All-Star Restricting Tumbling To Your All Star Gym Only??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

DJ

Dec 14, 2009
My question.. is this a common practice amongst gyms? How do you handle this situation, if your athletes live far away & tumble elsewhere during the week? Your thoughts? GO!

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: June 22, 2011 10:45:25 PM EDT
To: IDENTITY DELETED TO SPARE "IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL"
Subject: Important Please Read
This is a mass email going out to all members of the Nitro Nation.

There is to be absolutely NO tumbling at any other gym if your are on a Nitro team. This has been a policy in our handbook since day one. This is for safety reasons. We do not know what these instructors at other locations are teaching and if they are going in safe progression according to the USASF rules and guidelines.

Year after year the Nitro program produces quality tumbling in a safe and progressive manner.

Failure to comply will result in IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL from the Nitro organization.

This is the only warning being given.​

Well as I do tumble at my gym at least 3 times a week, I do go to other gyms occasionally for open tumble. And because I know how upset my coaches would be if I told them I got hurt while tumbling or doing something at a different gym, I limit myself to skills that I know I have solid. Yes I push myself, but not as much as I'd push myself at my home gym and risk getting injured or mental blocks.

Well yea, I know lots of kids that cheer at one gym - but it's over 30 minutes from home and tumble elsewhere on off practice nights.

I have this policy too but I don't have any athletes traveling more than 30 minutes. They do pass other gyms to get to us though. I think I'd give a pass to athletes traveling long distances but I'd want to check out the gym and give the ok first.

I have this policy too but I don't have any athletes traveling more than 30 minutes. They do pass other gyms to get to us though. I think I'd give a pass to athletes traveling long distances but I'd want to check out the gym and give the ok first.

I just don't understand the scope of where, your jurisdiction over their choices end and begin. Like, as long as they are fullfilling their obligation to your program financially & to their team - I don't think you can put additional limitations on athletes... what's next? mandating they can only wear gym colors..

well do they mean like another cheer gym or even like a gymnastics gym?

and its one thing if they didnt tell the people but if they put it in the handbook, then everyone is agreeing to it.

my gym tells us to come in before practice and we can tumble and some of us travel an hour and a half to get there.

I live an hour away from my gym , even though we practice two nights a week and we have an hour set aside out of our 3 hour practices just for tumbling, i still sometimes like to get in a little extra tumbling during the week. My mom hates driving an hour for practice, so i don't think she would drive me down there another night during the week just for an hour tumbling class, so i tumble at another gym about 25 minutes from my home. So far there hasn't been any problems.

I understand that tumbling classes and privates are a big source of income for the gyms. I also understand that constantly working with different instructors puts you at a bigger risk for injury and can also stall your progress if things aren't consistent. But, if you have kids driving quite a distance to cheer at your gym, it's a little unreasonable to tell them that they're forbidden to tumble anywhere else. You can only expect people to make a long drive so often. Maybe give them a list of 'approved' gyms or instructors if your beef with kids tumbling somewhere else is that you don't know how safe they're being.

well at our gym our coach says..."get in a gym and get your skills in check"
as long as your required skills arer ready for the mat they really dont care. i know one of the guys made spirit of texas' IOC5 but he tumbles at texas because spirit is 200 miles away!

Yea, idk - idk why this would even become a problem if people want to cheer for any gym - i'd assume they are there for the entire package & that would include tumbling - unless, they feel they need to seek out tumbling instruction elsewhere, I'm just at a loss for words on this issue..

As a gym owner, I guess it depends on how much you would like to draw talent to commute to your gym or if you would prefer to stay a local program.

So, I guess this means no members of your team can go to Woodward or any similar camps? Or is it just restricted to other gyms?
If it's no tumbling across the board that makes sense with the safety 'angle' but if you're allowed to attend camps then it seems like a way to keep your tumbling dollars at home.
I'm not commenting either way, btw. If that's the policy of your gym then that's the law IMO. Love it or leave it ;)

Back