeting between Me, Our Gym Owner and Them. This meeting should discuss why they are unhappy and why they want to quit.
2. Family should allow me a mutual allotted time (My guess is 2 weeks-ish) to fix the problem that would cause someone to quit.
3. If problem is not resolved, or not fixable - We should be able to discuss an appropriate time for them to quit (Example: If we have a competition in a few weeks and then a 4 week break before our next one, I think it would be mutually beneficial to all involved they finish out the next competition and they we can part ways)
4. We have our follow up meeting. I thank the family for their professionalism and the opportunity granted to try and fix whatever was wrong (bulling on team, poor coaching, not enough positive encouragement, etc). I give the athlete and their family a release form and wish them the best and remind them that due to their professionalism, our door is always open!

Well all know the day that happens Elsa will be down in hell freezing the whole dang place. A lot can be said for professional courtesy. I feel this solution is not one sided and it lays everything out in the open in a professional setting.

Anyway. Thats just my take on the matter. I would never punish someone who handled a problem like that. Welcome to 2014 though.

Didn't you read the tryout thread and some of these gyms asking parents to fork over all of the money before they even tryout??? Crazy!!!! I don' think there is a solution that will please everyone.

Yeah, I was joking. I always roll my eyes at cheer contracts. But I really don't have a problem with having to get released for Worlds. It's not like you have no other options, you just can't compete at Worlds.

Another situation where an athlete should NOT be released (in my opinion):
This is the 2nd year “Suzie” has been on the team with Gym A (she left Gym B to come to Gym A). This is also the 2nd year that Suzie has been fully scholarshipped by Gym A, now also keep in mind that Suzie’s brother Stevie was also fully scholarshipped by Gym A. A couple of situations happened with Gym A and now Suzie quit Gym A 6 weeks before Worlds. Then BFF of Suzie also quit Gym A. Suzie’s mom called one of the other Athletes parents and tried to convince them to pull Sally flyer from Gym A. Suzie then contacted Gym A asking for a release so that she could go to Gym B so that she could go to Worlds. Gym A said No. Suzie’s mom contacted Gym A in a not so nice way… Suzie’s brother also contacted Gym A in a not so nice way, both demanding Gym A sign release form. Gym A has responded and stated that if Suzie wants to finish her year at Worlds she still has a spot with Gym A.
:banghead:

But that's the point. Yes, you can leave in the middle of your contract if you follow the steps to do so (in this case pay the fee). After that Fios has no say - and they certainly don't get to ask what company you're switching to before they decide if they release you. And if Fios suddenly starts not meeting the terms of their end of the contract, you have ways to pursue legal action to get out of the contract early. In cheer you have no recourse. Wouldn't you be mad if you couldn't get out of your contract with Fios for any reason? Only if they said ok (which they obviously wouldn't)? What if they stopped offering half your channels? (Fios is tv, right? Lol if not then insert appropriate comparison)

ETA actually you can leave and go get Comcast. You don't need a release from Fios to switch. You may have some lingering business to handle with Fios but in the meantime you're on the sofa, enjoying your Comcast.
Here is the ONE and ONLY way I would release an athlete:

(...Shortened to save space....)
Anyway. Thats just my take on the matter. I would never punish someone who handled a problem like that. Welcome to 2014 though.

But do you think it's ok to replace an athlete on a team they helped earn a bid on? If the cheerleb of the week wants a spot on your team, do you follow all these steps for the athlete whose spot is being taken?

Since I know you personally, I'd hazard a guess that yes, YOU do (or would if the situation presented itself). I'm also going to hazard a guess that most wouldn't. Most would pull the athlete right away. (And sadly these are usually the same people that would not, under any circumstances, sign a release if that same athlete CHOSE to leave.)

Back