High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm thinking that implementing open stunt clinics throughout the spring prior to tryouts may be the best idea. Generally we have large numbers come for tryouts. With backgrounds of "I've never seen a stunt" to "I can do a 1.5 up stretch." The returners are the easy ones, I know what they're capable of. It's the rest of the group (that largely outnumbers returners) that makes it difficult. For us to have not have full groups of rookies, our veterans would get pretty over worked. Open gym to at least get some of those new kids in and familiar with basics sounds like a great idea! I may also limit it to only those trying out for varsity have a stunt requirement. That would take care of a lot of the newbies, since most of them are not going to meet the varsity requirement anyways. Thanks for sharing!
We do open gyms before hand and express to candidates that they can "schedule" a stunt private for an hour with two veterans (one of our choice) and one of theirs...then work

I'm thinking that implementing open stunt clinics throughout the spring prior to tryouts may be the best idea. Generally we have large numbers come for tryouts. With backgrounds of "I've never seen a stunt" to "I can do a 1.5 up stretch." The returners are the easy ones, I know what they're capable of. It's the rest of the group (that largely outnumbers returners) that makes it difficult. For us to have not have full groups of rookies, our veterans would get pretty over worked. Open gym to at least get some of those new kids in and familiar with basics sounds like a great idea! I may also limit it to only those trying out for varsity have a stunt requirement. That would take care of a lot of the newbies, since most of them are not going to meet the varsity requirement anyways. Thanks for sharing!

Yes! We normally don't even look at the freshman for varsity unless they're coming in with gymnastics backgrounds and elite tumbling which is becoming a trend. Those girls are normally really interested and come in ready to work early. But the rest are normally content on JV to learn the basics.

Vets are essentially shoe-ins to make it again. It sounds wrong but we aren't in the position to cut girls who have experience, so normally they're going through tryouts because they have to, although some who didn't make mat are aiming for that. We don't pick comp until after the regular tryouts though.

Last edited:
Yes! We normally don't even look at the freshman for varsity unless they're coming in with gymnastics backgrounds and elite tumbling which is becoming a trend. Those girls are normally really interested and come in ready to work early. But the rest are normally content on JV to learn the basics.

Vets are essentially shoe-ins to make it again. It sounds wrong but we aren't in the position to cut girls who have experience, so normally they're going through tryouts because they have to, although some who didn't make mat are aiming for that. We don't pick comp until after the regular tryouts though.

This upcoming year, as much I don't prefer 9th graders on varsity, I am going to have to put them on varsity. With the graduating seniors talent and the lack of flyers on JV, I have 2 8th grade flyers (one can base the other if needed) coming in with standing tucks, series to tuck, and running tucks almost layouts. If you don't tumble, unfortunately, as a 9th grader they are not eligible for varsity. I lose 2 out of 3 flyers, and I only have JV options as alternates... We are definitely going to be in a rebuild year.

This upcoming year, as much I don't prefer 9th graders on varsity, I am going to have to put them on varsity. With the graduating seniors talent and the lack of flyers on JV, I have 2 8th grade flyers (one can base the other if needed) coming in with standing tucks, series to tuck, and running tucks almost layouts. If you don't tumble, unfortunately, as a 9th grader they are not eligible for varsity. I lose 2 out of 3 flyers, and I only have JV options as alternates... We are definitely going to be in a rebuild year.

I will say more girls have made varsity as freshman in recent years than when I was an athlete. Myself and two other girls were the only freshman to make it, me and one girl were tumbling through to tuck, the other I'm still not sure how she made it lol. Only two other freshman made it in my time because of skill. We were always deficient in tumblers that we could not turn away people with the skills.

Middle schoolers are now understanding that tumbling is an expectation so they're taking tumbling classes and doing half year AS teams to get ready for HS. It sucks that MS cheer looks soooo different from HS cheer because it is such a culture shock. Typically we find out who is serious about the sport after the first year. If you make JV as a freshman and don't try to improve, you'll stay there.

Is it maturity that keeps the 9th graders off the team? I know for me I really came into my own and honestly became a better person being the youngest on the team. Coming in with some friends helps too!

I will say more girls have made varsity as freshman in recent years than when I was an athlete. Myself and two other girls were the only freshman to make it, me and one girl were tumbling through to tuck, the other I'm still not sure how she made it lol. Only two other freshman made it in my time because of skill. We were always deficient in tumblers that we could not turn away people with the skills.

Middle schoolers are now understanding that tumbling is an expectation so they're taking tumbling classes and doing half year AS teams to get ready for HS. It sucks that MS cheer looks soooo different from HS cheer because it is such a culture shock. Typically we find out who is serious about the sport after the first year. If you make JV as a freshman and don't try to improve, you'll stay there.

Is it maturity that keeps the 9th graders off the team? I know for me I really came into my own and honestly became a better person being the youngest on the team. Coming in with some friends helps too!

A few reasons I tend to keep 9th graders off..

1: Maturity for SOME. Not all can hack it and not all can hack it for 4 years without the feelings of entitlement once they hit junior year. Some I look back and regret b/c they needed that year on JV for future work ethic. I have sat more seniors that have been on varsity as 9th graders b/c they stop working and the underclassmen are running circles around them! :) (That parent conversation is always fun)

2: I typically have girls that I know the work ethic, dedication, etc and so I don't need a 9th grader to fill that spot. This upcoming season, we know we likely need these few girls to keep varsity moving at the level they are. However, I won't know until tryouts.

3: We rarely have incoming 9th graders ready. When we do, they are shoe-ins.

Hope that helps!

A few reasons I tend to keep 9th graders off..

1: Maturity for SOME. Not all can hack it and not all can hack it for 4 years without the feelings of entitlement once they hit junior year. Some I look back and regret b/c they needed that year on JV for future work ethic. I have sat more seniors that have been on varsity as 9th graders b/c they stop working and the underclassmen are running circles around them! :) (That parent conversation is always fun)

2: I typically have girls that I know the work ethic, dedication, etc and so I don't need a 9th grader to fill that spot. This upcoming season, we know we likely need these few girls to keep varsity moving at the level they are. However, I won't know until tryouts.

3: We rarely have incoming 9th graders ready. When we do, they are shoe-ins.

Hope that helps!

Sound similar to us. I find the first one to be interesting but so true. One of the other girls to make it freshman year with me without having the tumbling, was one of the more arrogant juniors and seniors. It wasn't that she didn't try as hard but she was just very bossy and loved to drop the fact she was on the team for 4 years.

Sound similar to us. I find the first one to be interesting but so true. One of the other girls to make it freshman year with me without having the tumbling, was one of the more arrogant juniors and seniors. It wasn't that she didn't try as hard but she was just very bossy and loved to drop the fact she was on the team for 4 years.

LOL.. The funny thing is, the 2 I sat last year are still the first 2 to say HI and tell me how much they miss it, so I did something right!

LOL.. The funny thing is, the 2 I sat last year are still the first 2 to say HI and tell me how much they miss it, so I did something right!

Oh yeah, my friend is probably the most intense after the fact (we are almost done with college btw). I'm an actual 'volunteer' coach, and help teach tryout materials, skill progression during the summer. I'm also still cheering. She is not but loves to come tell the youngins about her glory days.

She was also one who got in a lot of trouble back in the day for being wild and crazy. She was kicked off for comp season our junior year for misusing social media.

What's happening?

Schools and districts should have a choice. Your traditional sideline cheer can stay the way it is and still compete as we have it now, UCA, USA, NCA etc. You just aren't under the sport. The sport is an entirely new sport created for spring season and is Stunt. You can have them together, but you do not have to. It is school choice, so if you have a good relationship with admin and athletic director you can leave your program as is and hire someone new to do the CIF Stunt Sport in the spring. Or you can choose not to participate all together. I know some schools aren't giving their coaches any choice and don't really understand what has been put into place. I am hoping that Admin will take the time to listen and understand what has happened. CIF Created something brand new, therefor it should be an added sport, not in place of cheerleading as we now have it. If you read the bill and language from CIF this is what happened. Sideline cheerleading and competition through Varsity brand companies is not considered a sport. Hope this helps.

Dear people,

If you're going to contact me with questions about Varsity cheer, there is really no reason to "pump up" your kid's cheer resume.

Exhibit A: an email exchange I recently had with a parent that went like this:

Parent: Hi, I believe we know each other from the _____ financial aid night we attended with my son. You mentioned that you were the HS cheer coach. I wanted to touch base with you about the school cheer tumbling requirement. We are new to the HS this coming year. Suzi has been cheering since age 6 at ______ All Stars and is on Junior 3 and Senior 4.2 this season. She is a strong Level 4 tumbler and has some level 5 skills and is working toward making a Worlds team, just wondering what the Varsity team typically has coming in.

Me: Hi! I believe I remember your face. We judge tumbling on a rubric but I can tell you that the average Varsity cheerleader comes in to tryouts with running and standing tucks, with a few having standing and running passes to layout. If your daughter is at or very close all star level 4, this is most likely in line with the caliber of tumbling that she is throwing at practice, even if she is only competing level 3.

Parent: Ok. Yes. Suzi is generally a level 4 tumbler though not on Level 4 teams. In the past season, she was put on lower teams. She actually has not thrown her standing tuck at all this season without a spotter. She can throw a running tuck with a light spot. Heavy spot on standing tuck. Will there be spotters at tryouts? She was spotted at her all star tryout.

Me: We do have some spotters available at open gym but for clinics and tryouts, we do not have spotters. We want to see what skills the athletes are able to perform safely without assistance.

Parent: May I ask why? The all star team used them.

Me: Again, we want to see what skills the kids have without help.

Parent: So how will she be judged if the only tumbling she can do alone is a back handspring?

Me: Those skills are typically the skills that our JV team has.

Parent: I am interested in her making Varsity. She cheers on a 4.2 team and has been cheering since age 6.

Parent: Can I send you video of her spotted tuck? If she threw a tuck with a spotter and landed, how would that be scored?

Me: 1. I am unable to view or provide feedback on tumbling videos but can recommend some tumbling coaches. 2. Tryouts do not have spotters. We only score unassisted tumbling.

Parent: I was told that you offer privates. Also, what if she were to throw a tuck and not land it? How would you score that?

Me: I am a private instructor at ______ on a limited basis. However, as a coach at ____HS I cannot give privates to those trying out as I coach the team. That is a conflict of interest. I also am unable to tell someone how something would be scored but I can tell you that tumbling must be landed in order to be scored.

Parent: Ok. Tumbling we will need to work on. Thank you for your help.

This child went from "level 4 in all stars" to "ok she actually only has a handspring" in 30 minutes. Why not just say that?

Dear people,

If you're going to contact me with questions about Varsity cheer, there is really no reason to "pump up" your kid's cheer resume.

Parent: Hi, I believe we know each other from the _____ financial aid night we attended with my son. You mentioned that you were the HS cheer coach. I wanted to touch base with you about the school cheer tumbling requirement. We are new to the HS this coming year. Suzi has been cheering since age 6 at ______ All Stars and is on Junior 3 and Senior 4.2 this season. She is a strong Level 4 tumbler and has some level 5 skills and is working toward making a Worlds team, just wondering what the Varsity team typically has coming in.

Me: Hi! I believe I remember your face. We judge tumbling on a rubric but I can tell you that the average Varsity cheerleader comes in to tryouts with running and standing tucks, with a few having standing and running passes to layout. If your daughter is at or very close all star level 4, this is most likely in line with the caliber of tumbling that she is throwing at practice, even if she is only competing level 3.

Parent: Ok. Yes. Suzi is generally a level 4 tumbler though not on Level 4 teams. In the past season, she was put on lower teams. She actually has not thrown her standing tuck at all this season without a spotter. She can throw a running tuck with a light spot. Heavy spot on standing tuck. Will there be spotters at tryouts? She was spotted at her all star tryout.

Me: We do have some spotters available at open gym but for clinics and tryouts, we do not have spotters. We want to see what skills the athletes are able to perform safely without assistance.

Parent: So how will she be judged if the only tumbling she can do alone is a back handspring?

Parent: I am interested in her making Varsity. She cheers on a 4.2 team and has been cheering since age 6.

Parent: Can I send you video of her spotted tuck? If she threw a tuck with a spotter and landed, how would that be scored?

Me: 1. I am unable to view or provide feedback on tumbling videos but can recommend some tumbling coaches. 2. Tryouts do not have spotters. We only score unassisted tumbling.

Parent: I was told that you offer privates. Also, what if she were to throw a tuck and not land it? How would you score that?

Me: I am a private instructor at ______ on a limited basis. However, as a coach at ____HS I cannot give privates to those trying out as I coach the team. That is a conflict of interest. I also am unable to tell someone how something would be scored but I can tell you that tumbling must be landed in order to be scored.

This child went from "level 4 in all stars" to "ok she actually only has a handspring" in 30 minutes. Why not just say that?
Sounds exactly like parents I encounter :rolleyes:.

Parent: "Suzi has been cheering since she was 6! She's a senior! Why are freshman on the competition team and she is not?!"
In my head: ... Suzi does not have a BHS... freshman has standing tuck, running full, specialty pass, elite flyer..."

Also, folks, I am going to be really honest.

Stop putting "cheering and competing since age 2" or "dance since 18 months" on your paperwork.

It doesn't impress me or make you look more experienced.

Also no gym or school or rec program near here starts before maybe Tiny or Mini age.

It also begs the important question:

WHERE. IS. A. 2. YEAR. OLD. CHEERING?

Playpen All Stars? ON TODDLER LEVEL 1?

What skills does a 2 year old learn?!

Foward running to your spot with elite standing specialty pass?!

I need answers!

Dear people,

I'm reading this in my head in the computer generated voices of the forever lost Suzy videos...

Back