High School Transportation To Away Games

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Exactly. That makes me sick. And then the general public is all, "let's get rid of cheerleading, it's useless!" yet when their little football players get concussions they're worried and want football to be made safer (even if their kid never played football).

Yes, cheerleading is potentially dangerous (like all sports) but the most dangerous thing here is YOUR APATHY, AMERICA. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. THE DOCTORS THAT DON'T TAKE US SERIOUSLY (huge thanks to the ones that do), THE LAWMAKERS THAT HAVE NO IDEA THAT CHEER HAS CHANGED OVER THE YEARS. THE LAY PEOPLE THAT BELIEVE THAT CHEER IS EASY. THE SCHOOL OFFICIALS THAT BELIEVE THAT WE ARE WORTHLESS AND UNDESERVING OF THE NECESSITIES THAT OTHER TEAMS HAVE HANDED TO THEM. THE COACHES THAT DON'T HAVE CERTIFICATION OR COMMON SENSE (even some certified coaches fail to use that).

Have any of you heard the claim that if you go to the doctor with a cheer injury, you have to lie and say that you're a gymnast or else they won't take your injury seriously? SAD!

So many people in my school (including teachers and some of the administration) take cheerleading as such a joke but the reality is that you actually have to be good to be on varsity. The JV team has juniors at my school and the Varsity team has a considerable amount of freshman.

My doctor took my injuries very seriously and I actually had knee surgery due to cheer. The nurses were confused about how many times I could dislocated my kneecap due to cheerleading(this isn't rah rah shake your poms on the sidelines ladies). There was so much physical therapy and they took me seriously as well. I have had so many head injuries that go unnoticed because its "just a hit head and it happens all the time."

It is such a disgrace that we don't even require properly trained coaches in some states or athletic trainers to cheerleaders because many of us are considerably more athletic than our peers and sustain many more critical injuries.

I just had to add to your rant!

I recently read a Facebook status from a parent of a kid I coach... Mom took the kid to the doctor because she thought the kid had pink eye and she was right. Mom asks the doctor, "she has cheer in a few hours... Do I need to keep her home?" And the doctor replied "oh, well it's an individual sport and it's just standing around so she'll be fine to go." Mom said she WENT OFF and was so embarrassed because she could tell she was getting loud in the doctors office. The kid is a flyer... That would have been a great way to spread pink eye to the whole team because the doctor didn't understand that the kid would be climbing on other kids all night...

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Ahaha yes (I don't even care how immature that sounds). How did the doctor react?

Ahaha yes (I don't even care how immature that sounds). How did the doctor react?

I guess somewhere in her rant the mom mentioned the kid was in allstar cheer... She said when she was done the doctor just looked at her and said "oh... She does all star cheer... Yeah, don't send her if that's the stuff she's doing, she shouldn't be touching anyone for 48 hours."

I guess somewhere in her rant the mom mentioned the kid was in allstar cheer... She said when she was done the doctor just looked at her and said "oh... She does all star cheer... Yeah, don't send her if that's the stuff she's doing, she shouldn't be touching anyone for 48 hours."

At least she gets that all star cheer is hard... but she's still clueless about high school cheer.

And @pvcheerclauds5 that must be so irritating! Do you guys perform at pep rallies?

Around here cheerleaders have to provide their own transportation to away games. It's noted prior to tryouts so parents know. Lots of parents pitch in and carpool. Girls cannot drive themselves to anything other than home games. It's really not an issue for us.

Taking a bus would be a burden of an expense. Our football team takes charter busses because it's cheaper than a school bus! That's how ridiculous it has gotten! Why get a hot uncomfortable bus, when you can get a charter for cheaper!?! We have too many football players to let cheerleaders on the bus, that's even with them only taking the select team to travel games. They also ride in silence... that would be challenging for my girls!

If we got a bus it would cost around $40 per girl, per game, to go. That's an expense our parents would prefer not to have.

are these fees for like charter buses or just regular school buses with schools name on it? I think it's crazy schools pay for charter buses or fancy buses lol when they could us the regular ol' school buses.
Our school uses charter because it's quite a bit cheaper than an actual school bus! Pretty ridiculous that the school buses cost what they do to use.

$300 is completely reasonable if you have a school set of uniforms and don't go to camp or pay for a professional choreographer. Those things really aren't necessary for high school sports.
I don't know of a single sport in our school besides track/cross country that doesn't attend a camp. The difference is cheer and dance camps costs more than $300-$400... and it rises every year. This law would definitely affect varsity if it ever becomes a thing everywhere. We cut our JV team expenses way back this year. Got rid of stuff (including UCA overnight camp) and made lots of stuff optional. Even then we were at the $500 range. It would be incredibly challenging to get to a required $300 max.

I don't know of a single sport in our school besides track/cross country that doesn't attend a camp. The difference is cheer and dance camps costs more than $300-$400... and it rises every year. This law would definitely affect varsity if it ever becomes a thing everywhere. We cut our JV team expenses way back this year. Got rid of stuff (including UCA overnight camp) and made lots of stuff optional. Even then we were at the $500 range. It would be incredibly challenging to get to a required $300 max.
Not to mention that cheer has expenses like choreography, music and tumbling classes.

At least she gets that all star cheer is hard... but she's still clueless about high school cheer.

And @pvcheerclauds5 that must be so irritating! Do you guys perform at pep rallies?

The pep rallies at my school are not centered around sports because that would make the sports team an exclusive group. They are run by our student council and are done in more of a competition between the grades. With that being said we can perform at as many of them as we wish. It varies sometimes we perform our halftime routine and comp routine on dead mats for both of them (on separate occasions) or sometimes just one of them that year.

I'm having a discussion with our cheer advisor about transportation to away games for the cheerleaders. At our school, the football players pay a $75 transportation fee and there is a school bus that transports them. The cheerleaders have to rely on their parents to take them, many of them having to get off work in the middle of a Friday to do so.

How does your school handle transportation for the cheerleaders? And do they pay a fee?

Our school provides buses for all teams. Free of charge. My cheerleaders have had their own bus in the past (when we had a larger team) and this year will share two buses with football bc we are somewhat smaller and it doesn't make sense financially to pay for a bus with 11 girls.
We are also a Varsity sport at our school and get equal and fair time and respect across the board. ie; Trainers, equipment, transportation, field/gym/weight room time, uniforms, comp fees, etc. The gym is ours in fall (no football, field hockey or soccer coach or team can use it unless I say so, that's OUR practice field. Much like I can't march onto their field and start stunting.)

The pep rallies at my school are not centered around sports because that would make the sports team an exclusive group. They are run by our student council and are done in more of a competition between the grades. With that being said we can perform at as many of them as we wish. It varies sometimes we perform our halftime routine and comp routine on dead mats for both of them (on separate occasions) or sometimes just one of them that year.
So they see you stunting and tumbling and still don't take you seriously?

My district buses our girls to all away games. They also bus us to competitions that are under 2 hours away. We pay for the bus when we travel to camp and other out-of-state activities (competitions).

The opposing team cheerleaders had their own bus last night. There were at least 24 or more of them.

Their band also had a custom painted semi to haul their equipment. It was impressive inside and out.

Obviously, a school with more money than ours.

Back