All-Star Sandbagging

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh she is, I was simply answering who I thought the person I quoted was thinking it was. Lady Gaga is not a Queen of anything in my eyes.

And my question was being entirely facetious. I don't even think Lady Gaga is the Queen of Burger King, let alone pop music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question:

If an athlete that has upper level skills (level 4/5) competes on a level 2 team at their home gym because that is the highest level they offer does that count as sandbagging?

Asking because a lot of times I see conversation about being loyal to your home gym but does that still hold when being "loyal" requires an athlete to compete on teams far below their skill level?

Question:

If an athlete that has upper level skills (level 4/5) competes on a level 2 team at their home gym because that is the highest level they offer does that count as sandbagging?

Asking because a lot of times I see conversation about being loyal to your home gym but does that still hold when being "loyal" requires an athlete to compete on teams far below their skill level?
one athlete? No. But if the team has enough athletes with skills that they could be competitive as a level 3 4 or 5 team and instead choose to compete at level 2 (so they can win) then that is sandbagging (in my humble opinion)

one athlete? No. But if the team has enough athletes with skills that they could be competitive as a level 3 4 or 5 team and instead choose to compete at level 2 (so they can win) then that is sandbagging (in my humble opinion)
So, new teams have just been posted: Small Jr 2 has 18 athletes, 3 cross-over on Y 1, 6 cross-overs are also on Sr 3 and 2 cross-overs are Jr 5; Jr. 5 has 16 athletes with 6 cross-overs on Sr 5 and 10 cross-overs on Jr 3; Jr 3 has 28 athletes with 10 cross-overs on Jr 5; Jr 5 has 17 athletes and all cross-over, 6 to Sr 5, 9 to Jr 3, and 1 to Jr 2

Sandbagging or smart coaching??? Mind you this is an extremely large gym who should not even need few cross-overs if any at all.

So, new teams have just been posted: Small Jr 2 has 18 athletes, 3 cross-over on Y 1, 6 cross-overs are also on Sr 3 and 2 cross-overs are Jr 5; Jr. 5 has 16 athletes with 6 cross-overs on Sr 5 and 10 cross-overs on Jr 3; Jr 3 has 28 athletes with 10 cross-overs on Jr 5; Jr 5 has 17 athletes and all cross-over, 6 to Sr 5, 9 to Jr 3, and 1 to Jr 2

Sandbagging or smart coaching??? Mind you this is an extremely large gym who should not even need few cross-overs if any at all.

This gym may have different goals than most large gyms. It doesn't appear that Summit bids for all teams is one of them [emoji6]

That sounds like chaos! Do many gyms do teams that way? Last year our gym had the most x-overs we've ever had, but a lot of that was to create large division teams that didn't compete against small division teams at the smaller satellite gyms under the same name, or for injury coverage. Even with all our crossovers we were nowhere close to that!

Kind of depends on the philosophy of the gym. Do they allow athletes on a higher level "stretch" teams and/0r place based on need without all level skills? For example, tall junior age backspot on j5 that doesn't do any tumbling and is just needed for height in backspot position and then tumbles on her true level team of j3? I don't consider that sandbagging.
ETA- does the gym not compete at summit? If they do they might want to reconsider their placements.

Last edited:
Do coaches think about athletes or parents when they do crossovers? I mean honestly. If my CP came home w/ 2-3 different practice times/dates, it's time to talk to a coach, ESPECIALLY if they're still junior/youth age. Winning CANNOT be that real. (Even though to some it is)

Do coaches think about athletes or parents when they do crossovers? I mean honestly. If my CP came home w/ 2-3 different practice times/dates, it's time to talk to a coach, ESPECIALLY if they're still junior/youth age. Winning CANNOT be that real. (Even though to some it is)

On our try out sheet with our current program and our prior one, there was a section asking about crossing over---I assume this is standard practice, that way coaches know if the athlete/parents want to crossover.

On our try out sheet with our current program and our prior one, there was a section asking about crossing over---I assume this is standard practice, that way coaches know if the athlete/parents want to crossover.
Understandable. That's a lot for athletes to take on though. But I guess if the parents and athletes are okay w it then whatever.

Understandable. That's a lot for athletes to take on though. But I guess if the parents and athletes are okay w it then whatever.

I think it works for some kids and not for others. As long as the gym respects that, it's all that matters.

That J3 is almost entirely composed of J5 kids.

Interesting.

(I also don't tend to buy the "but they're not all really level 5 kids" thing that gets thrown around. Because no one makes a J5 out of kids who are all totally Level 3.)

Sandbagging. There is no valid reason for a large gym to have that many level 5 athletes on a level 3 team, or to cross level 5 athletes to a level 2 team.

Here's another scenario. We have a huge lot of level 3 athletes tumblewise, bulk are newly acquired skills. Plus our group of level 2 tumblers mastered .The concept is to go 4.2 while level 3 tumblers perfect their tumbling this season. Theory: have a 4.2 with strong tumbling, rather than a weak 3 in tumbling. Thoughts?

Back