Music Swear Words In Team's Music

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 23, 2010
I always stumble across songs and I think, oh wow, this would be really good in a mix. But then I hear a swear word and I'm like, ohhh nevermind. I've never really seen or read or heard anything about this, but do most people think it's completely inappropriate to have bad words in cheer music, for example in like, a more hip-hop-y dance song? One of my coaches and I were talking about this and he said that years ago before cheer music wasn't as "fancy" bad words weren't edited out and he heard them all the time at competitions. I don't think I'd really mind if I heard a swear word in a team's mix.

well I'm pretty sure competition holders want to keep it family friendly. I've heard cuss words in remixes,yes and one routine that had one was a youth team. Then I'm pretty sure Georgia had one one year ("it's just another georgia party (h) yeah")??

well I'm pretty sure competition holders want to keep it family friendly. I've heard cuss words in remixes,yes and one routine that had one was a youth team. Then I'm pretty sure Georgia had one one year ("it's just another georgia party (h) yeah")??
yeah i agree

Yeah, I don't mind like 'he**' or 'da**' but when it gets to hard swearing like rap music, definitely not. Like just cover it up or something, turn 'sh**' into a shhhh.

I also don't mind like the 'just off' swearing, such as CALIFRIKINGFORNIA.

when i was on youth, our remixes said something about "______ are here" my sister and i agreed on it said "b****es are here"

I always thought there was some sort of deduction for having swear words in music but maybe not. If there isn't there should be because there are little kids at some of these events and it's not that hard to cover it up with sound effects.

This drives me crazy, even in senior routine music. Just because there are 18 year olds on a team doesnt make it ok for the 13 year old flyers on the team or 7 year old minis cheering for you to listen to the same thing. Please cover it up with a sound effect or don't use the song! Even worse is when event producers play unedited music between team preformances...

This drives me crazy, even in senior routine music. Just because there are 18 year olds on a team doesnt make it ok for the 13 year old flyers on the team or 7 year old minis cheering for you to listen to the same thing. Please cover it up with a sound effect or don't use the song! Even worse is when event producers play unedited music between team preformances...
omg that happened.. they had a playlist and the djs son added gonorrhea by lil wayne on it it was tragic

i just dont like swear words in teams music. i think it makes them look unclassy and it makes the gym seem not family oriented. personal opinion :)

at a competition we went to in myrtle beach the judges took off points for our youth having the song milkshake by kelis in their dance. the damn right part of the song was taken out but the judges said they could still knew what goes there in that spot. i feel like since you couldnt hear the word then there shouldnt have been a deduction

at a competition we went to in myrtle beach the judges took off points for our youth having the song milkshake by kelis in their dance. the damn right part of the song was taken out but the judges said they could still knew what goes there in that spot. i feel like since you couldnt hear the word then there shouldnt have been a deduction
Yahh, they shouldn't have taken off points if it was taken out. That's just stupid

Well, the rest of that song is pretty inappropriate for a youth team anyway. So I do understand that. Ususally judges will write in "would like to see more age appropriate dance moves" or "a more age appropriate song would work better for your team"

Some event producers have a policy to give a deduction for using an inappropriate song even if the version used is clean or edited.

Back