High School Uniform Trends And Problems

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

On my allstar team we have red, white, black, and zebra unis. To match the zebra on the top, our spandex were zebra, and I personally love it because there is no zebra on the skirt. So if we had red spandex, the zebra on the top would look way out of place.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Oops. My teams colors are navy and silver. We have a VERY clean uni, Just silver trim down the sleeve and on the bottom of the skirt. The whole uniform is navy. I put them in silver spandex bc there was soooo much navy. Hmmm, may have to re think that for next year!

I probably would have done the same, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing I your spandex color isn't also the main color of your uniform.

Since this is in the HS thread... strongly dislike the 2-day uniform trend we saw at nationals this year. The judging panel sees a LOT of teams over the course of two days. If you had a strong first day performance and wear a different uniform the next day, it's basically like starting from scratch again.

Since this is in the HS thread... strongly dislike the 2-day uniform trend we saw at nationals this year. The judging panel sees a LOT of teams over the course of two days. If you had a strong first day performance and wear a different uniform the next day, it's basically like starting from scratch again.
Seriously, this is one of the reasons why I love UK. No matter where they are, you know who they are because you know the uniform. It's nice to have an image established.

Off topic from the op, but that's something I've thought about recently. Actually while watching a dance moms episode where they were doing auditions and a girl changed. Abby went off and almost cut her just from that. We've never done different uniforms, but have wondered if that makes a difference in cheer. For example we were in jostens for semis, field house for finals and the arena for worlds. Technically 3 different judging panels, so they wouldn't even know if we changed. This may be true for almost every division, unless it's one that competes all rounds in the field house. Agree that if you have a good routine the judges may not recognize you next time, but it's probably different judges anyway. Curious if it's hurt a team

For high school I think the uniforms need to be very clean and simple.

NO---
Mesh
Rhinestones
Excessive mystique
Crazy cut outs
Half tops
Sublimation

You are representing your school and I think you need to be classy and athletic if you want to be taken seriously. Look at most of the uniforms of the teams that go to UCA high school nationals (NHSCC) most are simple classy and athletic and I think that just helps when they are performing you are watching your skills instead of their flashy uniforms

I am also a fan of game uniforms and completion uniforms where the game unis are like the tank top ones

For high school I think the uniforms need to be very clean and simple.

NO---
Mesh
Rhinestones
Excessive mystique
Crazy cut outs
Half tops
Sublimation

You are representing your school and I think you need to be classy and athletic if you want to be taken seriously. Look at most of the uniforms of the teams that go to UCA high school nationals (NHSCC) most are simple classy and athletic and I think that just helps when they are performing you are watching your skills instead of their flashy uniforms

I am also a fan of game uniforms and completion uniforms where the game unis are like the tank top ones

Agreed. High schools should stick with the clean/sharp look. But I don't see anything wrong with high schools getting sublimated uniforms but only if they don't look like a unicorn puked all over them. You can do a lot with sublimation that will still give you a clean, traditional school look. I'm not a fan of game uniforms, like with the tank tops. They just look too camp wear-ish to me.

Yes to clean school uniforms. I don't mind a little sparkle or sublimation. But mostly clean. And a full top.

My fave is when one of my school cheer kids (who also JUST started all stars) would show me a uniform that looks like the strappy Top Gun number and beg "Can we get these?"

Yes, if you want me to get fired.

I'm wondering.... would it be a good idea to get simple practice wear (with a cute glitter bow, of course) to use as a uniform for a new team, to cut down on costs for the first few seasons/until the program becomes well established? If I ever coach middle school cheer, I'll do this, but I'm afraid that some of the girls will only be there for a uniform.

I'm wondering.... would it be a good idea to get simple practice wear (with a cute glitter bow, of course) to use as a uniform for a new team, to cut down on costs for the first few seasons/until the program becomes well established? If I ever coach middle school cheer, I'll do this, but I'm afraid that some of the girls will only be there for a uniform.
At basketball regionals there was a team with a stock motion-flex skirt and tank top with their logo on it. The tank was spandexy and tight so looked like it could have been a practice tank but also matched the simple skirt to look like a uni. Add a bodysuit underneath and you're good for football.

I've seen lots of teams do that, and it usually looks really nice! One year for camp wear we had skorts and racer back tank tops that looked really good together! We used them for other events as well like parades and stuff. I think it's a great idea!

Back