All-Star Senior Restricted 5

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So many people freak out about tryouts, but that's only half the battle.

We tell our kids that all the time. They tryout for us all season long.

Yes!

Example: Don't throw me a janky running tuck on evaluation day then come back at me asking "Why didn't I make level 3?"

Yes, you threw it. But you've been throwing it the same way for 4 months, despite all the feedback you've been getting on it. All year long, I've been suggesting that you go to the Level 3 skills class. You did not. Yet you think "Oh I threw it on eval day, check!"

Nope.

Getting to a level is more than just chucking a skill on eval day. It's about doing it well and consistently.

It's also about whether you can handle being coached at that next level.

Yes, you chucked that skill, but you are late, you talk during practice, etc. You may not even be mentally mature enough to take on the coaching at the next level.

This is ESPECIALLY true of L5. If you can't even consistently shut your mouth at practice at your L4 team, you likely can't at your L5 practice and coaches don't have time for that (especially when these are kids likely being groomed and prepared for Worlds level teams.

Last edited:
Yes!

Example: Don't throw me a janky running tuck on evaluation day then come back at me asking "Why didn't I make level 3?"

Yes, you threw it. But you've been throwing it the same way for 4 months, despite all the feedback you've been getting on it. All year long, I've been suggesting that you go to the Level 3 skills class. You did not. Yet you think "Oh I threw it on eval day, check!"

Nope.

Getting to a level is more than just chucking a skill on eval day. It's about doing it well and consistently.

It's also about whether you can handle being coached at that next level.

Yes, you chucked that skill, but you are late, you talk during practice, etc. You may not even be mentally mature enough to take on the coaching at the next level.

This is ESPECIALLY true of L5. If you can't even consistently shut your mouth at practice at your L4 team, you likely can't at your L5 practice and coaches don't have time for that (especially when these are kids likely being groomed and prepared for Worlds level teams.
I love how crowded tumbling classes and privates get this time of year. Gotta get that tumbling skill for tryouts.

If it were me, I would rather be in level 4 where all my skills could be used and I would be one of the stronger members.

Not saying that she would at all but I was always on a higher level team and I didn't have the tumbling to match the level, at times I felt like I was bringing my team down.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Totally agree! I love teams that are "maxed out" on skill levels and also all of the skills of the level are perfected. Also, looking from your view too, as someone that is one of the "stronger" tumblers you can help some of the weaker ones.

If it were me, I would rather be in level 4 where all my skills could be used and I would be one of the stronger members.

Not saying that she would at all but I was always on a higher level team and I didn't have the tumbling to match the level, at times I felt like I was bringing my team down.

Ding ding ding!

I think that very few kids and moms understand this. They see the holy grail of 5 and they just want it. They think "oh we chucked the skills, so we're good, right?"

It's hard for coaches to look at kids and tell them they're just not ready yet, but it really is for the best.

If a kid has the "helicopter leg" full down and a running full that she ONLY hit on tryout day that gives me anxiety, I cannot in good faith say she's ready for 5. I just can't.

If the R5 team is full of girls who girls who are seriously going to be Worlds team 5 ready in 6 months and all have textbook perfect fulls, it's really going to not only hurt the TEAM for her to be on it, but it's going to hurt HER.

She is going to be the one "playing catch up" all season long and "chasing" the skills that everyone else already has. You cannot even enjoy cheer when you're constantly wondering "Am I going to get pulled from the routine?" "Am I going to be the girl throwing a LAYOUT in a 5 routine because my full is so janky?" It's too much. Which is why it's important for some people to STAY in L4.

Ding ding ding!

I think that very few kids and moms understand this. They see the holy grail of 5 and they just want it. They think "oh we chucked the skills, so we're good, right?"

It's hard for coaches to look at kids and tell them they're just not ready yet, but it really is for the best.

If a kid has the "helicopter leg" full down and a running full that she ONLY hit on tryout day that gives me anxiety, I cannot in good faith say she's ready for 5. I just can't.

If the R5 team is full of girls who girls who are seriously going to be Worlds team 5 ready in 6 months and all have textbook perfect fulls, it's really going to not only hurt the TEAM for her to be on it, but it's going to hurt HER.

She is going to be the one "playing catch up" all season long and "chasing" the skills that everyone else already has. You cannot even enjoy cheer when you're constantly wondering "Am I going to get pulled from the routine?" "Am I going to be the girl throwing a LAYOUT in a 5 routine because my full is so janky?" It's too much. Which is why it's important for some people to STAY in L4.
yes, and there were multiple practices my senior year where I was fearful of being replaced or I felt like I was hurting my team. I loved them to death and wouldn't change that season for a single thing but I did struggle at times.

I love how crowded tumbling classes and privates get this time of year. Gotta get that tumbling skill for tryouts.

47266450.jpg

Ding ding ding!

Exactly. People believe that L5 is the end all or be all, and they constantly push themselves and their kids to get the requirements to be on one of those teams. But it's not just about being able to do the skill, it's about being able to do it well.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard, "Little X is ready to begin working fulls," or "Little Y got her full, she's ready for Level 5," I'd be richer than I could even dream. Skills come in steps; you should have a solid tuck before a layout, and a solid layout before a full. Yet time and time again I see kids get there layout and a week later they're asking to be taught how to full. Sure you might be able to pull a full with a shaky layout, but does anyone actually want to put that on the floor? It's not safe for the kid nor good for the rest of the team. You need to practice the SCEs before you move on. Consistent and Safety and Execution.

How can you get better if you're not only battling with a skill, but also with the mental game of, "Can I do it? Will I do it? What if I don't do it?" It's hard enough to perfect a skill without the added pressure of disappointing the rest of your team.

All of you have shared some extremely good advice. Extremely good.

For me I think the fact that we started in a small gym where the athletes frequently crossed over without the skill so that there could be a team has had an effect on my understanding of it all. Don't misunderstand. At the smaller gym we would have about 75-85% team tumbling on that level but there were always some that just weren't there yet that brought other things to the team, like stunting. So athletes would be on teams without a particular level skill or without good mastery of the skill.

Your advice has made me realize now that we are in a much bigger gym we don't have to do that anymore. I would much rather her be on a L4 team where she is really able to be a very strong team member than to be a "good" member on a L5 where she is less confident in her skills. Even if she can throw them. She has only been doing those L5 tumbling skills consistently for about a month. It's just not enough time for them to be "automatic" to her.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience!!!! I'm going to suggest that she try out for L4 and let the cards fall where they may. Love the Fireceboard support!! :kiss:

You say your gym has a j5 team too? Often times j5 teams do not have full-squad fulls. By the time choreography/competition season comes around, she most likely will be pretty consistent with those level 5 skills, and if she does a layout for the first comp, no big deal. She will also be with kids more her age, which I feel is a huge social plus compared to a senior team. I never liked being the youngest on the team personally. You should ask her if she would rather be on a junior or senior team because every kid is different socially. In the end I'm sure your coaches will have a good idea of where she fits in and will be utilized best!

Yes they have a J5 team. The coaches know her strengths (and areas that need improvement). I think if they have her in mind for a particular team/level they will ask her about it at try outs. Parents have told me the coaches do that as well to get a feel of where the athletes are willing to go in terms of crossovers if they need them. Thanks for the advice about the Junior/Senior thing. I'll ask her about it.

No kidding!! Especially the privates for school cheer!

YEP. I told girls a LONG time ago that I was taking this year off (finalizing adoption of our foster kiddo) and that come spring, I was not going to be doing privates so they'd better try to get in somewhere else. I have NO LESS than 10 inquiries from HS clients in my inbox right now who are going to be very sad.

All year long chilling out, going to the movies with your boyfriend, being all "whatever!" about getting your skills (particularly for those who will NEED tumbling to move up to a Varsity or comp squad.)

Then April hits and it's OH LAWD JESUS IT'S A TRYOUT.

AND I AIN'T GOT NO BACKHANDSPRING OR NOTHING JESUS!

You'd better ROUND OFF FOR YOU LIFE! #ain'tnobodygottimefothat

No kidding!! Especially the privates for school cheer! I watch some of these girls taking privates and say to myself, yeah you should have been working on those jumps a year ago, not 1 month before tryouts :oops:
For real.... I'm usually the last private on Monday nights and have the gym to myself and tonight there were at least 3 after me and two others at the same time.... Tryouts are tomorrow :D
Meanwhile the only thing I did was throw my running tuck on dead mat twice to reassure myself and then had my private as usual :cool:

My favorite:

Me: Hello?

Parent: Yes. My daughter needs privates for her BHS for school.

Me: Ok. When is her tryout?

Parent: 2 days. She has it without a spot, but she really just needs to clean her technique.

Me: Ok.

Kid shows up and she's about as close to a BHS as I am to Japan. She is so heavily spotted that I'm practically throwing it for her.

Her tryout is in 2 days. She needs Jesus. Not a private.

Last edited:
My favorite:

Me: Hello?

Parent: Yes. My daughter needs privates for her BHS for school.

Me: Ok. When is her tryout?

Parent: 2 days. She has it without a spot, but she really just needs to clean her technique.

Me: Ok.

Kid shows up and she's about as close to a BHS as I am to Japan. She is so heavily spotted that I'm practically throwing it for her.

Her tryout is in 2 days. Like, she needs Jesus. Not a private.
This is my high school team in a nutshell

Back