College Should The Uca And Nca College Nationals Merge?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think U of L can absorb it because of the size of their program, of which we are trying to grow ours to 50 people (25 per squad). Having a Gold (D1A small coed) and White (hopefully eventually a competing intermediate coed) will allow us the freedom to do handle all any possible tournament run. Because of the surface restriction, what skills we do at appearances are not that big a deal based on skill level. We have program wide standing tucks and basketball stunts. As for motion and appearance no one is allowed in the program if they don't meet an acceptable level of competence in that area. We would probably rotate through different groups going on the trip and I would probably base it around routine groups so when someone is missing it wouldn't mess with practice as much. Same with women's bball. (I am discussing this out loud so I know the idea makes sense for when it does happen)
Looks like you are darn near close to ready for this stage of your program! I'm rooting for you guys, should work out nicely in your favor!

I think U of L can absorb it because of the size of their program, of which we are trying to grow ours to 50 people (25 per squad). Having a Gold (D1A small coed) and White (hopefully eventually a competing intermediate coed) will allow us the freedom to do handle all any possible tournament run. Because of the surface restriction, what skills we do at appearances are not that big a deal based on skill level. We have program wide standing tucks and basketball stunts. As for motion and appearance no one is allowed in the program if they don't meet an acceptable level of competence in that area. We would probably rotate through different groups going on the trip and I would probably base it around routine groups so when someone is missing it wouldn't mess with practice as much. Same with women's bball. (I am discussing this out loud so I know the idea makes sense for when it does happen)

Does NCA allow teams from the same school to compete in regular and intermediate?

Does NCA allow teams from the same school to compete in regular and intermediate?

I haven't seen a rule that says no. And there are no crossovers, regrettably.

It's been done, so yes. Towson University has an All Girl DI and an All Girl Intermediate.

Bridgewater State has an All Girl DIII and All Girl Intermediate, Maryland used to have both at one point. Lots of schools have a regular and intermediate team.

I can't say that I know for certain if missing those two weeks would hurt or not as we hadn't ever gone to NCA in April while I was a part of the team. For stuff leading up to sweet 16, elite 8, and final four, those weeks are heavy with traveling for 6-12 of the cheerleaders. Then it leaves the decision of do I send the not as talented team members who aren't prepping for nationals to the events and hope they still leave a great impression at alumni events/rallies and on CBS or do I hope my talented kids are that talented that they can jump back into competition prep mode after being gone for so many days?

That said, U of L has been consistently doing well in March Madness play in recent year, I wonder if those weeks have been an issue for them? Also will it for OK State this year if their bball team goes as far as expected?

So many questions with so few answers! lol
As a mom of a UofL Cheerleader, last year was just plain crazy for all UofL athletes. The cheerleaders not only cheered the Sugar Bowl, the NCAA men's Basketball Championship but also the woman's NCAA Championship. All the while, trying to get the kids ready to compete in Daytona for NCA nationals. Matter of fact, some of the kids traveled directly to Daytona from New Orleans. This is also at a time when mid terms are going on. I don't know how these kids do it, but they manage. They are amazing and I am very proud of all of them.
BTW, my son is pictured with 2 teammates and the trophy from Daytona last year. Our small coed took 1st.
And, for those of you wanting to see UCA style VS NCA style, I have heard rumors UK is sending a International level 6 team to Worlds this year.

@ScottyB
IAs well I can give my athletes an Xmas break which is more attractive when talking to recruits and especially working around bowl games and basketball games. I found very little advantage to going to UCA at all outside of being less about tumbling and not needing to hire a choreographer.

ugh...I am dealing with this right now. We finally convinced our coaches to let us go home on the 23rd. If it were up to our coach and not our crazy family members, we would be practicing on the 24th. I love my school and my team but not getting to go home on Christmas is crazy and a HUGE disadvantage to UCA in my opinion!

ugh...I am dealing with this right now. We finally convinced our coaches to let us go home on the 23rd. If it were up to our coach and not our crazy family members, we would be practicing on the 24th. I love my school and my team but not getting to go home on Christmas is crazy and a HUGE disadvantage to UCA in my opinion!

Let me guess, you either cheer for the University of Tennessee or the University of Memphis? I know these two schools will be ones to watch for at the UCA Nationals (Memphis BTW is the reigning Division IA champ)?

Honestly asking because while we are not consistently going to the tournament I think we will eventually get back there because we are ACC and have been to the top before and I wanna know the challenge ahead of time:

I start my college routine in August. We got our choreography in October. The skills we are competing we have been doing, among others, all of football season. Our routine is, IMO, so hard for us we couldn't hit it until March, maybe. By April we will have competed once, exhibitioned at halftime twice, and whatever else we can at local gyms for practice and recruiting. That is all figuring we make the Final Four (granted we havent made it yet and wont for a while). Does two weeks in March that you miss hurt that much? I am asking strictly to prepare if necessary.
I really think this is the most effective way to prepare for Nationals. We tried to do something similar to this last year but it ended up hurting us because not everyone made grades. So then it took weeks to add in the alternates and rework the whole routine. This year we're trying something a little different with doing choreography in January since we will have grade reports at the end of December, but I'm afraid we just won't have the time to properly prepare for Nationals. Especially with our basketball team performing at the level they are right now. I guess we'll see what happens!

Back