All-Star Team Mom/dad

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One year our old gym did a discount and basically changed the name to "team manager" it made it very tricky for those parents to REALLY express their true opinions at times when issues did arise because if they did the gym could say hey you are now "working" for us and you need to be a team player. It made it hard for those parents especially when BIG ISSUES came up. I applaud how each of them handled them but man it really did make things hard.

While I hate goody bags (and I make that pretty clear but in a nicer way since opting out is not really allowed at the same time I also do appreciate the time and effort some moms take). I have had some really good team moms that aside from the goody bags have done a great job (those moms who have it all under control and don't need or want help - I find out their favorite drink and bring it for them). I have also had other teams where it seriously took a village and we all stepped in moms calling the missing mom or mom y did so and so's hair and makeup another mom would make sure no kids wandered off to go see friend x on so and so.

Last year we gave $40 each for the CPs on the team. They received three gifts from two very crafty moms, one who makes items for our gym's pro shop occasionally, so they were decent gifts. The gifts were the holiday gift because our gym has a mandatory gathering each year, a gift before Dallas and one before Summit. Honestly I don't remember holiday gift. (ETA: Just remembered, custom pillowcase) But before Dallas nice pink Cowboy hats that had a cheer bow on it and team name, gym name. Summit each kid got a beach towel with their name embroidered on it, team custom Mouse ears with gym and team name on it and those pin hole custom sunglasses.

We were at a gym that did goody bags with snacks for two years. I saw plenty of kids throw it away. CP is not interested in a granola bar and the stuff in that bag, she wants Dippin Dots. I might get her to drink the Gatorade, but I have been happiest with the set amount and the few quality gifts.

This isn't a cheer story but I'm curious as to whether a cheer team parent has ever done anything like this:

So, I'm close with one of my cousins to the point that her kid is actually my god-daughter. Like two seasons ago, I attended a Rec/Youth Football Cheer meeting with her daughter because she was working a twelve hour shift at the hospital and couldn't get off in time. She knows that I know about cheer and that I'd get all the details/paperwork and pass it on.

Anyhow, I'm at this meeting (which is sort of an orientation/meet-the-directors type deal) and it's a joint meeting that covers both cheer AND football. The football director is giving an overview of the football program. He starts talking about team parents and how it works. Then he says something like "Just know that if you're selected to be a team parent, that your job is to support the team. Let the kids play and the coaches coach. It's not your job to call extra practices or anything like that. That's actually against league rules and could cause us to have to forfeit games."

I was really surprised by that comment. I turned to the guy I was sitting by and was like "Wow is it really THAT serious?" The guy told me that it ACTUALLY HAPPENED the year before! The team dad for one of the older teams of like, 5th graders was actually organizing extra practices outside of the official ones and telling parents they were mandatory like he was a coach! Crazy.

Last edited:
This isn't a cheer story but I'm curious as to whether a cheer team parent has ever done anything like this:

So, I'm close with one of my cousins to the point that her kid is actually my god-daughter. Like two seasons ago, I attended a Rec/Youth Football Cheer meeting with her daughter because she was working a twelve hour shift at the hospital and couldn't get off in time. She knows that I know about cheer and that I'd get all the details/paperwork and pass it on.

Anyhow, I'm at this meeting (which is sort of an orientation/meet-the-directors type deal) and it's a joint meeting that covers both cheer AND football. The football director is giving an overview of the football program. He starts talking about team parents and how it works. Then he says something like "Just know that if you're selected to be a team parent, that your job is to support the team. Let the kids play and the coaches coach. It's not your job to call extra practices or anything like that. That's actually against league rules and could cause us to have to forfeit games."

I was really surprised by that comment. I turned to the guy I was sitting by and was like "Wow is it really THAT serious?" The guy told me that it ACTUALLY HAPPENED the year before! The team dad for one of the older teams of like, 5th graders was actually organizing extra practices outside of the official ones and telling parents they were mandatory like he was a coach! Crazy.

CP was on a TINY---yes, you read that right, TINY team that had had this happen.

Cliffnote version, they practices on the weekends which worked for gym and parents schedule. Well, if we had a comp that meant about a week went by without a practice, no practices were done right before competition either. For the last competition, the the team mom and her cohort decided to get the kids together that Friday night to practice. She had a large basement and I figured it would be like a fun thing for the kids while the parents added stars to their shorts for comp; something that needed to be done anyway and cohort had the vinyl machine. However, what I figured it would be was play some music, let the kids play, eat pizza, and let them practice if they actually wanted to. No big deal. Team Mom and cohort then decided to hire one of the coaches and charge all of the parents after the fact. To this day, I guarantee you they think that practice/session is the reason our kids did so well that particular competition.

And in case I wasn't clear, we're talking about 5 years olds.

CP was on a TINY---yes, you read that right, TINY team that had had this happen.

Cliffnote version, they practices on the weekends which worked for gym and parents schedule. Well, if we had a comp that meant about a week went by without a practice, no practices were done right before competition either. For the last competition, the the team mom and her cohort decided to get the kids together that Friday night to practice. She had a large basement and I figured it would be like a fun thing for the kids while the parents added stars to their shorts for comp; something that needed to be done anyway and cohort had the vinyl machine. However, what I figured it would be was play some music, let the kids play, eat pizza, and let them practice if they actually wanted to. No big deal. Team Mom and cohort then decided to hire one of the coaches and charge all of the parents after the fact. To this day, I guarantee you they think that practice/session is the reason our kids did so well that particular competition.

And the coaches were ok with them doing that!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@SL&AM was this a plan practice ahead of time or one that spontaneously happened? I've had experienced with very young children, if they see each other, may associate each other with cheer and start working on stunts, spontaneously and then sometimes a *coach may jump in to keep the children from hurting themselves... Something like this, I would not call an illegal practice...jmo

And the coaches were ok with them doing that!?

I don't think a choice was really given. It was a very complicated coaching situation; I know the main coach had no idea about it and at that point, was not talking to any of the parents so whether she cared or not; no clue.

@SL&AM was this a plan practice ahead of time or one that spontaneously happened? I've had experienced with very young children, if they see each other, may associate each other with cheer and start working on stunts, spontaneously and then sometimes a *coach may jump in to keep the children from hurting themselves... Something like this, I would not call an illegal practice...jmo

It was planned ahead, the coach came to a house on a non-practice night, and was paid like she had given an hour private.

What was originally pitched to me and my BFF, who were basically the anti-team mom/cohort, was a get together, pizza night, throw music on for the kids, and do their shorts and play with hair. Our hair style changed for that comp too. It was supposed to be more social than practice; it turned into the exact opposite once everyone agreed to come and most of us walked in on it.

I don't think a choice was really given. It was a very complicated coaching situation; I know the main coach had no idea about it and at that point, was not talking to any of the parents so whether she cared or not; no clue.

It was planned ahead, the coach came to a house on a non-practice night, and was paid like she had given an hour private.

What was originally pitched to me and my BFF, who were basically the anti-team mom/cohort, was a get together, pizza night, throw music on for the kids, and do their shorts and play with hair. Our hair style changed for that comp too. It was supposed to be more social than practice; it turned into the exact opposite once everyone agreed to come and most of us walked in on it.

Wow. I would be very annoyed by that situation and would be quite upset if the gym let that mom be a team mom again after an incident like that - a parent hosting a team practice in their basement and charging the other parents for a private lesson? Without telling anyone a head of time? That to me is someone who is out of control.

Wow. I would be very annoyed by that situation and would be quite upset if the gym let that mom be a team mom again after an incident like that - a parent hosting a team practice in their basement and charging the other parents for a private lesson? Without telling anyone a head of time? That to me is someone who is out of control.

I swear to you, if I wrote a book about that season from start to finish you would have a 'how not to act as a cheer mom' guide from like youngest to oldest. It was insanity; cohort's kid quit the sport the next year, team mom went to a 'bigger better gym' or so she thought, and we moved. I swear I can smell crazy cheer mom blood the second they come into a room now and I run as far and as fast as I can! CP's new gym is right next to a Target with a Starbucks; non-cp and I have become quite the fans!

I totally believe that. Parents will do some crazy poo

**Lets be clear, it was the food talk that locked the thread. Food=bad, Puppies = good**

Our team moms help us out so much! Last year the daughter of the team mom for my team quit, so someone else stepped up and we all love her. We never give money for gifts. We also don't do "goody bags", we occasionally get gifts with our team name such as dog tags, sunglasses, door hangers etc. Whenever we do team bonding it's usually optional and you pay for yourself if you're going somewhere.

Crazy!

:jawdrop:

Nuts. And the coach who agreed to show up should be ashamed of herself.

Our team moms help us out so much! Last year the daughter of the team mom for my team quit, so someone else stepped up and we all love her. We never give money for gifts. We also don't do "goody bags", we occasionally get gifts with our team name such as dog tags, sunglasses, door hangers etc. Whenever we do team bonding it's usually optional and you pay for yourself if you're going somewhere.
And she loves you guys so much too. You really all hold such a special place for her....

Back