College States

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
I notice that colleges in Kentucky (except for Louisville), Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Minnesota and Indiana tend to compete for UCA whereas colleges in Texas, Oklahoma (except for the Oklahoma Sooners), North Carolina and South Carolina tend to compete for NCA and colleges in California tend to compete for USA. Thoughts?

I notice that colleges in Kentucky (except for Louisville), Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Minnesota and Indiana tend to compete for UCA whereas colleges in Texas, Oklahoma (except for the Oklahoma Sooners), North Carolina and South Carolina tend to compete for NCA and colleges in California tend to compete for USA. Thoughts?

Speaking as someone who competed in college in California, and have competed at USA, a big factor for my program was money. There aren't too many financially-supported cheer teams in California and having to travel across the country is a huge expense. Unless your team has a serious chance of winning, or at least making top 5, college students usually don't have the dough to make the trip. I'm sure I would have loved the experience, but to shell out over $1000? No thank you.

As I've said in other posts, the USA collegiate championship (not nationals, mind you) is really just a way for west coast teams to compete without paying to go across the country. We know it's not super prestigious, but it is something to look forward to and is drive-able for many teams. Though it has really really shrunk over the past few years.

Something interesting to consider, many west coast teams do go to UCA summer camp in Santa Barbara or NCA summer camp in Las Vegas, so there's definite interest.

Also, a lot of California teams that do compete in Florida will also compete USA because it is driving distance and can also give alternates the chance to compete too (USA allows waaaay more athletes on the mat.) Also, it can be a trial run for NCA since it's just a few weeks before.

I could probably compile a list of CA teams that compete UCA/NCA and USA and I'm sure there would be a lot of overlap. But I'm on my phone and that's too much work for a tiny screen.

Personally I think it stems from high school cheer styles in some states. In Minnesota there are only three all stars programs in the whole state so school cheer is the most popular option. Going alongside with that the scoresheet is UCA and all the teams who attend high school nationals from Minnesota go to UCA (only one goes to NCA as of last year) making them more familiar with the style. Kentucky high school cheer teams also compete mostly UCA/traditonal style. In Texas and North Carolina there are many all star programs resulting in more kids who fit with the NCA style.

I also want to add that in many states one of the big state schools (OSU, MU, CSU, etc) competes NCA while the other (OU, MSU, CU, etc) competes UCA. I don't know if it's a rule or if schools just do it to not go against one another.

We are from Texas and love everything about NCA! Just my opinion, but seems like a great fit.

Back