Teaching Fulls/doubles With Minimal Equipment

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 31, 2010
Looking for some new drills for teaching Fulls and Doubles. We have minimal equipment in the gym; basically our spring floor, a handful of panel mats, a few wedges and an 8" mat.

Would love to hear your drills. Thanks!

My goodness where to start....

First of all your better off with less and it makes the switch from that evil tumble track to floor much easier...

I'd personally start by throwing whipped layout from a height to the 8 inch mat, landing in belly, than one their comfortable, waiting till they spot the mat than try and compete a half, so that when they land, you can still see some twisting momentum.

Than I'd start on floor, throwing layouts on to the 8 inch mat, and once they land, immediately jump half turn, soon they will start pulling before the landing

That's a start anyway

Down the wedge: layout to stomach, stay tight and do a half to back on the rebound. Then work layout to stomach, rebound full to stomach. Half to back, rebound half to stomach. Half to back, rebound half to knees. Then Half to standing, jump half. Then full.

Then work it on the crash.

Down the wedge: layout to stomach, stay tight and do a half to back on the rebound. Then work layout to stomach, rebound full to stomach. Half to back, rebound half to stomach. Half to back, rebound half to knees. Then Half to standing, jump half. Then full.

Then work it on the crash.

I may be reading this wrong, but are you having them do a standing layout on a wedge and landing on their stomach on the floor, 8 inch or the wedge and rebounding from their stomach and do twist?

I may be reading this wrong, but are you having them do a standing layout on a wedge and landing on their stomach on the floor, 8 inch or the wedge and rebounding from their stomach and do twist?

No, you start at the top of the wedge and land on your stomach on the wedge (flip it over, the bottom is softer than the top). You also start and land on the 8in crash mat. You could also fold up some panels and stack them so they're level with the top of the crash or the wedge....then you start standing on that (it's firmer, so you get more of a set). It's how my gymnastics coach (an Olympian) taught fulls, and I competed up to level 10. Everyone in our gym learned them this way and we had text book fulls. (and our coaches' backs were happy)

No, you start at the top of the wedge and land on your stomach on the wedge (flip it over, the bottom is softer than the top). You also start and land on the 8in crash mat. You could also fold up some panels and stack them so they're level with the top of the crash or the wedge....then you start standing on that (it's firmer, so you get more of a set). It's how my gymnastics coach (an Olympian) taught fulls, and I competed up to level 10. Everyone in our gym learned them this way and we had text book fulls. (and our coaches' backs were happy)

I learned the same way in concept(I think) on a trampoline with a throw mat, I would just think that those mats would be kind of a hard landing and not give you much of a bounce for the half turns

I learned the same way in concept(I think) on a trampoline with a throw mat, I would just think that those mats would be kind of a hard landing and not give you much of a bounce for the half turns

Same concept as on a tramp with a throw....just makes you stay tighter so it doesn't hurt and set harder and spin faster so you get around! (we need an evil grin smilie)

Same concept as on a tramp with a throw....just makes you stay tighter so it doesn't hurt and set harder and spin faster so you get around! (we need an evil grin smilie)

Is this a station they do on their own or do you have to spot them through it?

Is this a station they do on their own or do you have to spot them through it?

Station on their own. Obviously you'll have to walk them through it the first time. Our coach used drills and progressions for most skills, we were rarely spotted.

I think a wiki with videos of drills and stations for skills would be cool. kingston
But of course it would need to be user supported

It already exists!

Cheeropedia

People just need to add videos :)

ETA - I can't figure out how to edit/add to Cheeropedia. Am I just a dumbo or is editing disabled?

It already exists!

Cheeropedia

People just need to add videos :)

ETA - I can't figure out how to edit/add to Cheeropedia. Am I just a dumbo or is editing disabled?
That is more of a this is what the skill is and the technique to do it.

I was thinking more of a here are videos of 10 different drills that can help with a tuck

That is more of a this is what the skill is and the technique to do it.

I was thinking more of a here are videos of 10 different drills that can help with a tuck

I think that the Cheeropedia could be whatever we wanted to make it, including drills :)

I would LOVE a video of this!!!

Back