All-Star Releasing Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you don't know the details, then you don't know who is the bad guy (s). Either the athlete is trying to screw the gym or the coach is being mean.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
You're right. I don't have the details so the reasons for could be endless. However, does it mater? (playing devil's advocate here)

You're right. I don't have the details so the reasons for could be endless. However, does it mater? (playing devil's advocate here)
there is no devils advocate. The rule was put into to play to prevent athletes from gym hopping (regardless of reason) but unfortunately left all the power/control in the gyms lap.

I can very much see the gym stance. Let one athlete go and more could follow and in some cases if enough kids turnover after a bid is received that team may need to requalify.

Just might be again...

What about the case where a family still owes $ the gym they are jumping ship from? Should that athlete be allowed to continue at a different gym?
I (personally) think they aren't really related. the second gym really has nothing to do with that.. its out of their control. I'm by no means saying you should just leave and not pay your expenses, I just think it should be settled in a civil law case (does that make sense? I know nothing about criminology/law lol..) and not be between the old gym and new gym. or are you saying you don't think the athlete should be released if they haven't paid their debt?

I haven't heard as much about this in previous years. I guess the November cut-off date has made people more cautious about where they're signing up.

I (personally) think they aren't really related. the second gym really has nothing to do with that.. its out of their control. I'm by no means saying you should just leave and not pay your expenses, I just think it should be settled in a civil law case (does that make sense? I know nothing about criminology/law lol..) and not be between the old gym and new gym. or are you saying you don't think the athlete should be released if they haven't paid their debt?

I do believe financial obligation (bills must be current to date of athlete leaving) is a valid reason to not release an athlete. Can you imagine how many would try skipping out this way just too move on?

USA Hockey requires an athlete to have a release from their current or last program before they can play for a different organization regardless of when it occurs. During the season or between seasons, doesn't matter. All that the release states is that the athlete is in good financial standing as of the date signed. I have no issue with that. Unlike the usasf though USA hockey does have an appeal process.

The gym in question refuses to release any athlete for any reason at any point in the season (including those who chose to leave after the first competition in November). The athletes know that when/if they move that there is no chance they will be released. Some choose to leave anyway, others stay through the season.

I'm not weighing in on whether it's right/wrong, that's been hashed out in multiple threads, but it's not a surprise to these kids. They know when they leave (regardless of the reason) that they will not be released for worlds. So, if there is a positive, that's it. It's not a bait and switch, it is part of their decision.

To my knowledge, Craig has released every athlete that has left UA to go to another gym, even if it's mid-season shadiness.

A lot of people talk about how bad it is for the athlete that can't go to worlds but rarely do people recognize the team that has to put in extra practices to fix a routine after the loss.

I personally feel that if the gym asks an athlete to go then they should be released. Other than that I can see reasons not to release. I mean you didn't see issues before November 1st?!? You had from May to August to make a decision.

Some gyms never release, some gyms always do, then some gyms say they do but don't.

I thought it was relatively new? Like it started last year or this year.

One season I think it started midway through, though. I feel like the comp season had already started when they released it. The season later (2011) they added the 'post-november 1st' clause. Maybe I'm wrong. USASF likes to dump stuff on us halfway through so I often get confused on rules that are released at regular schedule.

The issue before hand was often kids being on teams that didn't get a bid (or wouldn't go on an at-large) wanting to shuffle to teams that WERE going and had a spot.

A lot of people talk about how bad it is for the athlete that can't go to worlds but rarely do people recognize the team that has to put in extra practices to fix a routine after the loss.

I personally feel that if the gym asks an athlete to go then they should be released. Other than that I can see reasons not to release. I mean you didn't see issues before November 1st?!? You had from May to August to make a decision.

Some gyms never release, some gyms always do, then some gyms say they do but don't.

My opinion on this has completely changed since 2 years ago. I used to feel the same way you do, but I've changed my mind.

Why is it OK for gyms to say you can lose your spot at any time, you can be replaced, etc.? Why is it OK for gyms to hold tryouts mid season for worlds? I just don't get why this "contract" is only one sided. *Especially* since the athlete is actually the one paying, not the other way around. I think if the gym can replace athletes at any given point in the season, it should go both ways. The gym says you have to keep your skills all season. Fine, that's reasonable. But don't replace me when I still have my skills just because someone shinier flew in to be on the team. And it needs to go both ways - if the athlete needs to work to "keep their spot" then the gym should have to work to keep their spot too. If the athlete has to make a decision by November then the gym should have to decide by then too. No switching teams after November? Fine. No switching athletes either.

Again...As I always say, cheerleading is confused. The athletes are the ones paying, not the other way around.

As for having to rework routines? I'm calling BS on any gym that claims that is the problem. The problem is saltiness over athletes leaving, plain and simple.

These teams rework routines every week to hit score sheets or replace injured athletes, or even just change something that isn't working. Reworking routines is part of cheer. How many routines do you see in November that are the same routine in April? Zero.

Back