All-Star Summer / Early Fall Attendance Policies

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheerinatorXdad

Cheer Parent
Mar 10, 2012
I wanted to hear from the rest of the allstar cheer world about how your gym approaches summer attendance.
We have a mandatory attendance policy that will kick-in right after Labor day, but before then we really don't have one.
So far, this season has been absolutely maddening about getting all of our team there together. We haven't had everyone there since the first practice. Its driving me crazy as a parent. I'm committing some serious cash, and time, for a team that's supposed to focus on being competitive and some team members are coming at their own leisure.Sorry...had to vent some.

You have to fill out a vacation slip a week in advance. Our gym is not afraid to remove someone from a team for their lack of commitment. They do want you to spend family time together in the summer and understand visitation, but they want everyone to attend. At old gym we'd have some skip whenever and however and still end up front and center. This strictly enforced attendance policy makes for happy teammates and their parents because all are equally committed.

You can only miss in June. After that unless an immediate family member passed you cannot miss. If your sick you still must come. If you miss twice on your second absence you will be removed from the team.

I will say she has been strict about it in years passed but you may have been able to get away with more, as of this season I wouldn't dare to miss...

Our gym has a very lax summer attendance policy. It's frustrating when your cp cannot stunt because the flyer or other bases are missing. For the kids that did attend consistently and took advantage of all the tumbling classes and conditioning/flexibility classes, though, there has been great opportunity for gaining new skills and perfecting older ones, and hopefully this will be taken into account as the choreography is completed.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

At my old gym they were pretty strict about attendance even in the summer. We weren't allowed to miss stunt camps/choreo. When i came to Rays i thought they would be strict but they weren't at all! Maybe because its Atlanta and the kids are involved in A LOT. I even filled in for someone because they were on vacation during choreography. A lot of kids actually went to camps for 2 weeks+. But they expected you to stay in shape and be able to keep up and learn everything when you got back.

Starting in August if you were going to miss you had to send a fill in (and it had to be someone with the skills) in your spot. They just sent an information blast yesterday from my daughters gym reminding everyone of the policy, the procedure for who to notify and time frames etc. they take attendance at every class, practice etc and in certain cases teams are over rostered. If you're missing with any regularity you won't be on the team much longer (or you'll end up an alternate). From the tone of the info blast (text, email and social media) they're clearly getting frustrated with lacking attendance as well. My daughters teams have had probably 90% there all summer but the 10% out randomly rotates every practice. I feel your frustration, its annoying to be in a different mindset than your teammates. That's was really bad at our old gym but its much improved (not perfect but improved) at the new one.

I have a totally different perspective regarding summer practices. Our gym's practice policy is optional with the exception of choreography. And I am grateful for that. Summer is the only time that my CPs can go to volleyball camp, orchestra camp, church camp, vacation, etc. I think having the summer practices as optional prevents burnout in a sport that is very intense and competitive. The second week of school is when mandatory practices start and the only excused absences are contagious illness or a school cheer function.

This drives me crazy every year!!!! summer attendance is poor. I used to not plan anything during practice days but now I feel if no one else cares then I can take a few days off to do something fun! I wish we had a more strict policy. This week is mandatory choreography and then you cannot miss a practice except for a death, or a religious or school event. Go ahead and vent..............I do.

We are a rec program but once we start in August you can miss 3 practices. Once school starts you can only miss for a family funeral or mandatory school function. If you are sick/injured come watch.

Come to the UK, my team had tryouts in July and proper practises don't start until September and it's the same for most teams over here!
Have family in Norway and based on what they say you have to love summer holiday there. Have been trying for a couple of years to have me send CP over for a long vacation to see how summer really should be.

Our previous gym and our current gym both had a pretty relaxed summer attendance policy - you just need to complete an absence request so they could keep track of who was there and who wasn't and then structure the practices around the available athletes. Not only is CP's team at the new gym over rostered but it isn't unusual for the coaches to step in and help out in the stunt groups so our summer practices have been really productive which was definitely NOT the case at our old gym.

I have a totally different perspective regarding summer practices. Our gym's practice policy is optional with the exception of choreography. And I am grateful for that. Summer is the only time that my CPs can go to volleyball camp, orchestra camp, church camp, vacation, etc. I think having the summer practices as optional prevents burnout in a sport that is very intense and competitive. The second week of school is when mandatory practices start and the only excused absences are contagious illness or a school cheer function.
Fully agree with you on the summer being the time to reconnect with life outside cheer. It is though the best time to work on skills that you might not have time to work on once the comp season gets into full swing.

My sister's gym made everyone report their vacations at the beginning of the summer. Each cheerleader got 2 weeks worth (and 2 practices in a week) for whatever reason they wanted. Past that it was unexcused unless it was an emergency.

Back