College Uca College Nationals 2012 - 8 Panels?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2012
Hey everyone! Okay, a while back, I was watching uca college nationals, and I saw something pretty different - they only competed with 8 mats instead of the traditional 9. Coming from an allstar background, this just struck me as odd, I had never seen anything like it before. I actually had to pasue the video and count the number of mats! It was just so strange to see center as a line instead of a space! The link here: Universal Cheerleaders Association - Where America Cheers:: HomeCollege Nationals shows a video from uca's website, where center is clearly a line... and only 8 mats are present. I just wanted to know if this was a new rule, or something that has been going on for a while now... I havent gotten to see too many college performances, but the ones I have seen all had 9 panels. please let me know, it has been on my mind for a while now!

Hey everyone! Okay, a while back, I was watching uca college nationals, and I saw something pretty different - they only competed with 8 mats instead of the traditional 9. Coming from an allstar background, this just struck me as odd, I had never seen anything like it before. I actually had to pasue the video and count the number of mats! It was just so strange to see center as a line instead of a space! The link here: Universal Cheerleaders Association - Where America Cheers:: HomeCollege Nationals shows a video from uca's website, where center is clearly a line... and only 8 mats are present. I just wanted to know if this was a new rule, or something that has been going on for a while now... I havent gotten to see too many college performances, but the ones I have seen all had 9 panels. please let me know, it has been on my mind for a while now!

Apparently it's been like that for a while, but I never noticed either :D

its been tradition to have 8 mats, allstar chose to use 9 many years ago to allow those kids to tumble more. Hence why college cheer comps are the most elite. 8 mats, no spring, and you do school at the same time all year

its been tradition to have 8 mats, allstar chose to use 9 many years ago to allow those kids to tumble more. Hence why college cheer comps are the most elite. 8 mats, no spring, and you do school at the same time all year

Hah, way to show your bias. I'm fairly certain NCA College Nationals use 9 mats - and high school kids have jobs and school too.

Hah, way to show your bias. I'm fairly certain NCA College Nationals use 9 mats - and high school kids have jobs and school too.
its a discussion forum where opinions are what creates the discussions and conversations, so not so much bias as opinion.

its a discussion forum where opinions are what creates the discussions and conversations, so not so much bias as opinion.

I should have added a wink after "way to show your bias," that's how I meant the statement. I, too, prefer college to all-star, though I wouldn't go as far as to way it's the most elite.

Back