All-Star Starting A Choreography Business... Need Advice!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 21, 2011
I am seriously considering starting a choreography business. But I have no idea where to start. I would really appreciate any kind of advice or guidance. Thanks in advance!

Do you have any material to show what you're working with?!? One of the main parts is going to be growing your clientele!!!

I'd start the way I suggest most people start- small! The first 3 years of starting your own business are crucial. It's about customer service, good product, and good marketing. When it comes to choreo, offer to do local HS/pop warner/MS etc. teams. Dance choreo for games, comp choreo, etc. Get your name out there as someone who can be easy to work with, reliable, and efficient. It's when someone goes 'Oh, I love your routine, who did your choreo' that you want their next words to be 'It was So-And-So! They were so fantastic!' And then raving about your work and good business! An internet presence is KEY in this age, so maybe once you start building up, create a facebook page JUST for your business. Keep the pictures of you with a lampshade on your head for your private page lol. Also- if you could film the finished product, you can put it on a website. Those are my suggestions..

If you don't do your own music make sure you find someone who is dependable. It is a hard thing to do but I have tried 3 different people and all of them have let me down. Next year I will try a new one. When I find the right one though you can bet your buttons I will stay with them for a long time.

I'd start the way I suggest most people start- small! The first 3 years of starting your own business are crucial. It's about customer service, good product, and good marketing. When it comes to choreo, offer to do local HS/pop warner/MS etc. teams. Dance choreo for games, comp choreo, etc. Get your name out there as someone who can be easy to work with, reliable, and efficient. It's when someone goes 'Oh, I love your routine, who did your choreo' that you want their next words to be 'It was So-And-So! They were so fantastic!' And then raving about your work and good business! An internet presence is KEY in this age, so maybe once you start building up, create a facebook page JUST for your business. Keep the pictures of you with a lampshade on your head for your private page lol. Also- if you could film the finished product, you can put it on a website. Those are my suggestions..

I messed that up. . .trying to quote @kristenthegreat but I took too long to edit. She brings some great advice, here is somewhat of a checklist to help you execute what she suggests:

- Develop your image. This should take some thought. What will set you apart from other choregraphers? Is it extra personal service, your unique experience, special dance skills, etc?
- Come up with a good name. This should take thought as well since it will be what people remember your business as
- Put some beginning effort into your adminstration. What will your advertisement flyers, emails, website, etc look like? How will your contracts, choreogrphy requests, 8-count sheets, etc look? Hopefully this will all match and add to the professionalism of your name and image
- BE PROFESSIONAL in everything you do. If you are even the slightlest bit shady in any dealing it will spread quickly. Be honest, on time, and correct with service and payments. Honor any commitments you make and communicate any changes to them. It is ok to diagree with customers, but not ok to treat them poorly.

Don't be afraid to change anything you start to make it better. Being professional and well organized will automatically set you apart from many in this sport and then you will be able to succeeeed based on your drive and skill.

Good Luck

Also be fair in the prices, give yourself credit and value. Also coming from personal experience, it may take a few years a few teams (trial and errors to see what works and what doesnt) to build a solid foundation, but always remember to think outside of the box, use inspiration, and DO NOT COPY other material.

HONESTLY, it may be hard but DONT give different teams the same or even SIMILAR material... someone WILL notice.. and someone WILL call you out and its downhill from there

Latest posts

Back