Tumbling Progressions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
Is there a healthy and safe middle ground between the slow, technique-focused progression we see in gymnastics and the 'huck-'n'-chuck' difficulty-focused progression that we see with some cheer programs, and have you found it? How do you apply it?

I think our gym does a good job with it. There are definite progressions and an athlete must have all level skills with good technique before moving on. Parents are made aware of the requirements. The tumbling progression is posted several places in the gym, and instructors are not afraid to say "that skill isn't strong enough to begin teaching the next one". There is definitely an over all perfection before progression mentality that I didn't get at first, but I am now seeing it pay dividends for CP in the form of clean, safe tumbling.

I think our gym does a good job with it. There are definite progressions and an athlete must have all level skills with good technique before moving on. Parents are made aware of the requirements. The tumbling progression is posted several places in the gym, and instructors are not afraid to say "that skill isn't strong enough to begin teaching the next one". There is definitely an over all perfection before progression mentality that I didn't get at first, but I am now seeing it pay dividends for CP in the form of clean, safe tumbling.
I wonder how that would work for scholastic cheer. I mean, how is a high school or a middle school coach supposed to get the kids to learn all of the proper progressions despite likely having to deal with impatience from the kids and difficulty at competition?

Last edited:
FlexyTumblerMom, I have to agree with you on this point and there is a reason to why this happen, in my opinion. I believe at this stage, if the gymnast is on a team, levels 1- 5 more focus is given on Floor exercise, vault and tumbling, I think to hold the interest of the talented tumblers, which caught the attention of coaches in the first place.

But when the gymnast reach level 6, the shift and focus, at least in my daughter's situation had become more intense working on the balance beam and bars routines instead of tumbling, which the practices are long, hard and boring... When the gymnast reach level 6, which they are all still learning compulsory routines in all the gyms, believe it or not, in gymnastic in the levels 1-6 there is a Universal learning Rubric. Everybody are learning the same things and the same routines. But once the gymnast reached level 7 - Optional routine training comes into play and this is where more of the individual gymnast's personality can be developed in the routines... The girls who I spoke to who are still on the gymnastic team that my daughter used to be on, tell us that the practices are more individualized and they are working on all the apparatuses, but are able to focus on the things they enjoy and this is where the tumblers, who stayed are able to focus more on advanced level skills in tumbling like double tucks and layouts, etc...

The hardest part for our cheerleaders who quit at level 6 because of the shift in training they never get to level 7 and experience the advanced tumbling skills that the other girls are learning.

PS: In gymnastic training, half fulls are taught before full and the same with doubles - I was kind of surprise when I saw how tumbling progressions occur in cheerleading, so different.

Last edited:
FlexyTumblerMom, I have to agree with you on this point and there is a reason to why this happen, in my opinion. I believe at this stage, if the gymnast is on a team, levels 1- 5 more focus is given on Floor exercise, vault and tumbling, I think to hold the interest of the talented tumblers, which caught the attention of coaches in the first place.

But when the gymnast reach level 6, the shift and focus, at least in my daughter's situation had become more intense working on the balance beam and bars routines instead of tumbling, which the practices are long, hard and boring... When the gymnast reach level 6, which they are all still learning compulsory routines in all the gyms, believe it or not, in gymnastic in the levels 1-6 there is a Universal learning Rubric. Everybody are learning the same things and the same routines. But once the gymnast reached level 7 - Optional routine training comes into play and this is where more of the individual gymnast's personality can be developed in the routines... The girls who I spoke to who are still on the gymnastic team that my daughter used to be on, tell us that the practices are more individualized and they are working on all the apparatuses, but are able to focus on the things they enjoy and this is where the tumblers, who stayed are able to focus more on advanced level skills in tumbling like double tucks and layouts, etc...

The hardest part for our cheerleaders who quit at level 6 because of the shift in training they never get to level 7 and experience the advanced tumbling skills that the other girls are learning.

PS: In gymnastic training, half fulls are taught before full and the same with doubles - I was kind of surprise when I saw how tumbling progressions occur in cheerleading, so different.
I love the fact that they teach half twists before fulls!

Luckily for cheerleading, a lot of those former Olympic track gymnasts really enjoy all star cheer - they go from having coaches who hold them back from working on new skills until every pinkie toe and finger is in perfect position on the old skill they been throwing for a year, to letting them go for that double full. They also make great bases, flyers and jumpers. Makeup, cute uniforms and competing as a TEAM, as opposed to individually, is also very refreshing.

A good round off back handspring into a set is so critical - IMO as long as the gymnast made it to that point w/ good technique, they are golden for the rest of the way - at least as far as cheer will let them go.

I know, right! When my daughter left gymnastics at almost 9 - she had perfected her half fulls and this is where the tumbling training took a backseat to balance beam and bars... I guess when the gymnast reached level 7, the tumbling resumes at Fulls and up...

Luckily for cheerleading, a lot of those former Olympic track gymnasts really enjoy all star cheer - they go from having coaches who hold them back from working on new skills until every pinkie toe and finger is in perfect position on the old skill they been throwing for a year, to letting them go for that double full. They also make great bases, flyers and jumpers. Makeup, cute uniforms and competing as a TEAM, as opposed to individually, is also very refreshing.

A good round off back handspring into a set is so critical - IMO as long as the gymnast made it to that point w/ good technique, they are golden for the rest of the way - at least as far as cheer will let them go.

FlexyTumblerMom, here I have to disagree with your 1st sentence ... I thank God everyday that I started my daughter off in gymnastics before cheerleading. I believe my daughter has more of a passion and appreciation for cheerleading, because she chose this sport and she is better equipped to handle the training that is required. Furthermore, not to :deadhorse:she learned some important skills that made salve off her suffering tumbling Mental Blocks in the future.

I agree with the last sentence in the 1st paragraph, my daughter loves the TEAM aspect of cheerleading and the cute uniforms - but she really have a hard time wrapping her head around the MakeUp and Hair issues... Even at 11, she always say "Why cheerleaders so hung up on Hair and Make-Up, if we are true athletes!":confused:

Last edited:
I wonder how that would work for scholastic cheer. I mean, how is a high school or a middle school coach supposed to get the kids to learn all of the proper progressions despite likely having to deal with impatience from the kids and difficulty at competition?
At my school, we were never allowed to throw anything before we had the skill leading up to it perfect. We started with back walkovers, then springs, then tucks. We always did lots of drills, lots of conditioning and used spots & tumbling equipment. We never rushed skills for a competition either, if someone didn't have the skill, we wouldn't put it in that week.

I'd say that depends on the coach. I have so many kids who tell me they got their BHS. The really mean they got it on the trampoline with a spotter. I don't care how much they whine, unless they can show me basic progressions, I don't spot them. When I do at first, I double spot them. Most get sent back to drills.

I also have very little in the way of equipment to give them lots of drills and progressions. We're better equipped for walkovers, so with the younger kids, it's easier to do progressions. By junior high, if they're not in a tumbling class, they're not likely to learn it with me at the school

Anyway, if you've got school coaches giving in to kids being impatience, that's a coaching and safety issue.

Most high school teams in our area that compete pay a gym to train tumbling and stunts. Then girls pay tuition directly to the gym, and have a team block of time to come in, or have an instructor come to them. Many of the more competitive teams also have the girls sign up for tumbling classes at a gym and submit proof of registration/ attendance to the coach.

Most high school teams in our area that compete pay a gym to train tumbling and stunts. Then girls pay tuition directly to the gym, and have a team block of time to come in, or have an instructor come to them. Many of the more competitive teams also have the girls sign up for tumbling classes at a gym and submit proof of registration/ attendance to the coach.
The problem is that some all star gyms don't care about progression. They rush skills with little regard for technique.

I know, right! When my daughter left gymnastics at almost 9 - she had perfected her half fulls and this is where the tumbling training took a backseat to balance beam and bars... I guess when the gymnast reached level 7, the tumbling resumes at Fulls and up...
You have a "fierce beast" girl!:) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back