All-Star The Cheeropedia

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
To help the cheerleading world I (along with with some help from @BlueCat and @cheersafety ) have created the Cheeropedia. This will be an online dictionary like Wikipedia specifically for cheerleading skills (and maybe more later on).

The link is http://cheeropedia.org

I am going to be needing lots of volunteers to help pull off this project. Organizers, grammar checkers, spell checkers, those to write the articles, yadda yadda yadda. Oh, and we definitely need a logo.

For skill demonstration and initial article authoring I will fairly picky. There will probably be a small 'tryout' process. Remember this will probably grow to the defacto standard in cheer so it HAS to be right.

If you would like to participate in any way please PM me. Thanks y'all!

From the main page I am thinking you see 3 main links / sections:

Glossary

Skills for each Level(which is not a link but below it has a link to a level name)
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4
Level 5
Level 6 (Clicking this will take you to a menu of Level 6 skills divided by Stunts, Baskets, Tumbling, Jumps)

Skills by Level
Stunts (within this will be broken up Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4, Level 5, Level 6)
Baskets
Tumbling
Jumps

Starting to build a bit of structure, and add permissions. And find a good looking theme!

One thing I think is critical... There needs to be a mod to format it for phones automatically. The information needs to be easily accessible from ANY device.

For that reason I am thinking videos need to come from one youtube account with mobile permission to view. Thoughts?

Does vimeo or any of the other video website platforms have any advantages or differences to youtube?

I think we should try to keep the cheer terms straight now and only use Cheerleading to describe the entirety of the sport and activity combined.

The two major forms are Competitive Cheer and Sideline Cheer. Sideline Cheer includes both pom pom and dance squads. We should keep references to the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders or any other professional team out of any descriptions of the sport.

I like the word "cheer" because it seems weird to have an activity "cheerleading" be over a sport. Just my opinion...

I like the word "cheer" because it seems weird to have an activity "cheerleading" be over a sport. Just my opinion...

That sounds good. My point is that it would be difficult to completely eliminate the word cheerleading, we should be careful how it is used.

I like the word cheer as well along with descriptors for the different forms

I think we should try to keep the cheer terms straight now and only use Cheerleading to describe the entirety of the sport and activity combined.

The two major forms are Competitive Cheer and Sideline Cheer. Sideline Cheer includes both pom pom and dance squads. We should keep references to the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders or any other professional team out of any descriptions of the sport.

Whether you care for them or not, they were "cheerleaders" long before all star was even invented. I don't think it is our place to try to write them out of the term cheer. I don't think that sideline meets most definitions of "sport" either, but i don't think we should to deny them access to the term "cheerleading" either.

From the main page I am thinking you see 3 main links / sections:

Glossary

Skills for each Level(which is not a link but below it has a link to a level name)
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4
Level 5
Level 6 (Clicking this will take you to a menu of Level 6 skills divided by Stunts, Baskets, Tumbling, Jumps)

Skills by Level
Stunts (within this will be broken up Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4, Level 5, Level 6)
Baskets
Tumbling
Jumps

I would also add a section for motions.

I would also add a section for motions.

Standard motion descriptions? High V Low V?

I turned on the mobile skin. Anyone with an iPhone, android, or blackberry check it out. should be formatted for your phone.

I agree with the youtube videos. Trying to find a good way to accept them. I have a 6 terabyte server that i will use to store the videos as a backup as well.

That sounds good. My point is that it would be difficult to completely eliminate the word cheerleading, we should be careful how it is used.

I like the word cheer as well along with descriptors for the different forms
Whether you care for them or not, they were "cheerleaders" long before all star was even invented. I don't think it is our place to try to write them out of the term cheer. I don't think that sideline meets most definitions of "sport" either, but i don't think we should to deny them access to the term "cheerleading" either.

They are the ones attempting the skills lots of times on unsafe surfaces with no education. Hopefully with a reference site they can make smarter decisions. And it may not be the people THIS year that make the smarter decisions... but as the knowledge spreads farther you will find more and more people make better decisions.

I agree with this statement.

I don't think "cheerleading" or "cheerleader" should be done away with. I also disagree with the idea that a new format needs to have3 a new name without the word "cheer." How these words are used, thoough should be specifically spelled out so that even people within the sport caqn be better educated.

A great cartoon about standards.

http://xkcd.com/927/

The question is what standards should be applied to naming? I know my description of Main and Side bases is different than traditional but way more practical and logical.

Latest posts

Back