High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Also, folks, I am going to be really honest.

Stop putting "cheering and competing since age 2" or "dance since 18 months" on your paperwork.

It doesn't impress me or make you look more experienced.

Also no gym or school or rec program near here starts before maybe Tiny or Mini age.

It also begs the important question:

WHERE. IS. A. 2. YEAR. OLD. CHEERING?

Playpen All Stars? ON TODDLER LEVEL 1?

What skills does a 2 year old learn?!

Foward running to your spot with elite standing specialty pass?!

I need answers!
LMAO! Thank you. The skills kids learn at 5 and under in any sport (with classes for kids that age) are less about actual sport skills and more about being able to follow directions, be in a room of others with/without mommy, etc. Chances are, your kid wasn't throwing handsprings in kindergarten.

Schools and districts should have a choice. Your traditional sideline cheer can stay the way it is and still compete as we have it now, UCA, USA, NCA etc. You just aren't under the sport. The sport is an entirely new sport created for spring season and is Stunt. You can have them together, but you do not have to. It is school choice, so if you have a good relationship with admin and athletic director you can leave your program as is and hire someone new to do the CIF Stunt Sport in the spring. Or you can choose not to participate all together. I know some schools aren't giving their coaches any choice and don't really understand what has been put into place. I am hoping that Admin will take the time to listen and understand what has happened. CIF Created something brand new, therefor it should be an added sport, not in place of cheerleading as we now have it. If you read the bill and language from CIF this is what happened. Sideline cheerleading and competition through Varsity brand companies is not considered a sport. Hope this helps.
So Stunt but not A&T. Weird.

I have no problem with sideline, STUNT and comp cheer being different things. That's all fine, well and good. Here are where we have issues-last year we had a sideline team and then our best kids from sideline did comp.

If we did this again, my sideline team would NOT be a sport. They are telling districts and athletic directors this is now an after school activity or even better, a CLUB. Why does this matter? Well, clubs don't have coaches. Members can join at any point during the year. You can't make cuts, or check grades. Clubs are usually advised by a teacher.

So make them all compete! Perfect. Oh wait... We have to follow CIF rules. I can't have try outs for incoming freshman until they have graduated, so June. Which means I can't order camp clothes, uniforms, or pay for camp for them since it's in July. We would have no time to get these items or fundraise to pay for them.

I've been reading non-stop since this all started, and all I can say is it's a mess. There are just so many people that have NO idea what cheer is that are making decisions... It's blowing my mind. Cheer is not the same as all the other sports, and trying to put it in that pretty box doesn't work.

I have no problem with sideline, STUNT and comp cheer being different things. That's all fine, well and good. Here are where we have issues-last year we had a sideline team and then our best kids from sideline did comp.

If we did this again, my sideline team would NOT be a sport. They are telling districts and athletic directors this is now an after school activity or even better, a CLUB. Why does this matter? Well, clubs don't have coaches. Members can join at any point during the year. You can't make cuts, or check grades. Clubs are usually advised by a teacher.

So make them all compete! Perfect. Oh wait... We have to follow CIF rules. I can't have try outs for incoming freshman until they have graduated, so June. Which means I can't order camp clothes, uniforms, or pay for camp for them since it's in July. We would have no time to get these items or fundraise to pay for them.

I've been reading non-stop since this all started, and all I can say is it's a mess. There are just so many people that have NO idea what cheer is that are making decisions... It's blowing my mind. Cheer is not the same as all the other sports, and trying to put it in that pretty box doesn't work.
This is already the way it is in NY since they made it a sport. Tryouts the last two weeks in August along with all the other fall sports. Many schools now have "not mandatory but highly suggested" clinics during the spring and summer so that the coaches can at least get a feel for what their teams will look like come tryouts in August. Camp during the summer for current team members is suggested but not mandatory. And homecoming becomes a nightmare because our school selects the date based on who they think they have the greatest chance of beating (because who wants to play the previous season county champs in front of a full house) so it could be anywhere from mid-September through the mid-October (we at least want a chance of decent weather)....Not to mention that the season now runs through the beginning of March if the team is good, because that is when States are held. Previously it typically ended in February with UCA if your school was attending, or the end of January if they did not go to a "nationals" comp.

Competitive cheer is a sport, but has no season. So all the rules apply, but without a real season it's hard to figure out how to make them work. I'm just so, so frustrated. I have a meeting with the AD today and I'm going to make him choose and figure out what he wants (with my very guided input). But really, I don't think any options are great. No matter what we are losing a chunk of what I think is important, and that sucks.

Competitive cheer is a sport, but has no season. So all the rules apply, but without a real season it's hard to figure out how to make them work. I'm just so, so frustrated. I have a meeting with the AD today and I'm going to make him choose and figure out what he wants (with my very guided input). But really, I don't think any options are great. No matter what we are losing a chunk of what I think is important, and that sucks.
Competitive cheer here does have a season - winter. That's when all the HS comps take place as well as regionals, nationals and states.

Competitive cheer here does have a season - winter. That's when all the HS comps take place as well as regionals, nationals and states.

I'm thinking that the powers that be don't let that happen... If it's a winter sport you can't talk to the girls before the season (November) which means no camp. That's a big hit for the companies charging $500/kid for camps around here...

I can agree with this, regarding school administrators.

@oncecoolcoachnowmom what were your friends experiencing?

Dear people,

If you're going to contact me with questions about Varsity cheer, there is really no reason to "pump up" your kid's cheer resume.

Exhibit A: an email exchange I recently had with a parent that went like this:

Parent: Hi, I believe we know each other from the _____ financial aid night we attended with my son. You mentioned that you were the HS cheer coach. I wanted to touch base with you about the school cheer tumbling requirement. We are new to the HS this coming year. Suzi has been cheering since age 6 at ______ All Stars and is on Junior 3 and Senior 4.2 this season. She is a strong Level 4 tumbler and has some level 5 skills and is working toward making a Worlds team, just wondering what the Varsity team typically has coming in.

Me: Hi! I believe I remember your face. We judge tumbling on a rubric but I can tell you that the average Varsity cheerleader comes in to tryouts with running and standing tucks, with a few having standing and running passes to layout. If your daughter is at or very close all star level 4, this is most likely in line with the caliber of tumbling that she is throwing at practice, even if she is only competing level 3.

Parent: Ok. Yes. Suzi is generally a level 4 tumbler though not on Level 4 teams. In the past season, she was put on lower teams. She actually has not thrown her standing tuck at all this season without a spotter. She can throw a running tuck with a light spot. Heavy spot on standing tuck. Will there be spotters at tryouts? She was spotted at her all star tryout.

Me: We do have some spotters available at open gym but for clinics and tryouts, we do not have spotters. We want to see what skills the athletes are able to perform safely without assistance.

Parent: May I ask why? The all star team used them.

Me: Again, we want to see what skills the kids have without help.

Parent: So how will she be judged if the only tumbling she can do alone is a back handspring?

Me: Those skills are typically the skills that our JV team has.

Parent: I am interested in her making Varsity. She cheers on a 4.2 team and has been cheering since age 6.

Parent: Can I send you video of her spotted tuck? If she threw a tuck with a spotter and landed, how would that be scored?

Me: 1. I am unable to view or provide feedback on tumbling videos but can recommend some tumbling coaches. 2. Tryouts do not have spotters. We only score unassisted tumbling.

Parent: I was told that you offer privates. Also, what if she were to throw a tuck and not land it? How would you score that?

Me: I am a private instructor at ______ on a limited basis. However, as a coach at ____HS I cannot give privates to those trying out as I coach the team. That is a conflict of interest. I also am unable to tell someone how something would be scored but I can tell you that tumbling must be landed in order to be scored.

Parent: Ok. Tumbling we will need to work on. Thank you for your help.

This child went from "level 4 in all stars" to "ok she actually only has a handspring" in 30 minutes. Why not just say that?

THIS!!!

Read this to my friends who coach all stars last night and we were rolling. We have all experienced this.

Also, folks, I am going to be really honest.

Stop putting "cheering and competing since age 2" or "dance since 18 months" on your paperwork.

It doesn't impress me or make you look more experienced.

Also no gym or school or rec program near here starts before maybe Tiny or Mini age.

It also begs the important question:

WHERE. IS. A. 2. YEAR. OLD. CHEERING?

Playpen All Stars? ON TODDLER LEVEL 1?

What skills does a 2 year old learn?!

Foward running to your spot with elite standing specialty pass?!

I need answers!

They do elite running stumbling passes

Same issues as @CoachTamara in regards to how to hold camp when you are not allowed to even talk to kids until (example) July.

Where I am cheer has been a sport for years, with the State sport's association running it like the other sports teams.
We have specified 'seasons,' Fall Cheer is football sideline/competition, while winter cheerleading is only basketball no competing. In terms of competition we are 'out of season' and can't tumble or stunt with a coach until May/June where we have open gym for two weeks, and again in the last week of July before the season actually starts. For a week or so in the Summer, they aren't allowed to talk to the coach. Seniors run non-stunt conditioning at this time. Try outs aren't till early August, when all fall sports start. This year they did camp before tryouts and it wasn't mandatory, those who attended were dedicated interests and vets. This was new, previously we had tryouts the first week of August and then went to commuter camp the following week.

I will say schools with good basketball programs are at an advantage. Your season can go into March, so you end up with a shorter off time, and you can skills build until the season ends.

I hate about being a sport is that there's little room for actual competing on regular basis, as we can't go to any EP competitions. The conference match is in early October so you have little time, and comp season is always supposed to be done before Thanksgiving. There's the trend of having invitationals to get teams out and competing, so you are not limited to just the conference comps. We do local ones-one with local schools, some in our district some not and one with more teams from the southern half of the state.

Hence why I've been saying for close to 20 years that all the morons who have had their noses in the air screaming "cheerleading is a sport" were wrong, and should have just kept their uppity-ness to themselves rather than ruining it for the rest of us.

cheerleading is not a sport

cheerleading will never be a sport

professional wrestling is not a sport

professional wrestling will never be a sport

Why the comparison? No one can deny that the participants in both activities are highly-trained athletic individuals who perform daring feats of strength, agility, and athleticism in a fashion that makes it look easy to the untrained bystander. Professional wrestling began to flourish when it stopped trying to pretend that it was anything more than an athletic stage show. Cheerleading meanwhile has continued to try to prove to everyone that it is a sport, and the industry from a competitive standpoint is in more of a mess now than it has ever been. Thankfully, we have rulemakers who have purposefully stopped us from slamming our heads into each other, unlike professional wrestlers who continue to die at young ages at alarming rates.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that the powers that be don't let that happen... If it's a winter sport you can't talk to the girls before the season (November) which means no camp. That's a big hit for the companies charging $500/kid for camps around here...

The way around that, in KY at least, is to have open gyms all summer. All summer long, anyone who wants to attend may do so. You can't make camp mandatory, but it can be an understood.

Back