All-Star Releasing Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheerinatorXdad

Cheer Parent
Mar 10, 2012
Since most everyone is talking Worlds, I thought I'd bring up a related topic.

What are your thoughts on gyms releasing athletes to compete for other gyms?
Right?
Wrong?
Other?

I know of an instance where a gym is refusing to release two athletes and its disappointing to see. I don't know all the details but I hate the athletes have to go through that experience.

I'm not a gym owner so I can't speak from that perspective (and I do understand that it'd be frustrating to have athletes quit mid-season) but I hate the idea of needing a release. cheerleading is a hobby. cheerleaders aren't professional athletes. they don't get paid. parents and athletes PAY (a hefty amount) to gym owners. if you don't like the services you're receiving, why should you be forced to continue to pay for it?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

An athlete should be released if there is no team for them to participate in Worlds on. Don't believe they should be if they go to another gym without discussing it with their current coach or do it sneakily. If they were on a team that got a bid then they need to finish the season with that team. If there was no paperwork needed then I am sure there are some athletes who would screw another gym and would leave if they were offered a spot on a "better" team who might place higher.

An athlete should be released if there is no team for them to participate in Worlds on. Don't believe they should be if they go to another gym without discussing it with their current coach or do it sneakily. If they were on a team that got a bid then they need to finish the season with that team. If there was no paperwork needed then I am sure there are some athletes who would screw another gym and would leave if they were offered a spot on a "better" team who might place higher.

A reason why there is now paperwork.

Since most everyone is talking Worlds, I thought I'd bring up a related topic.

What are your thoughts on gyms releasing athletes to compete for other gyms?
Right?
Wrong?
Other?

I know of an instance where a gym is refusing to release two athletes and its disappointing to see. I don't know all the details but I hate the athletes have to go through that experience.
If you don't know the details, then you don't know who is the bad guy (s). Either the athlete is trying to screw the gym or the coach is being mean.

I'm not a gym owner so I can't speak from that perspective (and I do understand that it'd be frustrating to have athletes quit mid-season) but I hate the idea of needing a release. cheerleading is a hobby. cheerleaders aren't professional athletes. they don't get paid. parents and athletes PAY (a hefty amount) to gym owners. if you don't like the services you're receiving, why should you be forced to continue to pay for it?

I am not a coach either .........So you think it is ok if an athlete competes all season with team A, and is on the floor when they get a bid, is offered a spot to go to worlds with team B who is a little better,. Then it is ok to just say to team A, " thanks but I decided not to go to Worlds with you in a few weeks"?

Hmmm I remember a time when this was the hottest topic around

Just might be again...

What about the case where a family still owes $ the gym they are jumping ship from? Should that athlete be allowed to continue at a different gym?

I am not a coach either .........So you think it is ok if an athlete competes all season with team A, and is on the floor when they get a bid, is offered a spot to go to worlds with team B who is a little better,. Then it is ok to just say to team A, " thanks but I decided not to go to Worlds with you in a few weeks"?

Is a gym allowed to take athletes to Worlds that were not on their roster when they earned the bid( barring injury)? If they can, then the athlete should be able to replace the gym by choice too.

Is a gym allowed to take athletes to Worlds that were not on their roster when they earned the bid( barring injury)? If they can, then the athlete should be able to replace the gym by choice too.

With limitations
Or if the vacating athlete paid out the remainder of the season with their previous gym. They bought out their contract - why not release them.

Spite?????

Back