High School Tumbling On Dead Mat

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 12, 2011
I'm a solid level five all star and am trying out for my high school team this year. I really want to impress the coaches by throwing at least a layout, if not a full. Does anyone have any tips on transitioning from spring floor to dead mat? I searched the threads, but the results only really applied to lower level tumbling. Thanks in advance!

Just make sure you push through your toes and don't tumble on your heels because it hurts!! Just push harder and tumble harder than you would on spring floor. Hard floor makes you really use your technique!

My advice... commit to it don't keep in the back of your head oh this is a dead mat b/c then you will probably do something silly and psych yourself out. If you have good technique a round off handspring layout will feel the same, your landing may feel a little different but all in all after the first attempt you will be fine. Work your way into it also, do a handspring series to see how it feels, a tuck, etc.

TECHNIQUE! Stay on your toes and use your knees. Don't try to punch the floor, it won't spring back. If you have poor technique you may want to consider just doing tucks.

just like most of ya'll said already, TECHNIQUE is key! I was worried about this too but as long as you set properly and rotate at the right timing you should be just fine! The tough part for me wasn't actually throwing the tumbling but landing it. They don't call it dead mat for no reason... it kills your ankles!

I'm probably the only one in the world who thinks this, but I'd rather tumble on a dead mat. It forces me to use technique and I feel so much more powerful than when on the spring floor.. it's weird. But really make your roundoff powerfull! and set. It's not that bad! Good luck!

tumbling on dead mat wasn't much different than a spring floor for me. I could throw everything that i had on spring floor perfectly on a dead mat. it could be because i tumbled on dead mat 6 days a week and spring floor 2 so i was more used to dead mat but you really just need good technique and you should be good to go! good luck! :)

I'm probably the only one in the world who thinks this, but I'd rather tumble on a dead mat. It forces me to use technique and I feel so much more powerful than when on the spring floor.. it's weird. But really make your roundoff powerfull! and set. It's not that bad! Good luck!
I know a lot of people that prefer dead mat as well. You're not alone!

Back