All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would love it if drug testing was started!

A lot of painkillers will already result in a positive test, which would mean that a lot of those "heroes" that compete, even though they are clearly hurt, will finally not be able to do so anymore. And when I see the muscle gain some cheerleaders have over a short amount of time... let's just say I'll side-eye them forever.

Sadly enough I don't think that drug-testing will start until a cheerleader basically dies on the competition mat at a huge competition. Unfortunately it's all about the money...

I don't know what I missed, but anyway.

Should we drug test? Absolutely. Will we? Probably not. There's no incentive to do so. It will, unfortunately, take someone getting very sick or dying during a competition before anyone does anything. We don't like to do 'uncomfortable' things until our hands are tied..

Should we drug test? Absolutely. Will we? Probably not. There's no incentive to do so. It will, unfortunately, take someone getting very sick or dying during a competition before anyone does anything. We don't like to do 'uncomfortable' things until our hands are tied..

recent Louisville/GT cheerleader death is a suspected overdose

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm assuming the post was in reference to this:
Louisville cheerleader death being investigated as overdose

It's national news now, so hopefully there's not an issue with posting it.

recent Louisville/GT cheerleader death is a suspected overdose

Suspected overdose but no mention of what they think the overdose could have been. If alcohol then it may be more of an education matter.

"What, you don't even go here!"

Suspected overdose but no mention of what they think the overdose could have been. If alcohol then it may be more of an education matter.

I've never seen the word overdose used when discussing alcohol, and I've seen A LOT of drug/alcohol related deaths, though you could be right.

Our school system does monthly random tests for athletes. Legal as a "search" because sports are a voluntary, not compulsory, activity. So when you agree to play you also agree to be randomly tested during your season (maybe, if you're name is drawn). But if you come back positive there's not much in terms of repercussions. They have to do mandatory drug counseling and sit out until it's done. No disciplinary consequences are permitted and only the AD and the Principal are informed of the result. The coach isn't allowed to know....although it's not hard to figure out when the AD and Principal says you have to bench a kid for the next two weeks.

I've never seen the word overdose used when discussing alcohol, and I've seen A LOT of drug/alcohol related deaths, though you could be right.

It's sad that it's the first thing I thought. It just seems like every actor (health ledger, the guy from hunger games etc) that you hear has been "found dead" in a house or hotel or what have you ends up coming back to that.

Kids had a babysitter from the neighborhood they liked when they were smaller. About two years ago she was "found dead" in a house across town a few weeks before graduation....drugs and copious amounts of alcohol in her system. Partied that night and passed out and her friends basically just left her...probably because they were high too.

Sad.

We were subject to random drug testing in college, but it never happened to anyone in the program to my knowledge.

It's sad that it's the first thing I thought. It just seems like every actor (health ledger, the guy from hunger games etc) that you hear has been "found dead" in a house or hotel or what have you ends up coming back to that.

Kids had a babysitter from the neighborhood they liked when they were smaller. About two years ago she was "found dead" in a house across town a few weeks before graduation....drugs and copious amounts of alcohol in her system. Partied that night and passed out and her friends basically just left her...probably because they were high too.

Sad.

One of the saddest parts of working in a HS setting is having to help kids process/grieve a death of any kind, but it's heart-wrenching when it's one of the above situations. Ex: A very popular junior passed away in a similar manner a few years back (prescription drugs.)

It's not my place to share the details (especially if what I was told on Monday when I found out is incorrect), but it was not alcohol.

As a daughter of a former narcotics detective, I've learned that there are so many drugs that can be fatal or effect you wayyy down the line. Something you did months ago can come out of nowhere and take you out. I just don't believe that someone who is a healthy high preforming athlete could be into illicit drugs to the point of overdose. I hope and pray it was accidental or something because that it so devastating.

Back