Should we talk to coach about concern

• Yes

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Sep 6, 2017
Hi,
On one of my daughters teams she is a base to a young girl who still has accidents. My daughter said she often smells like dried pee and she doesn't feel comfortable touching her but she is afraid to say something bc one of the helper coaches is her mom. Another mom had contacted the owners/coaches about this and they just removed her from that stunt group (they also got really mad at this family for bringing this up) with that said is this a big deal, should we let it go? I want to help my daughter as I wouldn't want to base in that position if it was me, but maybe this is something that occurs a lot. It's a 6 yr old on youth team.

Hi,
On one of my daughters teams she is a base to a young girl who still has accidents. My daughter said she often smells like dried pee and she doesn't feel comfortable touching her but she is afraid to say something bc one of the helper coaches is her mom. Another mom had contacted the owners/coaches about this and they just removed her from that stunt group (they also got really mad at this family for bringing this up) with that said is this a big deal, should we let it go? I want to help my daughter as I wouldn't want to base in that position if it was me, but maybe this is something that occurs a lot. It's a 6 yr old on youth team.

This was an issue with my daughters team last year. The little girl they were basing was actually wet a lot of the time or would have the accidents during practice and so the backspot was so afraid to touch her that it actually put the little girl in a dangerous position of being dropped. Many parents spoke to the owners and coaches numerous times before it was finally handled. This does need to be addressed because first it is unsanitary and also dangerous. We understand that 4-5 year olds may have accidents but if your child is one of those who does the. Maybe during practices the parents need to allow that child to wear a pull up during practice they are a flyer. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was an issue with my daughters team last year. The little girl they were basing was actually wet a lot of the time or would have the accidents during practice and so the backspot was so afraid to touch her that it actually put the little girl in a dangerous position of being dropped. Many parents spoke to the owners and coaches numerous times before it was finally handled. This does need to be addressed because first it is unsanitary and also dangerous. We understand that 4-5 year olds may have accidents but if your child is one of those who does the. Maybe during practices the parents need to allow that child to wear a pull up during practice they are a flyer. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I am nervous bc the last mom who address it suggested the pull up and the owners said it would be wrong for them to ask her to wear...she is 6/7, for me the mom is right there helping the team so she should be able to change but I guess she just pretends it doesn't happen. My daughter is a flyer on a different team so we are kind of afraid of retaliation if we cross the coaches/owner on this issue when someone else brought it up before...but I am glad to know it's not okay. The other mom said she was told it's just a part of cheer...

I would absolutely say something. Accidents happen but this appears to be more than an isolated incident. I would not want my daughter basing someone who is wet and smells like pee constantly. It in incredibly unsanitary and just gross. Why should the rest of the group suffer for 1 child. If the mother is ignoring it shame on her. If the gym would retaliate against your child for something like this I would be looking for a new gym.

This is unacceptable. If the concern is addressed, especially by multiple parents, and the gym is unwilling to do anything and/or takes it out on another athlete then I would leave the gym as soon as it is feasible.

We are under "contract" and if you quit for any reason (including injury) there is a $500 rechoreo fee and they will also charge the full yr. tuition, and loss of all the comp fees and choreo already paid, so there is also that, but I think I will need to try to say something and see if one more voice helps.

We are under "contract" and if you quit for any reason (including injury) there is a $500 rechoreo fee and they will also charge the full yr. tuition, and loss of all the comp fees and choreo already paid, so there is also that, but I think I will need to try to say something and see if one more voice helps.
I'm not trying to be rude but why would
You sign a contract like that? I understand not getting any money back that you have already paid but having to pay for future costs plus a 500 rechoro fee is excessive and that includes an injured child that's crazy to me.

I'm not trying to be rude but why would
You sign a contract like that? I understand not getting any money back that you have already paid but having to pay for future costs plus a 500 rechoro fee is excessive and that includes an injured child that's crazy to me.

The contract won't hold up in court, but I understand why it's hard to leave mid-season, which is why I said whenever feasible. It is definitely something I would address with the coach and gym owner.

This is actually a sanitation issue and LEGALY it is the gyms resposibility to ensure the sanitary environment of the athletes ... accidents DO happen... however a regular occurance IS a SANATION/Health Hazard issue. I would politely communicate this to your gym owner that they are putting their athletes AND their business at risk.

My daughter at that age would have little accidents sometimes at home if she was busy playing and forgot to go. But not at school and never if we went out somewhere because I made sure she went to the bathroom before leaving the house. I don't get this. I'm thinking possible child neglect if she turns up stinking of old pee. I feel awful for the kid. Could it be as simple as she turns up with clean clothes and goes pee before practice? Maybe the coach should suggest this to the mom. Sorry you have to deal with this. :(

Back