Safety In Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm sure there are coaches out there that overwork their athletes, and one of my CP's former coaches was negligent with her safety, which is why she doesn't cheer there anymore. BUT, in my opinion it's a two-way street. There are probably just as many negligent parents that don't focus on safety one way or the other. Either by paying attention to common sense safety issues that may be going on in the gym or listening to the CP when they say something hurts. One of the most difficult things I've ever had to do in the gym (3 times now) is stand up to the coach when a reputable doctor is telling us she needs to come off the floor. If I don't pay attention and advocate for her then I'm just as negligent as the coach.

Cheer is no different than any other sport, you have coaches with the best interests of their athletes at heart and those who have only their own agenda. (I'm not talking about a healthy self-interest in the success of their gym.) For example, we have had parents leave our gym with their little darling in tow because they did not feel cp was progressing in their tumbling fast enough. Well that is because the philosophy at the gym is you don't progress until you do it right, i.e. you have your bhs, but is the technique bad - well then you will not be working on multiples until the single is correct. It means a slower progression that can be frustrating for some kids and parents, but it seems like the right approach to me. Proper technique, less chance of injury.

Cheer is no different than any other sport, you have coaches with the best interests of their athletes at heart and those who have only their own agenda. (I'm not talking about a healthy self-interest in the success of their gym.) For example, we have had parents leave our gym with their little darling in tow because they did not feel cp was progressing in their tumbling fast enough. Well that is because the philosophy at the gym is you don't progress until you do it right, i.e. you have your bhs, but is the technique bad - well then you will not be working on multiples until the single is correct. It means a slower progression that can be frustrating for some kids and parents, but it seems like the right approach to me. Proper technique, less chance of injury.

Not enough shimmies for this!

Gym and School programs have at one time or another had a safety concern, but the coaches should be AACCA Spirit Safety certified or USASF certified with the prospective level they are coaching. Cheerleading has evolved so much over the years from being an activity where members stood on the sidelines in skirts to one that has some of the more talented athletes at school. All star gyms have the best of the best, and outstanding facilities. I don't think cheerleaders are over worked, look at various other sports where those teams are outside all day.

Do you feel that safety is a big issue in cheerleading? Do you feel that some coaches are negligent and over work their atheltes?

Safety can be an issue in "Cheerleading" in general. Not to put down HS or Rec Cheer because there are many awesome HS and Rec coaches, but often times I have seen there are HS teams that have more of an advisor than a coach with maybe less than adequate experience and training. Same thing with Rec, sometimes there is more of just a team mom than necessarily a coach with adequate experience and training. That doesn't always make for the safest environment for cheerleaders. Allstar cheerleading has come a long way with regards to safety. As far as cheerleaders being over worked, I know that we practice for most of the year 2 times a week, sometimes 3. Many high school teams not just cheerleaders practice every weekday and on weekends too...

Back