All-Star Trouble Breathing During Fullouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 28, 2023
I have a question. when i run full outs i can barely even breath! i don’t have enough strength to do my jumps or give facials cause im literally dying!!! what’s a way for me to better control my breathing during full outs?

I have a question. when i run full outs i can barely even breath! i don’t have enough strength to do my jumps or give facials cause im literally dying!!! what’s a way for me to better control my breathing during full outs?

Remember to breathe during your stunts. Lots of people hold their breath. Talking through your stunts can actually help, either counts or cues. You can't talk if you're not breathing. Also, as you get more familiar with your routine, find your breathing counts. Those 2-4 counts where you're moving, or cleaning where you can grab an extra breath or so. Maybe you have an 8 count before you tumble. Finally, get cardio training. Interval training is great for cheer, more so than running a low distance run. Do a warm up (3-5 mins), and then start intervals where you sprint anywhere from 15sec to a minute, to 2 mins, and then coming back to a slow jog/hard walk for 30sec to 2 mins, depending on your fitness. I like the 30 sec sprints and working up from there. Do that for even 10 mins and you'll see improvements in your cardio

ETA - And rep, rep, rep. The more you do in practice, the easier it gets

Remember to breathe during your stunts. Lots of people hold their breath. Talking through your stunts can actually help, either counts or cues. You can't talk if you're not breathing. Also, as you get more familiar with your routine, find your breathing counts. Those 2-4 counts where you're moving, or cleaning where you can grab an extra breath or so. Maybe you have an 8 count before you tumble. Finally, get cardio training. Interval training is great for cheer, more so than running a low distance run. Do a warm up (3-5 mins), and then start intervals where you sprint anywhere from 15sec to a minute, to 2 mins, and then coming back to a slow jog/hard walk for 30sec to 2 mins, depending on your fitness. I like the 30 sec sprints and working up from there. Do that for even 10 mins and you'll see improvements in your cardio

ETA - And rep, rep, rep. The more you do in practice, the easier it gets
tysm, this should really help! :)

I have this same problem, what I’ve learned is that the more you do it the easier it gets. Also it’s a lot of endurance so the coaches at my have every athlete at our gym do a 1-3 mile run each week depending on age and level. If you practice little parts in your routine a lot and get them through your head becomes a lot easier during full outs. Just focus on taking little breaks to breathe and doing it one step at a time. Good luck!

Back