USASF off the hook, why?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 13, 2009
Ok so I get the USASF is the governing body, and not the events producer BUT they have all the power and they don't use it. I have continually read multiple posts and spoken to HUNDREDS about a unified scoresheet and complaints on judges. IF USASF would REQUIRE that in order to attend their event that the company awarding bids would have to have QUALIFIED judges on a UNIFIED (I'm even ok with previously recommended, worlds bid div only) scoresheet, then it would trickle down. I think USASF cries "we don't control THAT comp". Garbage, USASF controls the industry, if they REQUIRE it then either the company follows their rules or isn't allowed to give bids. USASF needs to quit "trying" and make it happen. They sure didn't have any problem requiring every athlete to pay an extra 25$ and coaches to be certified (which I still don't understand, how is a coach qualified to coach his team to recieve a bid but not to go backstage?) to be credentialed in order to attend (and btw my gyms kids got their credentials in AUGUST after WORLDS). I just don't get it. And yes I have attended many coaches conferences and met with multiple "powers that be", and heard the same thing over and over.

Side note, King in regards to your comment about getting more USASF people to read the boards, my gym recently met with our local Varsity rep who specifically mentioned that Varsity (who is different that USASF :)) monitors thefierceboard.com on a daily basis.

Hah, I know I checked the logs the other day.

IP logs show people from the USASF, Varsity, and a couple other places all read the Fierce Board. IDK if they'll straight up admit to it, but they are on here. You can't hide on the internet! haha

I worry that the USASF is still new enough and unstable enough that if they try to throw their weight around too much and force people into things too quickly they run the risk of the competition companies or gym owners disagreeing strongly and choosing not to participate to a degree

KB_Legend said:
I worry that the USASF is still new enough and unstable enough that if they try to throw their weight around too much and force people into things too quickly they run the risk of the competition companies or gym owners disagreeing strongly and choosing not to participate to a degree

I think that is a cop-out on their part. They clearly have established themselves to the point that people pay thousands of dollars to attend worlds. Other countries pay even more. I think they have established themselves enough to set more ground rules on the companies. Look at what has happened to the competitions that used to be large but now no one attends them because they aren't worlds bid comps. Same thing would happen to a company that defected from the USASF. People would stop attending because everyone wants a chance at worlds.

the main thing people have bought in to as far as the USASF is worlds... And I don't think it is a cop out at all to consider the fact that if the USASF says "you have to use this scoresheet and these judges" competition companies (cheersport comes to mind right of the bat) might say forget you we aren't doing it, and cheersport will still exist fine because people can get their worlds bids elsewhere, it was the biggest competition before worlds existed, and the majority of the attendees are not going for worlds bids... to me that is a slippery slope... it seems like the usasf has been around for a long time, but it really hasn't, you can't rush change all the time! I know we are in a get it done yesterday society but you can't force things, it has to be a gradual evolution, as much as people want things to be perfect right away we all actually fear change and can't/wont take a huge leap of faith most of the time... JMO

First let me say that I am a HUGE fan of Cheersport, however. IF a standard scoresheet was a REQUIREMENT, (even if it was only for bid divisions) there is no way they would not comply ESPECIALLY with NCA and Cheersport on back to back weekends.

I find it hard to believe that organizations would choose Cheersport over NCA in that situation (if NCA adopted the standard scoresheet), do I think Cheersport would survive YES do I think they would take a HUGE hit, YES.

What would ANY cheer company gain from going against a standard scoresheet AND losing the ablity to award WORLDS bids? IF that happened I want EVERYONE to know that SCFLIPS Nationals will be held in Atlanta, GA asap around the date of Cheersport and will be following the "standard" scoresheet and will be awarding bids. I know I know it takes time to do all of that but another "established" company that has been struggling could do that and would definately prevail.

I have a hard time believing that even local gyms (Rays, GA, ATL etc.) would attend and event (with all of their teams) when they can go somewhere else and get ALL of the advantages of KNOWING that they will meet the same scoresheet that they have seen all year AND will see at WORLDS.

I'm not saying they HAVE to do it, I'm just saying they won't be able to give bids. There are enough companys out there giving bids that would adopt the scoresheet that Worlds would do just fine and would be BETTER bc teams wouldn't have to change their routine (even if its slightly) every competition.

If a gym still wants to go to a competition then let them go and claim a championship but I would def rather take my ENTIRE gym where I know that consistancy is a MUST!

ALSO I want to see ONLY qualified Judges at Bid events, again a judge doesn't HAVE to get certified but they will not be allowed to judge Bid events or Worlds, again WHAT WOULD THEY GAIN?

I really do agree with you in theory, but what do you think is holding us back from having a universal scoresheet right now??? Why do you think cheersport and all star challenege are part of the varsity family plan but aren't following the varsity standard of scoring??? I think there have likely been pushes for these things and we have obviously gotten much closer in some areas this year but it has been met with strong resistence by some companies

scflips said:
First let me say that I am a HUGE fan of Cheersport, however. IF a standard scoresheet was a REQUIREMENT, (even if it was only for bid divisions) there is no way they would not comply ESPECIALLY with NCA and Cheersport on back to back weekends.

I find it hard to believe that organizations would choose Cheersport over NCA in that situation (if NCA adopted the standard scoresheet), do I think Cheersport would survive YES do I think they would take a HUGE hit, YES.

What would ANY cheer company gain from going against a standard scoresheet AND losing the ablity to award WORLDS bids? IF that happened I want EVERYONE to know that SCFLIPS Nationals will be held in Atlanta, GA asap around the date of Cheersport and will be following the "standard" scoresheet and will be awarding bids. I know I know it takes time to do all of that but another "established" company that has been struggling could do that and would definately prevail.

I have a hard time believing that even local gyms (Rays, GA, ATL etc.) would attend and event (with all of their teams) when they can go somewhere else and get ALL of the advantages of KNOWING that they will meet the same scoresheet that they have seen all year AND will see at WORLDS.

I'm not saying they HAVE to do it, I'm just saying they won't be able to give bids. There are enough companys out there giving bids that would adopt the scoresheet that Worlds would do just fine and would be BETTER bc teams wouldn't have to change their routine (even if its slightly) every competition.

If a gym still wants to go to a competition then let them go and claim a championship but I would def rather take my ENTIRE gym where I know that consistancy is a MUST!

ALSO I want to see ONLY qualified Judges at Bid events, again a judge doesn't HAVE to get certified but they will not be allowed to judge Bid events or Worlds, again WHAT WOULD THEY GAIN?

Ditto, Ditto and Ditto! :)

I would also like to add that the whole point of the USASF is that it's for the common good and at least has the illusion of being democratic... If the fedaration starts strong arming people into things they don't agree with it will be sooner, rather than later, before they start forcing the sport in a direction that the masses don't necessarily agree with...

Evolution rather than revolution. As long as things keep moving forward its ok if it doesnt happen overnight.

Just curious . . . how exactly did the USAG end up being the governing body of gymnastics?? I mean, they have complete control over how gymnastics is run and that sport is more popular now than ever. Same with figure skating, soccer, and I'm sure many many other sports. How is it that they were able to accomplish what seems impossible for cheerleading? Maybe I just have a completely inaccurate view of what the USASF is and/or does.

I don't think anyone is saying it's impossible, and I do think that should be the ultimate goal! But USAG has existed, I think, for 50 years, the USASF has been around for like 6 years... It's like king said, you can't just have a complete revolution, it won't work, you have to keep moving forward and keep making progress till you get to that point

I do want to add that i think a Universal scoresheet should be agreed upon (as much as possible). I do see how if a company disagrees with a piece of the scoresheet how they wouldn't be on board. I think all companies have positives and negatives of their scoresheets. If they sat down (probably would take weeks LOL) and agreed upon a scoresheet more events would be on board. Again Im not saying all events HAVE to have the same scoresheet, only those that want to be in conjunction with USASF.

I would be ok with at first just demanding that worlds bid divisions be scored by the same scoresheet. That's a start, since we have to start somewhere. :)

Back