All-Star Trends You Want To See Die For Next Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

imho. Minis to juniors shouldn't be allowed to wear caked on make up at all! they're only little. it should be (maybe!) a tinted moisturiser with a matte powder so they don't shine on the floor and look like they've just used straight oil on their face (<- legit me with almost all tinted moisturisers AND foundations that are liquid or even cream based) and a clear lipgloss/chapstick. Seniors level 1-4 basic make-up. Open teams 1-3 could probably have a bit more of a worlds make-up look and then 4-6 your worlds level make-up but again not caked on. Total pet peeve of mine is when I can see from kilometres away that you're face is covered in a good 3" of make-up and it's not blended out properly OR goes don't the neck and onto the chest! BUT heeeey each to their own and in the end it's up the head coaches/coaches and parents who have to do the make-up

Figure skating and gymnastics are only really profitable for less than 0.1% of the kids that participate, and even then not as profitable as you would think, except for a select few. No one questions moving across the country to chase that one in a million shot. VERY VERY few kids can make a career out of either of those sports, unless it is as a coach. The money for endorsements dries up and they need a real career. I don't think moving for cheer is that much different.
This is for the most part true. But as far as gymnastics is concern there's always NCAA and a chance to attend college on an athletic scholarship. Not really the case for cheer, with veryyyy few exceptions. At least not any that cheering on one Worlds team vs. another will give any kind of leg up.

imho. Minis to juniors shouldn't be allowed to wear caked on make up at all! they're only little. it should be (maybe!) a tinted moisturiser with a matte powder so they don't shine on the floor and look like they've just used straight oil on their face (<- legit me with almost all tinted moisturisers AND foundations that are liquid or even cream based) and a clear lipgloss/chapstick. Seniors level 1-4 basic make-up. Open teams 1-3 could probably have a bit more of a worlds make-up look and then 4-6 your worlds level make-up but again not caked on. Total pet peeve of mine is when I can see from kilometres away that you're face is covered in a good 3" of make-up and it's not blended out properly OR goes don't the neck and onto the chest! BUT heeeey each to their own and in the end it's up the head coaches/coaches and parents who have to do the make-up

I agree that makeup has gotten out of control, but I don't agree than no makeup junior and under is the way to go, junior is up to 14. Around here most girls start wearing makeup full time at about 12 (starting middle school). They wear more than what you are describing on a normal school day.

I think appropriate stage makeup is necessary for any performance under stage lighting. That means at a minimum foundation, mascara and or liner, bright blush and lipstick. Otherwise they totally wash out. I get not wanting little kids to wear makeup, but to me stage makeup is a different deal entirely and serves a purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would having a full vs a back walkover affect the amount of makeup you wear? I get age (not saying I agree because I don't think stage makeup is a problem regardless of age) but level??? Aside from Worlds, levels 1-5 (along with all ages) are competing under the same lighting at every comp (except maybe NCA but the lighting in the arena and everywhere else seems like it's the same - dark room with bright lights on the stage) so the need for makeup is the same.

I agree that makeup has gotten out of control, but I don't agree than no makeup junior and under is the way to go, junior is up to 14. Around here most girls start wearing makeup full time at about 12 (starting middle school). They wear more than what you are describing on a normal school day.

I think appropriate stage makeup is necessary for any performance under stage lighting. That means at a minimum foundation, mascara and or liner, bright blush and lipstick. Otherwise they totally wash out. I get not wanting little kids to wear makeup, but to me stage makeup is a different deal entirely and serves a purpose.

This. Parents pay a LOT of money for their kids to compete. I bet those parents also want to be able to see their kid under the lights and walk away with some nice pictures. There will always that mom who puts her 5 year old in full face foundation, bronzer, blush, eye makeup and fake lashes with a bright lip stick. But setting a makeup restriction is kind of pointless. I think for the most part, gyms do a good job of setting a clean example of what their athletes should look like.

In england for ballroom and latin there are rules regarding makeup, hair and dress until the person is 12 then they can go full out.
The gist of the rule are:
-Light fake tan if going to tan at all
-no fake eyelashes
-makeup not to be too heavy
-no sprakly head pieces only a small flower or bow
small studs only
restirctions on dress
Baiscally making sure a 11 and under person looks their age

At the few comps I have been to, the little kids at my dance school wear for makeup: light eyeshadow in colour range if dress, mascara, blush, bronzer and lipstick. Some wear foundation most do not
Theses could be rules for youth and under for cheer.
Apparently a few years ago anyone could do what they wanted with makeup and dress but when 6 year olds started compete in bikini style latin costumes rules were made and they work

I get both arguments in regards to make-up.
Yes, you want your kid to be nice and tan and stand out under the bright lights, but I also think putting young kids in so much makeup has an effect on the psychologically in regards to their self concept. Yes- a performance isnt every day, but it most definitely affects how they view themselves and their want (sometimes even a psychological need) to wear makeup regularly at younger and younger ages

I get both arguments in regards to make-up.
Yes, you want your kid to be nice and tan and stand out under the bright lights, but I also think putting young kids in so much makeup has an effect on the psychologically in regards to their self concept. Yes- a performance isnt every day, but it most definitely affects how they view themselves and their want (sometimes even a psychological need) to wear makeup regularly at younger and younger ages

I disagree completely on the psychology and so does most of what I have read on the subject. Parents set the tone as far as makeup, and what they are saying to their kids on a daily basis about self image and self worth makes MUCH more if an impact than occasionally wearing stage makeup. Stage makeup in snd of itself just does not set kids up for self esteem issues. The way parents handle it and the emphasis they place on it might, but you cannot blame the makeup for that.

My CP has understood from an early age what the purpose of stage makeup was, why she wore it, and why it was appropriate for stage, but not in life. CP's friends who compete cheer and or dance and regularly wear stage makeup and hair tend to be the most minimalist of her friends as far as everyday hair and makeup. They just don't feel the need because they do it all the time for stage. In fact, they would rather NOT have to fool with hair and makeup when not on the floor. Frankly, it's ridiculous to say that wearing stage makeup makes a kid psychologically dependent on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree completely on the psychology and so does most of what I have read on the subject. Parents set the tone as far as makeup, and what they are saying to their kids on a daily basis about self image and self worth makes MUCH more if an impact than occasionally wearing stage makeup. Stage makeup in snd of itself just does not set kids up for self esteem issues. The way parents handle it and the emphasis they place on it might, but you cannot blame the makeup for that.

My CP has understood from an early age what the purpose of stage makeup was, why she wore it, and why it was appropriate for stage, but not in life. CP's friends who compete cheer and or dance and regularly wear stage makeup and hair tend to be the most minimalist of her friends as far as everyday hair and makeup. They just don't feel the need because they do it all the time for stage. In fact, they would rather NOT have to fool with hair and makeup when not on the floor. Frankly, it's ridiculous to say that wearing stage makeup makes a kid psychologically dependent on it.

My CP was so excited to wear make-up for her first few competitions, she felt so cool and was a bit miffed when her older brother told her she looked like a goblin. As the season went on though she was less enchanted; the first thing she would do after they were done competing was take of her lipstick and then the rest would come off after awards. She was most definitely not psychologically dependent on it.

In fact, they would rather NOT have to fool with hair and makeup when not on the floor.

CP is like this. She hates the hair and makeup process and would rather play with her friends until warm ups. She only ever asks to wear Chapstick for non-cheer purposes.

I agree with whoever said it has to do with the parents and not the actual makeup.

Amen.

I wore stage makeup for cheer and dance from the age of 3, and understood fully that it was just for the stage. I didn't start wearing makeup regularly until I was much, much older.

It's all about how you approach it. If you cake your child in makeup for the stage and then gush about how gorgeous and grown-up they look with all that paint on, then they'll probably want to wear it more often. If you let them know the purpose of stage makeup, and remind them that, while they look lovely, they really don't need it to be beautiful, then they're less likely to start depending on it.

Great. Can you point my in the direction of articles on this topic? Would love the read.

In regards to your comment- yes you're totally right that the way parents handle stage makeup has an effect on the child. Unfortunately not all parents handle it the same.

Back