All-Star Senior Restricted 5

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't understand... what's the difference? Saying 4.2 level 4 stunting level 2 tumbling OR 2.4 Level 2 tumbling level 4 stunting... it's 6 one way half a dozen another.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I don't get the difference either. Why is it wrong saying 4.2?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Edited to say: sorry, should have quoted the other post :)

Do you actually have to try out for a specific level? The gyms we've been at...you go to tryout based on your age and throw your best skills. Coaches observe and then based on your skills and what they need, place you on the best fit team.

They have level tryouts. So if you have the minimum tumbling skills for L1 you try out for that level. The tryout packet lists the minimum tumbling required without a spot for each level. For L4 you need a running layout, two to layout, and standing tuck. For L5 you need a running full, two to full, and a quad jump to tuck.

So you go to a specific level tryout with all the athletes that can throw those skills. They evaluate your ability in those skills and they do some stunting and jumps (because it isn't all about tumbling and often the stunting skills can be a level behind the athlete's tumbling skills). They then tell the athlete what level they will practice at for the summer. All ages practice together at level, so this past summer my 10yo CP practiced L3 with girls from 6ish to 17ish with L3 skills.

They observe the athletes all summer and move them to different levels if they think they should.

In August they will name the team rosters.

So we came to our gym last June. They evaluated her skills and had her practice the rest of the summer on L3. Then last August she was rostered to their SL3 team. They begin team practices in August.

Did I explain it clearly or is it confusing?

They have level tryouts. So if you have the minimum tumbling skills for L1 you try out for that level. The tryout packet lists the minimum tumbling required without a spot for each level. For L4 you need a running layout, two to layout, and standing tuck. For L5 you need a running full, two to full, and a quad jump to tuck.

So you go to a specific level tryout with all the athletes that can throw those skills. They evaluate your ability in those skills and they do some stunting and jumps (because it isn't all about tumbling and often the stunting skills can be a level behind the athlete's tumbling skills). They then tell the athlete what level they will practice at for the summer. All ages practice together at level, so this past summer my 10yo CP practiced L3 with girls from 6ish to 17ish with L3 skills.

They observe the athletes all summer and move them to different levels if they think they should.

In August they will name the team rosters.

So we came to our gym last June. They evaluated her skills and had her practice the rest of the summer on L3. Then last August she was rostered to their SL3 team. They begin team practices in August.

Did I explain it clearly or is it confusing?
Explained very well! :) It's a totally different approach than what my CP has ever experienced.

Do you actually have to try out for a specific level? The gyms we've been at...you go to tryout based on your age and throw your best skills. Coaches observe and then based on your skills and what they need, place you on the best fit team.
most if not all gyms do it that way.

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

most if not all gyms do it that way.

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!
The gyms we've been at have done tryouts like @MissCongeniality explained. The kids go to the time for their age group regardless of skill. They throw their hardest tumble pass, jumps, etc and the coaches place them on the team they feel best fits the kid & gym.

Been a while since actually paid attention to tryouts but I think Our last gym did it by what level you were interested in and then depending on how you did they would ask you to comeback for a different level. Current gym might do by age.

Pretending to be a parent since 1993

Same here. It's really more of an evaluation than a tryout. You're most likely going to make a team, just a matter of which based on your age and skills.

Also: I'm not familiar with other programs but in my eyes, what you "HAVE" for evsaluations is what you're hitting clean and consistent.

Not what you "just hit yesterday in privates."
Not what you can do if I "just stand over there and spot a little bit."
Not what goes in the air but is practically doing the Macarena because it's so unstable.

But what you HAVE by yourself without myself and other coaches fearing for life and limb when you throw it/put it in the air.

Maybe it would be better for her to try for the L4 and then also remain on the S3. I just don't know. I think asking her coaches is also a good way to know what they think.
I don't know your gym personally, but from what I can see they do a good job of placing their athletes. Since you didn't go to the actual tryouts last year, I would ask which tryout she should attend. It sounds like she has made great progression this year, so just because she doesn't have every single skill mastered yet doesn't mean they won't consider her for the higher level, particularly if she double rosters. And as I tell my kids, you are trying out for next year every day you are at practice and at competition this year - the coaches are already watching and making plans for the next season. Good luck!

I don't know your gym personally, but from what I can see they do a good job of placing their athletes. Since you didn't go to the actual tryouts last year, I would ask which tryout she should attend. It sounds like she has made great progression this year, so just because she doesn't have every single skill mastered yet doesn't mean they won't consider her for the higher level, particularly if she double rosters. And as I tell my kids, you are trying out for next year every day you are at practice and at competition this year - the coaches are already watching and making plans for the next season. Good luck!

Good, good advice!! I also know that the coaches move athletes around in the summer months before August rosters depending on where the athlete will be a best fit for the teams they are thinking of. This past summer they kept asking CP if she had her standing tuck yet. Physically yes but mentally no. I have to say I trust them and they seem to do a really good job of placing their athletes as you said. It is a good place to be.

Perfect timing for that comment - today during cp's private, her tumbling coach asked her who she was basing on each of her teams, wanted to see her jumps to tuck, and told her what tumbling skills he really wanted her to work on and master.

And as I tell my kids, you are trying out for next year every day you are at practice and at competition this year - the coaches are already watching and making plans for the next season. Good luck!

Shimmy for truth!

When you coach, you're seeing EVERYTHING. EVERY DAY.

There are kids RIGHT NOW whom coaches have their eye on to move up because they've been in tumbling working on skills for the next level since January.

I have always told parents about that when they wonder why their kid was not suggested for the next level. While yours were the ones talking in practice, always late, not fixing things when coaches point them out, or skipping tumbling (ours is unlimited with tuition - no excuses) someone else was working hard.

Last edited:
Shimmy for truth!

When you coach, you're seeing EVERYTHING. EVERY DAY.

There are kids RIGHT NOW whom coaches have their eye on to move up because they've been in tumbling working on skills for the next level since January.

I have always told parents about that when they wonder why their kid was not suggested for the next level. While yours were the ones talking in practice, always late, not fixing things when coaches point them out, skipping tumbling (ours is unlimited with tuition - no excuses) someone else was working

Double agree! As a coach and an athlete, I'm always very aware of myself and others. Whether you're at practice, open gym or a competition, you have to realize that people are watching you. So many people freak out about tryouts, but that's only half the battle. There is a time for play and a time for hard work, and a lot of people can't draw a line between them.

The best athletes are driven by commitment. They may fall but they always get up and that's what coaches look for. They don't want you to be content with being good, they want you to always try to be the best. If you're constantly working hard, being on time and listening well you've got an advantage, because in their eyes you're pretty much guaranteed to keep getting better.

And as I tell my kids, you are trying out for next year every day you are at practice and at competition this year - the coaches are already watching and making plans for the next season. Good luck!
We tell our kids that all the time. They tryout for us all season long.

Back