All-Star Sandbagging

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I highly recommend it, especially if you're in a flood zone.

attachment.php

@Bellabooker If you search, there have been many, many, many threads on this very subject. It all boils down to this---while it may be unethical, it's not illegal and until it's illegal, people will continue to do it.

I don't think most people consider it sandbagging when it's their own gym ;) Instead there's a (insert rationale) good reason-

The gym can't field teams without crossovers is the most common I think.

Honestly, though, I'd have to pay way, way, way more attention to our gym to know if they do this or not. I know they don't for CP's team but I spend no time analyzing any of the other teams to know one way or another.

We just competed against a heavily sandbagged team.. (4.2) They are multiple time summit champions and they always have excellent routines no doubt about it, but it really makes me mad. For example, when they called their level 4 for first at awards, almost all of their level 2 and 4.2 stood up. They are clearly a big gym so they could get by without the crossovers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tap Stalk

Unfortunately, it appears or I am assuming that most gyms are feeling the pressure that they must sandbag their teams in order to be competitive against teams that are putting their level 5 athletes on level 2-3 teams and use that excuse these athletes are working on skills that they are weak on the higher level team...

Unfortunately, it appears or I am assuming that most gyms are feeling the pressure that they must sandbag their teams in order to be competitive against teams that are putting their level 5 athletes on level 2-3 teams and use that excuse these athletes are working on skills that they are weak on the higher level team...

This is a subject matter that is very much if you cant beat em join em, or else risk losing. As it has been said since it is not illegal many gyms feel like why not, if that means one more prestigious banner and recognition in the cheer community for winning a major event.Plus it becomes a major marketing coup for your gym locally.

We also can not adequately define stacking vs sandbagging. One gym stacks while another one sandbags. What is the real difference? Stacking is looked on favorably and sandbagging is not. Until there is a set rule, this will continue to go on, unless a gym's own ethics prevent them from doing so. Sad, but so.

We just competed against a heavily sandbagged team.. (4.2) They are multiple time summit champions and they always have excellent routines no doubt about it, but it really makes me mad. For example, when they called their level 4 for first at awards, almost all of their level 2 and 4.2 stood up. They are clearly a big gym so they could get by without the crossovers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tap Stalk
Even with the tighter crossover restrictions of NCA Level 4.2 lends itself to a greater temptation to sandbag on a Level 2 team. This is because you can have a Level 4 athlete on Level 4.2 team crossover to a Level 2 team and it is still considered crossing over on the same level.

By the way, I feel your pain. I think most all of us on this board have felt the sting of a team loss to a sandbagged team. Sometimes it may feel that an ethical gym doesn't stand a chance. But that's where the NCA rule restricting a team to 5 crossovers helps. A true Level 2 team has a fighting chance against a Level 2 team comprised of Level 2 athletes and five Level 4 athletes. If however, the number of crossovers isn't limited and you've got an unethical gym/team in your division that can be a difficult win. However, it is doable.

Last edited:
Back