High School State Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 4, 2012
Does your team compete at Regionals and State? Or just State? Does your state have weird rules? (Missouri does haha) Just a place to talk about it.

I cheer for Ozark and are Regionals is in late July with State in November. I know Illinois has them in the beginning of the year? Which I thought was werid. :)

Our Regionals are two weeks or one week before State. The top 3 in each division move on to compete at State for day 1. Then the top 10 I think make it to day two. I wish GHSA let us compete at UCA nationals but unfortunately, we cant

In Wisconsin, regionals are the week after UCA nationals & state is the week after. The judging is WACPC (Wisconsin Association of Cheer & Pom Coaches) Style. And the divisions are different. Small is 0-11, medium is 12-19 and large is 20-36. They judge you more on cleanliness, less on difficulty. That being said, yes a team with solid extensions could beat a team with libs that are solid, but maybe a bit shakey. For state they take the top three teams in each division from each of the regionals (southern & northern). If there are only two teams in your division at your regional then lucky you! You both get to go! This past year my team competed small varsity at all events, and they all scored the UCA way and we placed really good, but at regionals we had to compete as medium. We had 14 girls on our team because we put in our 2 alternates(BAD CHOICE, IMO) because we could do so and stay in same division. Personally, I think that was a horrible idea. Should have kicked one off for the competition so we could have competed small. We got 4th :( After looking at the scores from every other division we would have placed top 3 in every other division except D1 medium...and if we could have competed D1 Small we would have won...smh.

Sorry for my rant, still bitter about regionals. It was NOT a good way to end my high school cheerleading career. Hope that could teach you a little about how WI runs state.

I coach in Illinois....we usually have our regional the last weekend of January and state is the following weekend...that is pretty much the end of our season, not the beginning.

There are 5 different regionals across the state with roughly 20-25 teams in each division. The top 5 teams in every division, at every regional, move on to state.

Also, we complete in divisions based on school size, not squad size! This past year, I had a team of 8 girls, but we had to compete medium because our school falls in the medium bracket!(every other team we competed against was between 16-20 girls) Luckily for us, we had a difficult, packed routine and made it to state!

In Georgia, the top 4 four in each region advance to state. Region winners automatically advance to state FINALS. The remaining 3 go to state sectionals to fight for the top 8 spots to advance to finals. There are 8 regions in Georgia. So all together in each division for state finals would be a total of 16 schools for finals.

Our Regionals are two weeks or one week before State. The top 3 in each division move on to compete at State for day 1. Then the top 10 I think make it to day two. I wish GHSA let us compete at UCA nationals but unfortunately, we cant

When they made cheerleading a sport in Georgia, it took away that opportunity. I am coaching in Arizona. But I grew up and cheered in Georgia.

Our state comp... Not badly run, just too many cooks in the kitchen.

We have over 15 divisions. Cheer isn't that big in MN, so as a result, teams sometimes are the only ones in their divisions. There also isn't any qualifyer for State. Anyone gets to go. I think it'd be more fun if you had to work to get to state, and we had less divisions. People complain until they get their own division, thats our issue.

In Maine we compete at regionals, then the top six of each of the two regions for a total of 12 compete at States (two weeks later), then the top 3 in the state move onto New Englands (one month later). There are 4 divisions, Class A-D, based on the school's size. No one from around here ever goes to compete at anything like UCA high school nationals and I think it might be because it is against the rules...

When they made cheerleading a sport in Georgia, it took away that opportunity. I am coaching in Arizona. But I grew up and cheered in Georgia.

I would like for other states to follow suit...then UCA Nationals could become the national competition or they could make a knew one. At least it would be more organized...

In Missouri the top teams can automatically go to state but I know teams can pay their way to state. Which I think it's unfair because state should be the best of the best. Basically no teams (that I know of) go to Nationals (some are trying but don't even compete at state sooo). I wish it was more popular here.

We do 2 or 3 comps. In our state, only our county considers cheer a sport, and follows the guidelines established for other sports in high school (which means they can't start practice till first day of August). All other counties consider it a club activity. We do a comp run by the State Cheerleaders Coaches Association, a comp for just the county, and another one run by the NCHSAA (which is teams from all over the state). Some High Schools do more comps, but we still to just 2-3.

Tennessee doesn't really have any state specific rules. You can compete whenever, wherever. Competition seasons typically run October-ish - February/March. Most teams do UCA or NCA, but quite a few just do allstar comps like Cheersport & Jamfest. You're not supposed to compete spring floor, but nothings enforced so a lot of teams do anyways. Our state (TSSAA) is usually the 2nd week in November and it's ran by UCA. There isn't any qualification to get there and a lot of teams don't actually do it. State is a qualifier for UCA nationals. Regionals are just brand ran and don't qualify you for anything other than that specific brands nationals. UCA Nationals and Cheersport Nationals are probably the two most popular competitions for teams in TN.

Back