OT Sports Medicine Major

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I wasn't sure where to put this. I'm looking for a college in the us where I can major in sports medicine (not physical therapy) I have not Been able to find one yet, but then again I haven't really searched that hard.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

As others pointed out, it can be termed differently by different universities. @ShoWStoppeR is working on her degree at Slippery Rock University in Pennsylvania. My daughter just graduated from UAB here in Birmingham with her degree in Exercise Science.

Good luck.

I wasn't sure where to put this. I'm looking for a college in the us where I can major in sports medicine (not physical therapy) I have not Been able to find one yet, but then again I haven't really searched that hard.

"sports medicine" is a very.... broad topic. it's not really a major per say but a focus i suppose if that makes sense. I think what you need to do is look more specifically at what you are interested in doing. If your focus, for example, is "sports medicine for athletes" (since you said not physical therapy) then that would be something along the lines of what I'm doing, which is athletic training. I work with our sports teams at the university, where I get hands on experience with prevention and treatment, amongst our other domains. I do their rehabs, which include different areas like modalities and strengthening exercises, as well as tape, evaluate, do emergency care if necessary, doctors referrals, etc. I cover all their practices and games. I can give you more details if you'd like, but that's a brief run down. there's so many options you have to choose from though, depending on what you want your focus to be. I would be more than happy to help you figure it out though, and to narrow down your schools as well. feel free to PM me if you want further help :)

"sports medicine" is a very.... broad topic. it's not really a major per say but a focus i suppose if that makes sense. I think what you need to do is look more specifically at what you are interested in doing. If your focus, for example, is "sports medicine for athletes" (since you said not physical therapy) then that would be something along the lines of what I'm doing, which is athletic training. I work with our sports teams at the university, where I get hands on experience with prevention and treatment, amongst our other domains. I do their rehabs, which include different areas like modalities and strengthening exercises, as well as tape, evaluate, do emergency care if necessary, doctors referrals, etc. I cover all their practices and games. I can give you more details if you'd like, but that's a brief run down. there's so many options you have to choose from though, depending on what you want your focus to be. I would be more than happy to help you figure it out though, and to narrow down your schools as well. feel free to PM me if you want further help :)

That sounds exactly what I want to do! Thank you!

If it is truly athletic training you are interested in, try National Athletic Trainers' Association | ( the National Athletic Trainers Association website). There is a breakdown of accredited programs state by state there. I am a certified athletic trainer who has degrees from two schools with great programs in NC, and know a lot about different programs across the country. Just message me if you have questions or want some advice! Good luck!

Sounds like you're looking for Athletic Training.

My best friend and about 5 other sorority sisters are graduates of or in the Athletic Training program at South Carolina. They love it, but it's tons of work. It's a very tight knit school where all the teachers know your name. It's very competitive, you complete your freshman year and then "apply" to the ATEP (Athletic Training Education Program). Once you're in the program you really can't beat the experience, working for local high schools and SEC sports as well as some other local colleges without Athletic Training programs.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can try to help or put you in touch with them.

Back