All-Star Team Mom/dad

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SL&AM

Cheer Parent
May 13, 2014
Does your gym have a Team Mom/Dad assigned to each team?

If they do, what type of role does that person function as? What do they do specifically for the team?

Thank you ahead of time for answering.

We don't but each team seems to have an "unofficial team parent" that takes on the role of making sure everyone is informed. They typically answer questions other parents may have as they become the "go to parent", plan/organize team bonding events, and organize treat bags for the teams.

I wish we had official team parents but I'm glad we have some parents that volunteer to help the other parents out so the year runs smoothly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do and they email any info pertaining to fundraising, meet times for comps and any Extra important stuff.

Ours is in charge of goody bags (I hate goody bags). They schedule social events for team bonding, They also make sure team is all together ahead of coach meeting time.

Our team parents are responsible for organizing team bonding or other fun events, if they choose. Often, they will put together goody bags, etc - most teams have a few parents who are very helpful with contributing resources for this.

They also act as a liason between the parents and the gym. With that said, at any time, the parents may contact the gym directly, of course, but having someone to go to with questions cuts down on the gym owners' interruptions - it works very well for everyone.

Additionally, the team parents are responsible for making sure the athletes/parents know where they're supposed to be and when they're supposed to be there. They are responsible for getting the athletes from the meeting spot to the warm-up area, at which time they turn over the responsibility to the coaches.

Frankly, I'm sure I've left out quite a bit of stuff, but our gym family depends greatly on having capable, reliable, motivated team parents. Personally, I'm grateful for the ones we've had and currently have - it's not an easy job at our gym, but I definitely appreciate what they do.

Does your gym have a Team Mom/Dad assigned to each team?

If they do, what type of role does that person function as? What do they do specifically for the team?

Thank you ahead of time for answering.
Our team has two team moms that are chosen by the gym owners and the moms are responsible for organizing team bonding, taking care of team gifts and at competitions the girls go meet the team moms and they deliver them to the coaches and bring them back to the parents. They also help organize hotel room blocks, etc.

Our team has two team moms that are chosen by the gym owners and the moms are responsible for organizing team bonding, taking care of team gifts and at competitions the girls go meet the team moms and they deliver them to the coaches and bring them back to the parents. They also help organize hotel room blocks, etc.
I always wondered how the Team Moms were selected, sorry for being sexist, but I do not know any Team Dads...Tbh, I always thought the Team Mom got the position because of seniority...Nevertheless, I appreciate everyone of the Team Moms my daughter had and these women were so good at their job and fair to all the athletes and parents...Touche!

(I hate goody bags).

OMG this. I thought I was the only one.

sorry for being sexist, but I do not know any Team Dads

I don't know that this is the case with cheer as much since the girls usually show up in uniform, but with dance it's because the Team Mom often has access to (and needs to be in) places where girls are changing their clothes.

We have team moms at our new gym. They are responsible for setting up the Group Me chats, sending out emails/texts about competitions and fundraisers, setting up bonding events, etc.

I've seen some gyms where the team mom does soooooooooooo much. All the communications, goody bags for every single comp, MAKING bows for certain comps, driving extra kids that don't have rides... the list goes on. I would NEVER be a team mom because I've seen them get so taken advantage of and walked all over. I just don't know why people actually want to do it, but I guess there are just moms who like to be super involved, to the extent of not minding being used and walked all over. It boggles the mind...

We have team mom/dad's at our gym as well. They're responsible for communication, team bonding events, all the admin stuff for the team (I.e. Sizing, waivers, etc), meeting the team at competitions for report times and connecting with those who are late or have questions. They're the go to person before going to the coach or owners. Essentially, our team mom/dad is the parent wrangler and let's the coach focus on the team and the girls. Everything that happens inside the gym is the coach and what happens outside the gym is the team mom/dad.

I always wondered how the Team Moms were selected, sorry for being sexist, but I do not know any Team Dads...Tbh, I always thought the Team Mom got the position because of seniority...Nevertheless, I appreciate everyone of the Team Moms my daughter had and these women were so good at their job and fair to all the athletes and parents...Touche!
CP had a team dad last season, and he was awesome! Some of the other teams have team mom/dad combos, while others have just a team mom. Our gym owners choose the team parents based on their involvement, attitude, etc.

I try to do whatever I can to help the team parent, but there is no way I would want to BE the team parent. It's a pretty thankless job, and it isn't an easy one.

I really dislike the practice of gyms having team moms - opens the door for conflicts of interest, favoritism and politics. If a gym has so many athletes that they need to enlist their costumers to do their communication and organization tasks for them in order to function, it is time to hire an administrator or more coaching resources. I've seen "team mom" type positions grow out of control in more than one activity place so far.

People/gyms always stress the value of parents dropping and running, not watching practice, not getting emotionally invested in their child's activity, etc., then gyms create special positions for parents based on their level of involvement/dedication? I find it ironic.

@FlexyTumblerMom, I am thankful that all the gyms my daughter cheer at, had Team Moms who stayed out of the fray of the negative behavior and always appeared to be fair and helpful... I think this caused me to go out of my way to be helpful to Team Moms/Dads because I noticed exactly what @Just-a-Mom mentioned, how brutal some parents treated these helpful people who are not being paid, as if, they owe them something... I really believe that during a team award ceremony, maybe a special award should be given to Team Moms/Dads, just saying!

I am on parent board and rely and appreciate team moms for passing on info. Some info coaches don't need to b involved in, such as fundraising info, questions That new parents have that can be answered by the team moms and other stuff that may b just for that specific team.
Owners pick them themselves. Owners r always cc'd on any emails.

Ours is in charge of goody bags (I hate goody bags).

What is included in your goody bags? IS it like the standard snack bags that your athletes bring to competitions in their bags or something else entirely?

I've only known one Team Dad and that happens to be a cousin of mine. His wife was also within the staff at the gym and he embodied spirit to the nth degree. Outside of him, I've known involved dad's but no one with the title. CP's dad is one of those involved ones---ie, doing hair and make-up for CP and then doing hair for a friend at our gym in MO. However, he'd never be a Team Dad officially----he lacks the time.

Back