The Majors 2016 Reveal

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The first year we flew to Indy (07 or 08 can't remember) for 5 of us we spent $1,800 before we even left the state. Hotel (Omni....) plus food. Once we got there the people that drove were there in 8/9 hours. Lmao. It was a very expensive lesson. Lmao. Even now, it's usually CP....my middle, hubby and myself. I have a gas guzzler Yukon and even convenience store stops, food, etc....we still get out way cheaper than $1,800 for those flights.

If you're spending 2.5 hours in the air, it's a whole lot further than 1000 miles round trip (flying 500 miles is about an hour). More like 1000 miles one way. (and I don't know why you're spending an hour to get through baggage claim if you don't have bags - you're from the north, you gotta push those people out of your way! I've never been in an airport for more than 10 minutes after getting off the plane if I didn't check a bag).

If you're driving 1000 miles each way, you'd have to stop and eat, and probably stop and sleep somewhere. That jacks up your cost quite a but. I hardly think anyone would drive a thousand miles without spending on anything besides gas. If you're only going 500 miles each way, the flight would not be $500, and it would not be 2.5 hours.

Lol maybe I just need to teach a class in quick travel. We landed in Myrtle Beach at 1:45pm. Got bags (we did check them), picked up rental car, stopped at grocery store, checked into hotel, and were in the pool before 3pm. I don't play around with airports.

Left our house at 5am Friday, pool at 3pm Friday. The people that drove were also in the pool at 3pm...on SATURDAY.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
We have had different traveling experiences. It takes me an hour (with zero traffic, which means I have to schedule my flights so as not to conflict with rush hour and normally I still hit some traffic) to get to either of the airports that I fly out of. We always get a rental car because it is cheaper than taxis/uber, so it takes an average of an hour to get from the airplane and through the rental car process.
Virginia Beach is 560 miles from me and we used to compete there. It is a 9-10 hour drive. My husband and I always travel with our kids, so we can split the drive, but even if I were to drive alone, I'm the type of person who only makes a stop if I absolutely have to. We can leave at 9am, stop for lunch, and be there by 8 assuming we hit some traffic as well. No doubt a long day. But if we fly, a ticket today for a Fri-Mon flight in January is $278/ticket. It is a 3.5 hour flight down and a 3 hour flight home because there is no direct flight. It is about a 30 minute drive to the convention center. So flying would be no less than an 7.5-8 hour trip from my door to the hotel.
I have flown 6 times since October. I have had flight delays on all but 2 flights. One flight was completely cancelled on me. The cheapest flight I have gotten was $160 RT. Airline flights are getting more expensive and delays far more common. It took me 9 hours to go from my door to landing at Charlotte airport 2 weeks ago and it is less than a 2 hour flight. All I'm saying is an 8 hour drive makes sense to many people in many instances.

Chicago to Myrtle Beach is a 14 hour drive according to google maps, so that's not the best comparison. I agree that I wouldn't really call a competition a 14 hour drive away drivable.

Kernersville to Indy is an 8 hour drive, almost half as long, and if there's no direct flights it's not going to save *that* much time. Though it will definitely save money.

I was only comparing using her times and distances (meaning a 2.5 hour flight time isn't going to be 500 miles) - so I was saying her comparison wasn't the best comparison, because she had the person driving 500 miles but the person flying was obviously going further if it was 2.5 hours in the air. So I used a more accurate comparison, which was Chicago to Myrtle Beach (which is, actually, 2.5 hours in the air, which was the example she gave. If you're going a shorter distance, the flight would also be shorter)

I wouldn't call a competition more than 4 hours away drivable, so that was actually my point - "drivable" is different to everyone. If I signed up at a gym that was tweeting "We're only going to competitions we can drive to!" and that ish was 10 hours away, I'd be quite peeved. To me, 8 hours and 14 hours are the same. They're both, "Nope. That's a flight."

And again... No one seems to want to address this, but people keep bringing up how this is supposed to save families vacation time and missing school time. I don't see how that works. I'd love to have it explained. I just don't see how flying to Dallas for a Saturday/Sunday comp takes MORE of my vacation time and my kids school time than driving to Indy for a Friday comp.

We have had different traveling experiences. It takes me an hour (with zero traffic, which means I have to schedule my flights so as not to conflict with rush hour and normally I still hit some traffic) to get to either of the airports that I fly out of. We always get a rental car because it is cheaper than taxis/uber, so it takes an average of an hour to get from the airplane and through the rental car process.
Virginia Beach is 560 miles from me and we used to compete there. It is a 9-10 hour drive. My husband and I always travel with our kids, so we can split the drive, but even if I were to drive alone, I'm the type of person who only makes a stop if I absolutely have to. We can leave at 9am, stop for lunch, and be there by 8 assuming we hit some traffic as well. No doubt a long day. But if we fly, a ticket today for a Fri-Mon flight in January is $278/ticket. It is a 3.5 hour flight down and a 3 hour flight home because there is no direct flight. It is about a 30 minute drive to the convention center. So flying would be no less than an 7.5-8 hour trip from my door to the hotel.
I have flown 6 times since October. I have had flight delays on all but 2 flights. One flight was completely cancelled on me. The cheapest flight I have gotten was $160 RT. Airline flights are getting more expensive and delays far more common. It took me 9 hours to go from my door to landing at Charlotte airport 2 weeks ago and it is less than a 2 hour flight. All I'm saying is an 8 hour drive makes sense to many people in many instances.
Valid. It definitely took me 10 hours to get home yesterday witb delays - we probably could have driven in the same amount of time.

Really... My only point is "drivable" is a very poor choice of words. This thread alone tells you that - no one on here can seem to agree what constitutes drivable, so I doubt a gym with 57 bazillion athletes is going to get agreement on it.

Like I said, if you tell me we're only going to comps that are in driving distance, and I live in Chicago, our furthest comp better be Indy (3 hours) because beyond that, I'm pi$$ed that you lied and said drivable.

Which brings us fill circle - she probably should have a) kept the "announcement" in house, and b) just said, "We're not going anywhere REALLY far, like Dallas, Vegas, or LA."

The furthest I ever went was to Indy and that was a 5 hour drive and that wasn't even dealing with Chicago traffic. I'm someone who falls asleep during car rides if I'm not driving so the amount of time isnt a huge deal for me, but for my dad it is since he was the one that always drove to competitions.

I was only comparing using her times and distances (meaning a 2.5 hour flight time isn't going to be 500 miles) - so I was saying her comparison wasn't the best comparison, because she had the person driving 500 miles but the person flying was obviously going further if it was 2.5 hours in the air. So I used a more accurate comparison, which was Chicago to Myrtle Beach (which is, actually, 2.5 hours in the air, which was the example she gave. If you're going a shorter distance, the flight would also be shorter)

I wouldn't call a competition more than 4 hours away drivable, so that was actually my point - "drivable" is different to everyone. If I signed up at a gym that was tweeting "We're only going to competitions we can drive to!" and that ish was 10 hours away, I'd be quite peeved. To me, 8 hours and 14 hours are the same. They're both, "Nope. That's a flight."

And again... No one seems to want to address this, but people keep bringing up how this is supposed to save families vacation time and missing school time. I don't see how that works. I'd love to have it explained. I just don't see how flying to Dallas for a Saturday/Sunday comp takes MORE of my vacation time and my kids school time than driving to Indy for a Friday comp.

Well, just because you wouldn't drive it doesn't mean it's not driveable. Plenty of people drive 4 hours one way to practice. It's certainly reasonable for a weekend. I would never even consider flying to NYC from here and that's a 4 hour drive. You're definitely not saving time by flying at that distance.

We had a competition in Atlantic City which is a 6 hour drive. We could have flown to Philly, but the 30 minutes to the airport + the hour before your flight you have to get there + the hour in the air + time to get the rental car + the hour drive to atlantic city and you're not really saving enough time to make up for the extra expense of flying ($700 for two tickets vs $100 in gas and food at two rest stops). Plus, you can't book your flight home for Sunday night because you have no idea when you're competing or when awards are. So now you're paying for an extra hotel room and taking Monday off from work. But we left AC at 10:30 PM and got home at 5am and my husband napped for a few hours and went into work a bit late. If I had a kid, he or she could have slept in the car and gone to school on Monday. We drove home through a blizzard, but my teammates that flew didn't get home until Tuesday because of the weather.

Besides, like I mentioned in an earlier comment, yes, 2.5 hours in the air is about the same as a 14 hour drive - if it's direct. Maybe Chicago has a lot of direct flights, but Boston doesn't. Last time I flew to Myrtle Beach I couldn't get a direct flight for any reasonable amount of money. So I took the layover, but it took a lot longer than 2.5 hours (and that's ignoring the fact that i got stuck in Charlotte overnight).

Last edited:
Well, just because you wouldn't drive it doesn't mean it's not driveable. Plenty of people drive 4 hours one way to practice. It's certainly reasonable for a weekend. I would never even consider flying to NYC from here and that's a 4 hour drive. You're definitely not saving time by flying at that distance.

We had a competition in Atlantic City which is a 6 hour drive. We could have flown to Philly, but the 30 minutes to the airport + the hour before your flight you have to get there + the hour in the air + time to get the rental car + the hour drive to atlantic city and you're not really saving enough time to make up for the extra expense of flying ($700 for two tickets vs $100 in gas and food at two rest stops). Plus, you can't book your flight home for Sunday night because you have no idea when you're competing or when awards are. So now you're paying for an extra hotel room and taking Monday off from work. But we left AC at 10:30 PM and got home at 5am and my husband napped for a few hours and went into work a bit late. If I had a kid, he or she could have slept in the car and gone to school on Monday. We drove home through a blizzard, but my teammates that flew didn't get home until Tuesday because of the weather.

Besides, like I mentioned in an earlier comment, yes, 2.5 hours in the air is about the same as a 14 hour drive - if it's direct. Maybe Chicago has a lot of direct flights, but Boston doesn't. Last time I flew to Myrtle Beach I couldn't get a direct flight for any reasonable amount of money. So I took the layover, but it took a lot longer than 2.5 hours (and that's ignoring the fact that i got stuck in Charlotte overnight).
(I didn't get a direct flight to myrtle Beach either. Even with delays and layovers, I made it in about 6 hours less time... So that's not really relevant)

Anyway... For what is now I believe the FIFTH time...my point is that drivable means waaaaaaaaay different things to different people. I have yet to see a post contesting that point. Only posts contesting whether or not what *I* think is not drivable is, in fact, drivable to other people. Soooooo, you're just agreeing with me I think?

(I didn't get a direct flight to myrtle Beach either. Even with delays and layovers, I made it in about 6 hours less time... So that's not really relevant)

Anyway... For what is now I believe the FIFTH time...my point is that drivable means waaaaaaaaay different things to different people. I have yet to see a post contesting that point. Only posts contesting whether or not what *I* think is not drivable is, in fact, drivable to other people. Soooooo, you're just agreeing with me I think?

I'm not really agreeing or disagreeing with you. A gym owner saying they're only going to drivable competitions doesn't have ot mean that everyone in the gym thinks every comp is drivable. But it does mean that competitions are kept to a distance that the majority of the parents in the gym thinks is drivable. I would consider a 10 hour drive drivable even if I would choose instead to book a flight.

*MY* point in all of this as I've said 4 or 5 times is that I don't believe for a second CSP made that announcement because she wants to save her parents time or money. It's a good excuse when you're only taking NCA off the schedule and I think most of us are surprised at what comps she has considered drivable.

Our gym classifies our teams as travel or non travel teams. Our non travel teams don't compete more than 5 hours away from KC, but our travel teams competed in Texas twice last year and then did SuperNationals in addition to the non-travel team schedule. But we have a good amount of competitions in the KC area, and we can drive to competitions in Branson/Springfield, STL, Omaha, and Iowa in five hours so it leaves lots of options open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETA: our travel teams have the option of driving, flying, or riding on the bus to their "travel" competitions. So they have some choices when it comes to that. Most people fly but not all.

Last edited:
Our gym classifies our teams as travel or non travel teams. Our non travel teams don't compete more than 5 hours away from KC, but our travel teams competed in Texas twice last year and then did SuperNationals in addition to the non-travel team schedule. But we have a good amount of competitions in the KC area, and we can drive to competitions in Branson/Springfield, STL, Omaha, and Iowa in five hours so it leaves lots of options open.

I wouldn't mind going to a couple far away as long as the other ones werent more than 2 hours away. Most of mine were about an hour and a half since they were in the suburbs of Chicago.

I wouldn't mind going to a couple far away as long as the other ones werent more than 2 hours away. Most of mine were about an hour and a half since they were in the suburbs of Chicago.

Last year (non travel teams) we had 4 in Kansas City which is maybe a 30 minute drive, 2 in Branson/Springfield which is a 3-5 hour drive, 1 in Topeka which is about an hour drive, and 1 in Omaha which is 4-5 hours.

Last year (non travel teams) we had 4 in Kansas City which is maybe a 30 minute drive, 2 in Branson/Springfield which is a 3-5 hour drive, 1 in Topeka which is about an hour drive, and 1 in Omaha which is 4-5 hours.

Yeah thats not bad at all. Its nice being near large cities.

Yeah thats not bad at all. Its nice being near large cities.

It is really awesome. All of our 2 day competitions (for non travel teams)were in KC this year so unless there was an early meet time, parents didn't need to ever get a hotel room.

It is really awesome. All of our 2 day competitions (for non travel teams)were in KC this year so unless there was an early meet time, parents didn't need to ever get a hotel room.

Thats how a lot of ours were too. My parents chose to get a hotel room for the Saturday night though since you never knew the weather and it wasn't worth driving twice in crappy weather for the competitions. But a lot of parents chose to just drive home Saturday and back on Sunday.

I was only arguing with your statement that it costs as much to drive as it does to fly and there is more missed time from school. For me this is never the case. Even if I took your airline travel course I would have to get my airline tickets for next to nothing in order for the cost to be comparable, and I am guessing it would be similar for most people from the Kville gym (and if you can teach me how to do that sign me up!). If I fly anywhere the best I could do would be a dismissal on Friday and no school Monday. If I drove she would miss all of Friday and if awards end by 7pm she would go to school on Monday but just go in a couple of hours late.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

Back