OT School Discussions!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Sep 25, 2015
If there are any cheerleaders or parents wanting to talk about school or college then this is the place!
Juggling school and cheer, picking subjects, getting into college, international schooling differences, help, languages, people that are studying what you are etc.

It's hard juggling the stress of an impending schedule change, honor classes (that I've never been in), and focusing on cheer.
Lots of stress.
It really is hard. I'm in all honors classes for 10th grade, have lots of homework, and cheer.

If there are any cheerleaders or parents wanting to talk about school or college then this is the place!
Juggling school and cheer, picking subjects, getting into college, international schooling differences, help, languages, people that are studying what you are etc.
I'll have many rants about juggling school and cheer to post on this. Lol.
It really is hard. I'm in all honors classes for 10th grade, have lots of homework, and cheer.
Gosh girl! That must be extremely difficult. I only have one Honors class which is in English.
It's still hard for me, because I really don't know what I'm getting into here. Was it easier or harder than you thought?

What exactly is Honors and AP? I'm from Australia so it's a different system. And here we have primary K-6 and secondary 7-12. You normally turn 13 in your first year of secondary, but I didn't as the cut off is at the end of April, and mine's a January birthday, so I could be in two different years legally. I'm one of the youngest in my year, but I don't mind it that much. We start in February.

Honors classes are higher level/more advanced classes within each grade level. Some districts have honors classes starting in 7th grade, some only in high school (grades 9-12). Around here, they've quit calling them honors and call them pre-AP. AP classes are only available in high school and most are only open to juniors and seniors. AP classes are considered (by some) to be equivalent to college-level coursework. At the end of an AP class, students take a national standardized test and if you score well, some colleges and universities will give you credit for that course.

Around here, school starts near the end of August and the age cut off is August 31. You must be 5 to start kindergarten, so most students are 12 when they start 7th and 14 when they start high school. Typical breakdowns of grades are: elementary/primary usually K-5 or 6, middle school (sometimes called jr. high) 6 or 7 through 8 and high school 9-12.

I've been in college 3 weeks and I'm already overwhelmed and second-guessing my entire life. And despite my numerous, pathetic efforts have still not made friends.
I really don't understand how people do this.

I've been in college 3 weeks and I'm already overwhelmed and second-guessing my entire life. And despite my numerous, pathetic efforts have still not made friends.
I really don't understand how people do this.

Amen. I have had a difficult time making friends in college. It doesn't help that I am close to a decade older than the average student at my school. But I have learned that friends are made when you are least expecting it. The week before finals winter quarter last year, I went to sit at my usual table on my usual floor in the library. As soon as I sat down, I realized the two other people at the table were the exact two people who had been sitting there yesterday and the day before. We all looked at each other and started laughing because not only were we all sitting at the same table again, but all of us were wearing the same exact clothes we had worn the day before (don't judge me). It was over our common love for that quiet table and bad hygiene that we became friends... Just joking. But there was really no other reason why we would have become friends. We have very little in common and don't have even close to similar majors. But I still enjoy having a beer with them when it is time to close the books. And it is nice to sit next to someone you know when you are studying, even if you don't talk to each other. Those are my only two college friends, but I am okay with that.

Don't worry too much, I promise it will get better!

Honors classes are higher level/more advanced classes within each grade level. Some districts have honors classes starting in 7th grade, some only in high school (grades 9-12). Around here, they've quit calling them honors and call them pre-AP. AP classes are only available in high school and most are only open to juniors and seniors. AP classes are considered (by some) to be equivalent to college-level coursework. At the end of an AP class, students take a national standardized test and if you score well, some colleges and universities will give you credit for that course.

Around here, school starts near the end of August and the age cut off is August 31. You must be 5 to start kindergarten, so most students are 12 when they start 7th and 14 when they start high school. Typical breakdowns of grades are: elementary/primary usually K-5 or 6, middle school (sometimes called jr. high) 6 or 7 through 8 and high school 9-12.
So if you scored well and took lots of APs, could you skip some college? If you could, that that would be cool!

Gosh girl! That must be extremely difficult. I only have one Honors class which is in English.
It's still hard for me, because I really don't know what I'm getting into here. Was it easier or harder than you thought?
I have been in advanced classes since seventh grade and it all builds up. It's really not that bad. But my schedule looks like this:
English: Honors English 2
Math: Honors Algebra 2
Science: Honors Chemistry
Social Studies: Honors World History
Electives: Spanish 2, Driver's Education, Personal Fitness
The only non-Honors classes are my electives.

I have been in advanced classes since seventh grade and it all builds up. It's really not that bad. But my schedule looks like this:
Do Americans take much art or technology? Like textiles, food, wood and metal?

Wow. Must be a lot of work!
I think one Honors class is difficult.... haha

Back