All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aussiekat

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 23, 2011
In light of recent events, should gyms and college programs start testing for illegal substances? And I'm not talking weed… more along the lines of party drugs and roids…

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I thought they already did.

"What, you don't even go here!"

Not that I know of? I know most colleges don't test at all. I don't know of any allstar programs that test. Does anyone test?

I thought they already did.

Not nearly as much as you would think. Cheerleaders (at least South Carolina) are subject to random drug testing just like any other athlete at the school. But usually they make it through their whole four years without being tested. MAYBE once. They receive a text the night before they are to report in at around 6am to give a sample.

I have many friends who cheered and admitted to never being called in. But they do reserve that option. The school is more concerned with testing the high profile sports.

There's no repercussions for steroids. We have no drug testing and no penalties. It's easier for the program to just turn the other cheek. Where's the incentive to be a clean program if no one else is - you're practically at a disadvantage if you do.

As for other substances - probably the same thing. Easier to ignore it if it's not causing any problems?

I would imagine though that the main issue in this is who foots the bill? A lot of colleges barely recognize that their cheer teams compete, and now we want them to shell out for drug testing too?

There's no repercussions for steroids. We have no drug testing and no penalties. It's easier for the program to just turn the other cheek. Where's the incentive to be a clean program if no one else is - you're practically at a disadvantage if you do.

As for other substances - probably the same thing. Easier to ignore it if it's not causing any problems?

I would imagine though that the main issue in this is who foots the bill? A lot of colleges barely recognize that their cheer teams compete, and now we want them to shell out for drug testing too?

So an interesting point is that ESPN has dropped all sports on their channel that do not test for PED. That is why you don't see worlds strongest man on the channel anymore. Which is also why you are seeing all this MLL and MLS! (yay soccer). I wonder why they allow college cheer to still be aired on ESPN if we don't follow those rules.

So an interesting point is that ESPN has dropped all sports on their channel that do not test for PED. That is why you don't see worlds strongest man on the channel anymore. Which is also why you are seeing all this MLL and MLS! (yay soccer). I wonder why they allow college cheer to still be aired on ESPN if we don't follow those rules.

Because cheer on ESPN is nothing more than a paid advertisement.

Drug testing does not stop people from using drugs. Even the military has problems with drugs.

Some of us have been saying for years that it will take something bad happening before anyone realizes that this is actually a problem in cheer. (see: countless threads about partying at worlds). I wonder if this is bad enough? I doubt it, since it happened to someone who was not at a cheer event and was technically an adult.

It's sad, but nothing will change.

Because cheer on ESPN is nothing more than a paid advertisement.

True, and perhaps because it isn't well know we have no testing it is allowed? Anyone have an ESPN email? I'd love to ask.

Don't the Xgames still air on ESPN? They do not test either.

Don't the Xgames still air on ESPN? They do not test either.

That I don't know. This was new to me because a friends fiance is a strongman competitor (not at that high of level, more regional) so he was quite up to date on why he no longer can see it on ESPN. Maybe it is just for PEDs? I would see the X games having more issues with recreational drugs over PEDs.

That I don't know. This was new to me because a friends fiance is a strongman competitor (not at that high of level, more regional) so he was quite up to date on why he no longer can see it on ESPN. Maybe it is just for PEDs? I would see the X games having more issues with recreational drugs over PEDs.
Just what are you implying about those x-games athletes? ;)

Yes yes yes and yes. Drug test everyone.

My high school did drug testing if you were going to play sports. You signed a contract that if you were caught with drugs or alcohol, you were removed from the team for a set amount of time.

If you want to be an athlete or a representative of a school or organization, you should act accordingly.

Back