All-Star Trends You Want To See Die For Next Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As easy it is to compare our sport to gymnastics and figure skating cheer doesn't offer the same amount of exposure, fame, money, oppourtunity or celebrity that those sports at even most elite levels . They are hundreds of 19 year old world champions working at a local H&M simply because our sport isn't a true sport career expectancy. As hard as some of our athletes work our sport still doesn't truly matter to the outside world which makes the uprooting across the country for a season seem so silly in my mind.
Figure skating and gymnastics are only really profitable for less than 0.1% of the kids that participate, and even then not as profitable as you would think, except for a select few. No one questions moving across the country to chase that one in a million shot. VERY VERY few kids can make a career out of either of those sports, unless it is as a coach. The money for endorsements dries up and they need a real career. I don't think moving for cheer is that much different.

Figure skating and gymnastics are only really profitable for less than 0.1% of the kids that participate, and even then not as profitable as you would think, except for a select few. No one questions moving across the country to chase that one in a million shot. VERY VERY few kids can make a career out of either of those sports, unless it is as a coach. The money for endorsements dries up and they need a real career. I don't think moving for cheer is that much different.
I still feel that those sports offer much more than cheer when we are thinking long term. Olympic level gymnasts and figure skaters are often offered major national brand endorsements, the few chicken finger endorsements by CA athletes pales in comparison IMO.

I still feel that those sports offer much more than cheer when we are thinking long term. Olympic level gymnasts and figure skaters are often offered major national brand endorsements, the few chicken finger endorsements by CA athletes pales in comparison IMO.
Yes, but is there enough of a shot at that to justify moving across country chasing it, or do you move because your kid is passionate about the sport? I don't think its wise to bank on parleying any sport into an endorsement career. 99% of level 10 gymnasts never see a dime, just like 99% of cheerleaders. I don't see why the frankly unrealistic shot at making some money out of it justifies one over the other.

Disclaimer: My kid is only level 2 and I in no way would consider a move at this level.

If I had a kid that was an elite athlete, this sport was their passion, then yes if I could make a move happen I would. Gymnasts and figure skaters do it ALL THE TIME to train with a particular coach/ gym and everyone is all "what amazing dedication to the sport" and "what an great parent to do that for their kid" but cheerleaders get side eyed for doing the same. All of these are amateur sports. They aren't getting paid. Why is moving to allow a kid to peruse a Worlds dream any different than moving for an Olympic dream?
There is no such thing as ONLY level 2. Level 2 is as great as any other level. I take a clean level 2 routine before a janky level 5 one any day.

My 11 year old was considered a "fetus" flyer last year. She flew on our Large Senior 2 team. I almost kind of agree with you but for another reason. Most of those younger girls on these teams have nothing in common with the older high school girls. I love seeing older flyers on Senior teams. But some of the younger ones are put on the senior teams (especially lower levels) to learn how to fly. But I would like to see the lower age limits go up to at least 12 for Senior teams of all levels. Just for maturity purposes.

Im sure this is an unpopular opinion, but fetus flyers on senior teams need to go. I would love the min age to be 14. Long lean lines on normal sized kids look so great, in my opinion. Body positions used to look so gorgeous in the air on senior teams! Not that they don't look good now, it's just...I don't know. Plus, what happens when these kids get to college and need to coed stunt? Bases aren't used to normal sized flyers and all normal sized flyers 'sized out' by the time they were 14 and have spent the last 4 years basing. It's not like college teams can bring in 12 year olds to fly. Anyway, again, Im sure its an unpopular opinion, but I digress...
ar

My 11 year old was considered a "fetus" flyer last year. She flew on our Large Senior 2 team. I almost kind of agree with you but for another reason. Most of those younger girls on these teams have nothing in common with the older high school girls. I love seeing older flyers on Senior teams. But some of the younger ones are put on the senior teams (especially lower levels) to learn how to fly. But I would like to see the lower age limits go up to at least 12 for Senior teams of all levels. Just for maturity purposes.

Im sure this is an unpopular opinion, but fetus flyers on senior teams need to go. I would love the min age to be 14. Long lean lines on normal sized kids look so great, in my opinion. Body positions used to look so gorgeous in the air on senior teams! Not that they don't look good now, it's just...I don't know. Plus, what happens when these kids get to college and need to coed stunt? Bases aren't used to normal sized flyers and all normal sized flyers 'sized out' by the time they were 14 and have spent the last 4 years basing. It's not like college teams can bring in 12 year olds to fly. Anyway, again, Im sure its an unpopular opinion, but I digress...
ar

Gymnastics can offer scholarships even if you are not an Olympic level gymnast. Most gymnasts are not moving until they are level 10/elite, at which point there is a very good chance of a college career. I guess I'm not impressed with a million kids moving across the country because they finally got a full and think they belong on a Worlds team. If you choose to put off college for a year and super senior then I think that's fine, but I think it's a little out of hand for an entire family to move so Suzie can compete at Worlds and hopefully become an instagram "cheerlebrity" and endorse hairspray.

ar
I agree with this.

I don't understand why this isn't already done. They can do so much more of that fir school uniforms, why not all star? At least offer numerical sizing like school cheer, and the ability lengthen or shorten.
I'm a college cheerleader, and the coach they had like 4 seasons ago did ALL Star uniforms. With these gaudy sequins if you had the old style or a rainbow band if you had the new one, with these ridiculous V-Necks. Either way we looked like Liberace's backwoods cousin. I'm build like one of those cute small Heineken Beer Kegs so I need things made to measure and not pick a size and hope.

It isn't for all styles of uniform (some sublimated designs come to mind), you can only get up to 2 inches, and you cannot take away length. My Cp's sleeves are always too long and It looks weird sometimes when there is decoration on the sleeves and you cannot see it. Plus, there are way fewer size options than school cheer. School cheer uniforms come in numerical sizes like 2,4,6 ect. And you can specify a skirt length. CP was an 8/15 skirt for example. Top length could be changed as well. It allows for a MUCH more customized fit than S,M,L , but requires more die cuts and time to accomplish. We were also offered minor tailoring where needed for an additional charge, for instance CP needed the waistband on the skirt taken in because of her waist/hip ratio. By the time the skirt went over her hips, the waist was huge. These options don't exist for all star. I guess the reasoning is that spandex is more forgiving, but that only goes so far.

I know the sleeve feels, I'm a short fella. My uniform sleeves are a good 10 inches to long, and I never noticed I've always pushed my sleeves up to my elbows at competitions, until looking at photos recently. My cheer pants were so baggy you could of smuggled a toddler into the movies in the legs.

@coach12 and @CoachTamara
Let's say you have an athlete that has L5 skills across the board but the highest level team you can possibly offer is L3.

Do you just keep putting them on L3 risking them becoming bored, frustrated, discouraged and ultimately quitting while learning no matter how hard they work to be better it doesn't matter. Or do you give that kid the opportunity to learn that hard work, dedication, and sacrifice to be the best they can be has its rewards?

Maybe a bad analogy but here it goes anyway.

Out of high school you get a job picking up trash while attending college where you received a masters degree in child psychology. Out of loyalty do you stay with the trash company forever or do you look for opportunities that will allow you to use your knowledge?

**Does size matter for a base?**

I don't really see a problem with moving to cheer if they don't offer a level-appropriate team. I definitely wouldn't leave like Stingrays to go to CEA or something though. If people are doing it to get famous then that's just dumb, but hey, you do you. I just hope families are considering the impact on their education and whether or not it's financially feasible for their family before they make a decision as well.

Also, I think it's different moving for gymnastics, swimming, soccer, etc. because, yes, a majority of these athletes won't make it to the Olympics or professional level, but if they're at the level to move for their sport they are most likely at the level to be receiving scholarships to play in college.

Back