OT Sports Medicine Major

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jun 25, 2013
I wasn't sure where to put this. I'm looking for a college in the us where I can major in sports medicine (not physical therapy) I have not Been able to find one yet, but then again I haven't really searched that hard.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I don't think you can just major in sports medicine. To practice sports med here you have to go to undergrad, then medical school, then do an orthopedic residency, then a sports medicine residency. You could look at athletic training or PT or if you do want to go to med school then I'd recommend biology or biochem as an undergrad major

The Fierce Board App!

I don't know wher you are from but we might call it something different here in the u.s. You can look up kinesiology

Definitely look into kinesiology. I'm a freshman majoring in it and it's "the study of how the body moves." I am going more in the physical therapy direction, but I also have a "pre-med co-major", something I think is unique to my school? (don't quote me on that). Just in case I do decide to go to med school. However, I do know of many kids in my major who plan to go to med school for sports medicine. You could also be a biology, microbiology, chem major. It really doesn't matter what your undergrad major is. You could be a journalism major and still go to med school as long as you meet the requirements and have the GPA and MCAT scores for it.

Sports Medicine is not a major; it is a fellowship that MD's can apply and train for. Typically Sports Medicine fellowships are offered through Family Medicine departments at medical schools, but not always. A typical path and timeline would be...

Undergrad (4yrs) Med School (4yrs) Residency (4/5yrs) Fellowship (1yr).

A lot of people have never even heard of SM, and those that have think it is a hybrid of orthopedics and athletic training. To an extent, yes, but they also take care of other diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, etc, as they relate to physical performance. That's why many of the SM fellowships stem from Family Medicine programs.

What you are looking for is "Exercise and Sports Science" or a close approximation. This allows you to then focus on the area of your choice like athletic training, physical therapy, nutrition, pre-med options, kinesiology, etc. There are many schools that offer this as a major one of which is UNC. Typically however it is at the larger schools and more often schools with secondary medical programs. This is a huge field that is gaining popularity much like sports management.

My daughter wants to do the same and she's been researching it.

What you are looking for is "Exercise and Sports Science" or a close approximation. This allows you to then focus on the area of your choice like athletic training, physical therapy, nutrition, pre-med options, kinesiology, etc. There are many schools that offer this as a major one of which is UNC. Typically however it is at the larger schools and more often schools with secondary medical programs. This is a huge field that is gaining popularity much like sports management.

My daughter wants to do the same and she's been researching it.

Exercise Science is also a major gaining more popularity! I was so undecided between that and kinesiology when declaring my major as both would lead me in the right direction to what I want to do.

I wasn't sure where to put this. I'm looking for a college in the us where I can major in sports medicine (not physical therapy) I have not Been able to find one yet, but then again I haven't really searched that hard.

Look for schools that offer kinesiology. It's the fancy term for sports medicine. Westmont College in Southern California currently has the number one ranked program in the country, I believe. I think cal state long beach also has a pretty strong program :)

Look for schools that offer kinesiology. It's the fancy term for sports medicine. Westmont College in Southern California currently has the number one ranked program in the country, I believe. I think cal state long beach also has a pretty strong program :)

Thank you! And those aren't too far from home!

If anything, speak with an academic counsellor at your high school. They'll understand exactly what your looking for, be able to explain the entire process and help pick the school that is the best fit for you. As knowledgeable as the people of fierceboard are, your counsellor will have much more knowledge and many more resources.

If anything, speak with an academic counsellor at your high school. They'll understand exactly what your looking for, be able to explain the entire process and help pick the school that is the best fit for you. As knowledgeable as the people of fierceboard are, your counsellor will have much more knowledge and many more resources.

Debatable. My high school counselor was very opinionated, slightly incompetent and had her own ideas of what I should be doing. I ended up doing all my college researching and such on my own (+ with my parents). I have found this is somewhat the norm with high school counselors, at least around here. They seem to be useless.

Debatable. My high school counselor was very opinionated, slightly incompetent and had her own ideas of what I should be doing. I ended up doing all my college researching and such on my own (+ with my parents). I have found this is somewhat the norm with high school counselors, at least around here. They seem to be useless.
Agreed.

Back