All-Star Varsity - "the Summit"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Some gyms sandbag thru out the whole year and unfortunately it will not change for the summit. It really is unfair when a WINNING level 5 team, of a huge program, takes a majority of that team and competes level 2. :(

I just have something to say about crossovers- My gym is a small gym and yes we do have crossovers. Not sure what the big deal is if your on a J3 and you cross to a S4, at J3 you can only to the skills at level 3! Its not your sneaking a layout in. Plus, some kids who do crossover from lets say a 4 to a 5 might have level 4 skills but not 5, and are on level 5 because they need people! A whole level 5 team going level 3 or 2, that is sandbagging. But for small gyms, having other level crossover coming down, its not that bad. That is how some small gyms get by, with crossovers! Also, when everyone complains about "our j3 lost because they had level 4 kids on their
j3!" They can only do level 3 skills, so that isnt why you lost. Some kids also enjoy competiting on multiple teams! I do! I love being a crossover! Sure, their technique might be better..but same skill! Not sure what the big fight is!

Also for the summit, if an athlete is competing as crossover on the same teams/same level all year long! I dont see the issue!

I just have something to say about crossovers- My gym is a small gym and yes we do have crossovers. Not sure what the big deal is if your on a J3 and you cross to a S4, at J3 you can only to the skills at level 3! Its not your sneaking a layout in. Plus, some kids who do crossover from lets say a 4 to a 5 might have level 4 skills but not 5, and are on level 5 because they need people! A whole level 5 team going level 3 or 2, that is sandbagging. But for small gyms, having other level crossover coming down, its not that bad. That is how some small gyms get by, with crossovers! Also, when everyone complains about "our j3 lost because they had level 4 kids on their
j3!" They can only do level 3 skills, so that isnt why you lost. Some kids also enjoy competiting on multiple teams! I do! I love being a crossover! Sure, their technique might be better..but same skill! Not sure what the big fight is!

Also for the summit, if an athlete is competing as crossover on the same teams/same level all year long! I dont see the issue!

I don't think there is anything wrong with this really. My own CP is a crossover. I am definitely more worried about sandbagging than I am crossovers.

I am not sure how I feel about a team of 20 though being more than 50% crossovers (seen a few of those around.) Even if it is in the same level. But sandbagging is a much bigger issue to me.

Mafia still exists. They are one of the teams.
My point was the makeup of the teams are different. It's rare to find a team with the exact same kids 2 years in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there is anything wrong with this really. My own CP is a crossover. I am definitely more worried about sandbagging than I am crossovers.

I am not sure how I feel about a team of 20 though being more than 50% crossovers (seen a few of those around.) Even if it is in the same level. But sandbagging is a much bigger issue to me.

Yes i agree sandbagging is a bigger issue than having crossovers. Usually, crossovers are just a few, not a whole team or majority of the team!

They were champions this year...why should the gym get a partial paid for next year's competition based on a team that no longer exists? The kids on whichever team the gym decides to take are benefitting from the work of kids that may not even be there. If my youth 4 team was the all-levels champion this year, I shouldn't have earned a bid for a season that hasn't happened yet.
Amen!

USASF gets a lot of money from spectator fees as well. Not denying that Varsity may or may not make money, I just know it cost a lot to be at a destination spot like Disney from an event producer stand point, while providing bids and keeping the production at a high level. This event isn't for everybody, but it is what some coaches have asked for who don't have a Level 5 team and want a prestigious "end of the year" event.
I have a question, what if there were parents who could only afford for their daughter/son to go? Would there be online viewing? Would it be free to them or at the cost of admission?

Who received the bids last weekend at UCA in Tennessee? There were supposed to be 5 at-larges and 1 paid.

I know Python Allstars Timor Pythons (large youth 2) got the paid bid.. Who got the other bids?

AshleeMarie - Some parents have heard rumors that cheerleaders that compete at Worlds are not eligible to compete at The Summit. I looked for rules but could not find any. Can you please clarify for me so I can pass that on to those parents?

What is the difference between crossovers crossing down and sandbagging?

What is the difference between crossovers crossing down and sandbagging?
Great question. I think the original intent of crossovers was to fill teams with athletes that are similar level (i.e. a Jr level 3 crossing to a Sr. level 2). This is to help with injuries, small gyms that need to field teams to remain competitive, etc. I think most people have no problems when crossovers are used for this purpose. However, it has become popular for gyms to create teams with multiple crossovers solely for the purpose of winning - either to get a bid at a comp that their "real" team wouldn't otherwise be able to win, or to drop an entire team down several levels in order to win a major national title, or to have several athletes from a level 5 team also compete on a level 2 team all season. Those would be examples of sandbagging.

Back