All-Star Stunting On Concrete During Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Kids saftey issues aside (and these are obviously the number 1 concern in this situation) but as a coach, for my own gyms sake, I would never ever stunt on concrete or outside of an area we're insured to stunt in. I'm sure I don't need to tell you all how quickly you would find a swarm of lawyers at your gym door if a child fell and broke something or worse. It would ruin the whole gyms reputation pr even put it out of business if the lawsuit was bad enough. Perhaps I'm a hypocrite, I've let girls stunt of grass when we've been desperate for somewhere to practice before a competition but was never comfortable about it.

I hear you! OP you might suggest to your gym/program that they consult with their attorneys about how well that "gym not liable for injuries" piece of paper they made you sign would hold up in case of an injury due to stunting on concrete... Just saying ;)

I didn't see this post before, but this! It's astonishing to me how much weight people think those waivers carry! A teammate was spotting my daughter on some tumbling once (because her coach was busy dancing in the parking lot). I put the brakes on that real quick, because he was not qualified at all and she landed on her head. When I mentioned it to the coach, she said "That's why you sign a waiver!" :confused: I didn't sign any waiver that covered a 14 year old spotting.

Any half a$$ed lawyer would eat up a waiver in 99.9% of serious injury cases in cheer gyms. I think most gyms think that waiver covers any and every thing that happens at cheerleading. Most attorneys and courts laugh at those waivers.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

1. I've let my child do a version of this when we were at Kentucky Elite way back in the day. It was on a tennis court and they ran full out over and over practicing for UCA.
2. That being said, seeing the video of it now terrifies me and reminds me that I'm not nearly as smart as I like to think.
3. It only takes a couple of stupid coaches for this entire sport to grind to a halt.

At worlds a couple years ago, we had an injury in warmup. Routine needed to be reworked. Varsity/USASF put the team outside, in the dark, on the grass to rework. Why does anyone think they'll care, even if it is one of their rules?

I am surprised the owners of the facility (Disney, Daytona Convention Center etc) do not have a policy in place for this when they set up contracts. I am equally surprised that parents don't realize they have rights and advocate for safe warm up and training areas.
I'm surprised too, I know they don't like you stunting/tumbling in the parks because I got yelled at for doing tucks in front of the castle.

Last edited:
I also don't agree with that I think it's crazy practising out there right before worlds. In 2011 I watched a girl get dropped head first in a kick double on the grass outside the milk house on that field out back. I will never forget the sickening noise of her head meeting the ground. She was extremely badly concussed. This girl had been a flyer her whole life and would have been doing kick doubles for years prior to this accident. Luckily she's come through ok but there it is in a nutshell it was LUCK she was ok and I don't think her safety should have been chanced in this way.

I am surprised the owners of the facility (Disney, Daytona Convention Center etc) do not have a policy in place for this when they set up contracts. I am equally surprised that parents don't realize they have rights and advocate for safe warm up and training areas.

This sport, yes sport, gets such a bad rap as it is pertaining to injuries (among other things) and how dangerous it is...why add to it? Ugh.

i dont agree with doing difficult allstar stunts on concrete for obvious reasons, but back in my day we used to tumble and stunt on basketball hardwood floors in HS (it sucked... fyi) i guess it depends on the difficulty of what they are doing.

Lessons learned are why the safety rules are now in place.

At worlds a couple years ago, we had an injury in warmup. Routine needed to be reworked. Varsity/USASF put the team outside, in the dark, on the grass to rework. Why does anyone think they'll care, even if it is one of their rules?

At the USA Collegiate Championships in Anaheim they had us warming up outside. Like the allotted 8 minutes you get on mats were outside at NIGHT. They only had a few spotlights (like the kind you see when there's road construction at night) that were nearly blinding when you looked straight at them but did not offer any help when stunting. They just silhouetted the flyer and made her impossible to see. When I saw it I immediately thought "we're supposed to warm up flipping baskets like this???" Plus it was freezing out! It was the most ridiculous and unsafe thing. Last year they had us warm up in a huge room inside with a million mats then it was a short walk to the performance arena. No idea why they didn't do that again or why they thought there beat option was to warm up outside in the dark and cold.
At least the next morning for finals we could see, but it was still cold.

Back