All-Star Returning To Cheer After An Injury

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I sure do appreciate everyone's feedback on this. It is refreshing to know that it is possible for her to return with limitations of course. My3KidsMom knowing that your CP competed a double 5 months after a femur fracture makes me very optimistic! If Emileigh is throwing a double within 5 months I would be ecstatic!!

ufomom good point about showing the doctor a video of what she does. I will make sure I bring one when it gets close to her being released.

CAMOM98 I have already implemented the balanced diet regimen as soon as she got injured. She is typically a junk food junky but I immediately stopped almost all sugars and have been making her eat a lot of protein. We also have her on multivitamins and calcium supplements.

SmileyRyleigh I am guessing she won't forget how to throw her passes, but I am guessing that it will be a long while before she gets the nerve to try some of them. In my mind, a standing full, 2 to double and arabian would be so so so painful to land if that leg isn't feeling 100%. I will even be nervous the first time she wants to try one. :-/

I sure do appreciate everyone's feedback on this. It is refreshing to know that it is possible for her to return with limitations of course. My3KidsMom knowing that your CP competed a double 5 months after a femur fracture makes me very optimistic! If Emileigh is throwing a double within 5 months I would be ecstatic!!

ufomom good point about showing the doctor a video of what she does. I will make sure I bring one when it gets close to her being released.

CAMOM98 I have already implemented the balanced diet regimen as soon as she got injured. She is typically a junk food junky but I immediately stopped almost all sugars and have been making her eat a lot of protein. We also have her on multivitamins and calcium supplements.

SmileyRyleigh I am guessing she won't forget how to throw her passes, but I am guessing that it will be a long while before she gets the nerve to try some of them. In my mind, a standing full, 2 to double and arabian would be so so so painful to land if that leg isn't feeling 100%. I will even be nervous the first time she wants to try one. :-/

I know what you mean about being nervous. She broke hers doing whip doubles, well she actually broke it in the whip and when she returned she would NOT throw a layout because it is so close to a whip that she was just to scared. She did end up doing layouts but until this High School season (Jr year) she had not thrown a whip. She competed whip through to full for High School and for the FIRST time since injury she worked whip doubles on the tumble track on Wednesday. I don't know that she will ever put the pass on the floor and if she does I will probably have a hard time watching it especially since I was in the gym the day she broke her femur. She asked me if I would freak out if she started working them again cause one of the coaches asked her to, and I told her it was up to her (even though inside I was screaming no ha) I want her to make the decision on throwing it again or not. I hope she heals quickly and will keep her in our prayers :)

I'm hoping Emileigh doesn't have any of the fears associated with throwing any certain skill again since she didn't break her leg actually doing anything. She was just in the wrong spot at the wrong time and a boy tumbled into her. If anything, I think she may be fearful of tumbling with a group of people at the same time/from the same corner. But I do believe she will be nervous trying to do difficult tumbling at first. I'll be praising Jesus the first time I see her do a back tuck on the floor! lol Then the full will be a double praise! :D

I'm hoping Emileigh doesn't have any of the fears associated with throwing any certain skill again since she didn't break her leg actually doing anything. She was just in the wrong spot at the wrong time and a boy tumbled into her. If anything, I think she may be fearful of tumbling with a group of people at the same time/from the same corner. But I do believe she will be nervous trying to do difficult tumbling at first. I'll be praising Jesus the first time I see her do a back tuck on the floor! lol Then the full will be a double praise! :D

My hand injury was from doing a cartwheel bhs...(I know..just messing around)...I told myself that I can't be scared to do it once I was healed even before I got out of my cast...mind over matter for that stuff. I'm sorry your girl got trampled! That happened to a teammate of mine in high school, wrong place wrong time and someone landed on her hand. Eek. Crazy stuff.

I broke my ankle this past saturday at spirit sports so I too am looking for things to speed up my recovery. I agree with the posters who said that strengthening her muscles will be the important part. I cant wait to start PT. I wish your daughter a speedy recovery.

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my daughter...Exactly 10 1/2 weeks since the date of injury and she has been officially released to return to cheer!!! :) She had a splint for 10 days, then was put in a non weight bearing cast for 3 weeks, then a walking cast for 3 weeks. She was then put in a walking boot for two weeks and was allowed to start PT at that time. She has been in PT for 3 weeks and is about 95% in her ROM and Strength. :) She has been one determined little girl. :) Freshman Cheer Tryouts are next week so this is perfect timing. She will be allowed to jump at tryouts. At this point, she is able to do a bhs on the hard floor. She has not attempted anything harder and I really don't want her to. She can make the squad with just a bhs. As far as getting a spot back on Obsession, well that's up to the coaches now. She has done some straight up stunts with body positions with a straight cradle and did great. I really have no clue what her coaches intentions are as far as her returning for worlds. But I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has prayed for her and her recovery! God is good and his healing hand has been upon her this whole time. :) The doctor said her speed of recovery has been AMAZING. :D

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my daughter...Exactly 10 1/2 weeks since the date of injury and she has been officially released to return to cheer!!! :) She had a splint for 10 days, then was put in a non weight bearing cast for 3 weeks, then a walking cast for 3 weeks. She was then put in a walking boot for two weeks and was allowed to start PT at that time. She has been in PT for 3 weeks and is about 95% in her ROM and Strength. :) She has been one determined little girl. :) Freshman Cheer Tryouts are next week so this is perfect timing. She will be allowed to jump at tryouts. At this point, she is able to do a bhs on the hard floor. She has not attempted anything harder and I really don't want her to. She can make the squad with just a bhs. As far as getting a spot back on Obsession, well that's up to the coaches now. She has done some straight up stunts with body positions with a straight cradle and did great. I really have no clue what her coaches intentions are as far as her returning for worlds. But I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has prayed for her and her recovery! God is good and his healing hand has been upon her this whole time. :) The doctor said her speed of recovery has been AMAZING. :D
Ahh thats great to hear! Her determination is incredible, please keep us up to date on how her tryouts go :)

That is good news! I was actually just going to post that I don't think surgery is necessarily a bad thing. I "dislocated" my ankle when I was 20, and was told that I needed surgery to have all of the tendons and ligaments in my ankle repaired. Well, guess who didn't have health insurance at the time? (America, smh:rolleyes:) So, I never had it fixed. Honestly, I wish I had the surgery, because it healed terribly, and I still have pain in it almost a decade later. It looks like a hot mess, and I can't wear heels anymore either. I know we always want to try and avoid surgery, but sometimes it is better in the long run. Not saying that's the case with your CP though, because clearly she's doing well! Also, a bone injury and a tendon/ligament injury like mine are two very different things, in terms of healing and recovery time. Wishing her all the best in the future:)

Glad that she's released. As I said to you in another thread, slow and steady :)

Last and final update on my daughter and her injury -- two nights ago she went into the gym and got the courage to throw her straight double on the spring floor. It was easy as pie for her! So last night she goes in and lands her 3 to double, standing full AND arabian to double ALL on the spring floor, too!! So less than 4 months after the day she was injured, she is back 100% (she has yet to try her 2 to double but she was 50/50 on those before the injury anyway ha). I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your feedback and encouragement.

Oh, she did not rehab quick enough to make the mat for worlds. She was able to get her triple toe back in time, but not her two to full which is what kept her off the mat. :( But she went as an alternate and cheered on her team from the sidelines and did so like a champion. :) I was very proud of her attitude.

yay good for her :) im just coming back from an injury too i sprained both my ankles in Nashville and im finally starting to tumble again .. my right one is fine and doesnt hurt anymore but my left one is still kinda hurting but im slowly working my way back .. so far ive done a back hand spring and standing tuck im kinda scared to do running... but anyways im gald to hear that your doing better good luck with everything :)

Thank you so much :) I will be praying that your return to full tumbling will go easy for you, too. :)

Back