All-Star Usasf Independence

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Turning the USASF from a 501c6 to a 501c3?

I think it's exactly the right move. The governing body should be independent (although the argument can be made that this just shifts dependency for a while). I really like the idea of EPs having to compete with each other to host Worlds. That should put the pressure on EPs to listen to the customers. It also seems like it would unlock the contract obligation from Disney since the entity itself would change (hence not exist as the same USASF entity that signed the contract = voided = worlds can move around). Possibly.

kingston anyway to combine these threads. They were posted seconds after each other.

Wow. So much to absorb.

I like the fact that they are willing to give the USASF a chance to make some needed changes instead of simply starting over from scratch with a brand-new organization. It will be interesting to see what the official response from Varsity/USASF, if any, will be.

Just to see if I am understanding this correctly - The 7 cheer-related companies are proposing that they will take over the loan provided by varsity and they will split it up amongst them to reduce the dependency on one MEGA company to 7 smaller ones until the loan is paid up and then the USASF would become fully independent?

Definitely had some interesting ideas, I am curious to see the general reaction to this and the outcome of the proposal.

I am very interested in seeing how this plays out. I like that other companies/organizations are taking the initiative to help USASF gain its independence. I hope that it will not commit the USASF to another Varsity-like situation for too long, as I get that shifting it will be necessary.

I posted my response in the other section under the "Breaking News" article but I'm guessing that this thread will take off before that one does so below is my .02

WOW...I like the idea and support an independent governing body. I have said at least a few times in other threads here that I felt like a storm would be brewing because once Varsity started gobbling up Comps and other companies related to All Star that they were forming a monopoly and when that happens it's usually not a good thing. Varsity has all the power and I don't expect this proposal to be accepted, in fact I expect it will be ignored but hopefully it will start some discussion between the sides to come to a conclusion that will benefit everyone. It certainly puts USASF and Varsity on the hot seat because there is a movement afoot which is calling for change and if it gains momentum it will be very interesting to watch. :enjoyshow:

A better question than how much USASF owes Varsity is how much USASF "owes" Varsity. Let me try to explain:

The amount of actual money technically owed to Varsity is probably relatively easy to determine. The amount of "favors" or quid pro quo is a more difficult issue. Varsity can legitimately claim that there would be no USASF without it's backing. (I would argue that SOMETHING like it would exist by now, but it definitely wouldn't exist in its current form.)

Does the USASF "owe" it to Varsity to let them keep the lion's share of the decision-making power? Should the people who have put in the time and effort to make the USASF work up to this point deserve to keep their positions primarily as recognition for their efforts? Should the event producers who were the "early adopters" of the USASF and its concepts be rewarded for that with favorable decisions/rulings? If the answer is yes to these, then how long do they get those benefits? A decade? 20 years? Until they decide to retire? Forever?

I will not pretend that those are easy questions to answer. Everyone's version of what is "fair" is likely highly dependent on your point of view. I would guess if I were Jim Chadwick, who did all of the substantial political maneuverings/meetings/speeches/promising/work/etc. necessary to make the USASF happen, my answer would be different than if I were just some random gym owner looking in from the outside.

I saw this on Twitter and agree 150% with it! The situation we have now is akin to Nike owning the NFL. I think the only way for acro/tumble (I will not call it cheer for this purpose) to be taken seriously is if we: A. Dissolve the USASF and combine with the USGA or B. Do what is written in that letter. I think a big step was taken recently when they sort of reorganized the board and some of the Varsity people stepped down. It shows they at least want to make the effort of not seeming monopoly-like.
I like this a lot and I really hope that Varsity takes it seriously. Heck they get their loan paid off and get to continue on their merry way, all they have to do is let go of the USASF.

Back