Setting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 30, 2010
I have had my round off handspring tuck of awhile now but I just don't set very much and i whip my tuck back. I can do it fine on the rod floor. for some reason I just can't set on the spring floor. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Do drills of RHS set over and over. Lay on your back arms up by your ears as if you're setting and pull your knees up to your nose to enhance the set.

Try clapping your hands behind your head with straight arms (like a seal) while you set. I use that a lot with kids and they almost instantly get a better set.
But if you're whipping your tuck it could be from throwing your head back or having your feet too forward while your setting... video would help.

CoachFrank203 any tips on how to get a more explosive jump to handstand in a bhs for taller, athletically built young girls? Their legs seem heavy and they have a harder time keeping their legs from bending and separating. This is easily fixed in my more compact athletes so I'm trying to determine what I need to do to help my taller (younger so also less coordinated/strong than older more conditioned girls) athletes conquer this.

And to not totally hijack the thread and stay on setting for tucks what are some good tips to work on using their arms in a set? I have 2 girls that can scrape the ceiling in their (running) tucks but never lift their arms an inch. When they do standing tucks they hit the set right at their shoulder and stop. I want to see the full set so I'm constantly working to fix it but no matter how many drills they do, its not "taking" in the execution. I won't let them progress to layouts if they don't set and it's been a year. I've tried several tactics on this particular issue. I'd love to get your insight.

Without seeing you it's hard to "diagnose".....my guess is that it probably goes back to your roundoff. A strong, powerful roundoff is the key to good tumbling. Could you post a video?

My daughters coach who is the one who pretty much gave her the skills to get her tuck says that all the time. If she busts a tuck he says fix your round off and take your time, if you don't fix the round off you won't make it around. I never thought of what my daughters round off has to do with her tuck but it definitely makes sense!

CoachFrank203 any tips on how to get a more explosive jump to handstand in a bhs for taller, athletically built young girls? Their legs seem heavy and they have a harder time keeping their legs from bending and separating. This is easily fixed in my more compact athletes so I'm trying to determine what I need to do to help my taller (younger so also less coordinated/strong than older more conditioned girls) athletes conquer this.

And to not totally hijack the thread and stay on setting for tucks what are some good tips to work on using their arms in a set? I have 2 girls that can scrape the ceiling in their (running) tucks but never lift their arms an inch. When they do standing tucks they hit the set right at their shoulder and stop. I want to see the full set so I'm constantly working to fix it but no matter how many drills they do, its not "taking" in the execution. I won't let them progress to layouts if they don't set and it's been a year. I've tried several tactics on this particular issue. I'd love to get your insight.

I'll def need video of the handsprings to tell you what I think would speed them up, but for the set I can give you my favorite drill for teaching it, you'll need a tramp or tumbl trak though...
I'm a visual learner myself so I explain best with video, made this one for you

I'll def need video of the handsprings to tell you what I think would speed them up, but for the set I can give you my favorite drill for teaching it, you'll need a tramp or tumbl trak though...
I'm a visual learner myself so I explain best with video, made this one for you

you rock! I can't open the video on my phone, but I will when I get on my computer tomorrow. I can't wait to see it. We have several tramps and a tumble trak so I'm ready to use it!

I'll film her next time she's in the gym and send it to you.

Back