All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That would be devastating for the program i guess
right now i think people should be given time to grief though, no matter what happened it is horrible :(

The most surprising thing I learned last year as an intern at the Cleveland Clinic is how big of a problem drugs, especially heroin, are becoming in young adults. The cases they've seen and heard about nationally aren't kids from the projects, but middle class kids whom you'd never suspect. The particular case I worked on was just that. Good parents, good home.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

The most surprising thing I learned last year as an intern at the Cleveland Clinic is how big of a problem drugs, especially heroin, are becoming in young adults. The cases they've seen and heard about nationally aren't kids from the projects, but middle class kids whom you'd never suspect. The particular case I worked on was just that. Good parents, good home.

So true. It has become huge in the area I went to middle school/high school in. Too many people I know/knew are or have at some point been addicted to it. It's unfortunately cheap and easily attainable. It's so painful to see. Like you said - good people from a good families.

As a daughter of a former narcotics detective,

I just don't believe that someone who is a healthy high preforming athlete could be into illicit drugs to the point of overdose.

I don't know how to make these 2 things go together. How do you have a parent that does this for a living, yet not believe that an athlete could be into drugs? Not knocking you, I'm just surprised. Athletics and drugs attract the same people quite frequently. It's the same personality type.

Sports and drugs are a very common combination, sadly. I think most people would be surprised (although I'm not sure why) to know how many very high level athletes are heavily into drugs.

Disclaimer: I'm not speaking on this girl or this case, as I know nothing about either, really.

It's sad that it's the first thing I thought. It just seems like every actor (health ledger, the guy from hunger games etc) that you hear has been "found dead" in a house or hotel or what have you ends up coming back to that.

His name is Phillip Seymour Hoffman (don't worry I forget his name all the time too).

Off topic a little: one of my friends is studying to be a social worker and last semester one of her classes required her to go to at least 2 addiction meetings to observe. She asked me to accompany her to the local NA meeting one night because she was scared to go alone. The meeting was really eye opening and interesting and I learned a lot. But the people there started talking about how prescription drugs are tricky for recovering addicts, even after years and years of being sober, and when they get hurt and go to the doctors they need to be extremely careful of what's prescribed because they can easily fall off the wagon from it. During the discussion it was mentioned how just a couple months before we were there, Hoffman attended the NA meeting we were at and was completely sober, he sat in the same room as us and they said that he was like 20+ years sober. A couple weeks after he attended the meeting, he got hurt on set and the doctor gave him prescription drugs for his pain which caused him to go back to drugs and overdose. It was so heartbreaking to hear that and really eerie thinking how a famous actor who had passed from an OD was sitting in the same room as us a couple weeks before completely clean and sober.

I don't know how to make these 2 things go together. How do you have a parent that does this for a living, yet not believe that an athlete could be into drugs? Not knocking you, I'm just surprised. Athletics and drugs attract the same people quite frequently. It's the same personality type.

Sports and drugs are a very common combination, sadly. I think most people would be surprised (although I'm not sure why) to know how many very high level athletes are heavily into drugs.

Disclaimer: I'm not speaking on this girl or this case, as I know nothing about either, really.

Oh no, I know a lot of kids in sports that are into drugs. That was totally not what I was saying. But I know a lot that don't do it because it's sports season, or don't do certain drugs because of how detrimental they can be. I meant that I would be surprised that this athlete was during some hardcore drug and overdosed. I'm going to UMD so I know all about Len Bias horror stories.

Yes. My mom takes care of many young people who have wrecked their bodies with drugs. She works on a cardiac unit, so usually once she gets them they have done irreparable damage to their heart. Most recently, a former friend of mine (through cheer) ended up on her unit for this very reason.

In a town not far from me there has been this huge investigation into heroin because there have been a crazy amount of students who have OD'd from the drug in the past 2 years. This is upper-middle class suburb. My dad has told me the cases of heroin, and other hardcore drugs are always where the people with money are because they can afford it. My HS on the 'poor side' of town has had less issues with drugs than the school on the 'rich' side.

Yall would be surprised (you really shouldn't tho) at how hard a lot of higher level all star kids party. Like @Just-a-Mom said, they both attract the same personality types. I know of a lot of programs who have athletes putting stuff up their nose at comps.

Sadly, some Fierceboarders have witnessed it and wouldn't be surprised at all.

See also: High school cheer kids doing drugs and/or drinking at or prior to games. Or after. And sneaking it into summer camp dorms.

Sadly, some Fierceboarders have witnessed it and wouldn't be surprised at all.

See also: High school cheer kids doing drugs and/or drinking at or prior to games. Or after. And sneaking it into summer camp dorms.

I know of a HS team that has been intoxicated at games.....And I have teamates who've cheered at games on drugs...

I'm out of HS so I will spill the tea without an issue/

It's sad that it's the first thing I thought. It just seems like every actor (health ledger, the guy from hunger games etc) that you hear has been "found dead" in a house or hotel or what have you ends up coming back to that.

Kids had a babysitter from the neighborhood they liked when they were smaller. About two years ago she was "found dead" in a house across town a few weeks before graduation....drugs and copious amounts of alcohol in her system. Partied that night and passed out and her friends basically just left her...probably because they were high too.

Sad.
Philip Seymour Hoffman. My heart broke- such a wonderful man in the grips of a terrible addiction (heroin). Heroin was HUGE in the 90s, although I know drugs go in and out of 'style', I can't believe that's the one that's coming back.

I had seen on facebook that the athlete died, but I hadn't seen an update that mentioned it was a suspected overdose. Such a shame.

In a town not far from me there has been this huge investigation into heroin because there have been a crazy amount of students who have OD'd from the drug in the past 2 years. This is upper-middle class suburb. My dad has told me the cases of heroin, and other hardcore drugs are always where the people with money are because they can afford it. My HS on the 'poor side' of town has had less issues with drugs than the school on the 'rich' side.
That's simple economics. Supply and demand. You see it in schools all the time (little microcosms of society that they are). Lower income kids are doing weed if they're doing anything, mostly because it's cheap. Most of the lower income dealers don't partake of their own product (or any product, they're some of the cleanest kids out there in terms of drug use) but it's the affluent schools that have a considerably larger issue with pills, heroin, etc because that stuff is higher priced. The kids who can afford it are the ones buying it.

Back