All-Star Venting (all Star Subjects)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I completely hear you and I got called all types of names growing up but it was more from other schools students my high school was extremely supportive of me and I was Mr. Easley High School (Easley South Carolina) I was one of the only male cheerleaders back then in the State of South Carolina (1995-1999) I wouldn't change any of it for the world it made me a strong person then and a stronger person now. I have a ton of straight male friends that are not in cheerleading and I take time to educate those who no not what they speak, sometimes i'll get stuff like "where are your pom poms?" I'm like male cheerleaders don't use pom poms. I was talking to one of my friends who is in the Army on a base in Europe and he told me they call him "The Cheerleader" and his sergeant asked him if your a cheerleader where are your pom poms? Absolutely disrespectful, luckily my friend took out time to educate him. This is a major form of bullying and as we saw a few months ago things like this can have a damaging (sometimes deadly) outcome on the advancement of an individual. Not every male in cheerleading is gay nor are they all straight but that does not make what we do no less than what other sports do. Good Post Raymond 1 million shimmy's

So people post random threads to vent about all kinds of things in the All Star world.
Well I started this to be one huge venting thread.

I'm going to start off with saying how incredibly irritating it is when a non-cheerleader guy tells me how "gay" it is that I'm in competitive cheerleading. It doesn't matter what sport they play, it always involves them showering, playing, being together with a bunch of guys. And yet my sport allows me to be surrounded by some of the most gorgeous, mostly intelligent ^_^, outgoing girls/women. Who change in front of us, we hang out with them all day, etc. I'm trying not to sound like a pervert here because I do have a girlfriend who is on one of the teams I cheer with. But really, why do these guys think I'm the "gay" one? Especially when the few gay guys on my team could out perform almost every single one of those guys on other sports. UGH! Venting completed.

Feel free to post what you want to vent about in the All Star world.

My back used to pinch my flyer if she didn't do something right when she could of.

I.E. If she was ment to hit arabesque and didn't, the back would reach up and pinch her till she hit:L

So many good times from intimidating flyers, but it gets them to WORK <3

I hate to be the one to break it to you folks, but, stereotypes are around for a reason. No, not all male cheerleaders are gay. But, the ones who wear make-up, shimmy, hair-whip, do splits, and generally act "fierce" do nothing to stop the stereotypes.
I'm straight, and I do all of that, yet I'm not gay. I'm secure with my masculinity enough to do all of that. I could care less about stereotypes. I'm not complaining that people call cheerleading gay, I'm complaining that they call my SPORT gay over theirs. lol. If you understand what I'm trying to say.

First off the hair-flipping, big smiles, and sparkles are just part of the sport. Just like wrestlers wear those weird little suits. It's part of the performance, not an indication of being gay or not gay. Now for my list:
1. I HATE poor sportsmanship. I come from an area where two gyms close to each other are very competitive. I share a high school with girls from the other teams, and with the exception of a few, we move past our colors and are friendly. One thing that really bothered me is that one of our guys is dating a girl from another gym, and at out last comp she wore a sweatshirt from her gym, who werent competing that day. I might be over reacting, but swallow your pride and support your boyfriend with one of his T shirts. Or just be neutral. I really hate seeing hate channels on Youtube. I think it's so rude. Especially because you know it's not the people who are actually on those teams, those cheerleaders are classier than that.
2. This is much less prevalent that the first one but I hate cheerleaders walking around half-naked at competitions in sports bras and hot pants. They are called BRAS for a reason. It is not a shirt, and you don't look very classy. Put on some clothes.

& I just thought of another... I HATEEE* seeing bra straps when in a uniform. Strapless, halter, clear straps, one strap... the bra options are limitless, girls should learn that seeing the neon pink strap in the back of your uniform isn't cute
confused.png

When you have a flyer who is soooo tiny, like 13 years old but 60 pounds and her bases drop her to the floor repeatedly or complain about how hard it is to lift her. You should NEVER let any flyer hit the floor, nevermind someone who i could lift with one hand. The poor flier gets so upset and the bases just laugh it off.

haha, i love glee. i think its so funny how they "cheer" on like stilts, and bikes on ramps... even if it is just high school cheer

Actually for the next high school routine I do choreo for Im workin on a full fireworks display to go off during the dance...kinda like NCA but bigger

I'm just always confused by people who in one breath scream about wanting legitimacy and in another celebrate or brush off the things that deter us: when our girls look sloppy at competitions, poor sportsmanship, cheer gossip, dances that get a little too crazy..can't have it both ways anymore.

Here is my peeve: as a parent, your attitude should never be negative. Sure, sometimes things can happen that you don't agree with, etc., but my philosophy is that if your child is not complaining, you shouldn't be! I believe a parent's role is to support and encourage their child and the gym. If things are so bad that you have to constantly complain, go to another gym. I can't stand obnoxious parents who don't let the coaches coach. The coaches are the ones who should know what it takes to win at competition and also the limitations/abilities of those on their teams. It is not up to the parents in the viewing area to constantly analyze everything that is going on and then harass the coaches about it. Be there for your child, support them, enjoy being a part of cheer and your role as a cheer parent. Don't ruin the experience for everyone else. Enough said.

Well maybe some of the "hair whipping" and fierceness that guys do , does not help the stereotype but...that doesn't give non-cheer guys the given right to call all male cheerleaders "fags". Thats like calling all football and baseball players jerks or a**holes. I just hate stereotypes.
I'm straight, and I do all of that, yet I'm not gay. I'm secure with my masculinity enough to do all of that. I could care less about stereotypes. I'm not complaining that people call cheerleading gay, I'm complaining that they call my SPORT gay over theirs. lol. If you understand what I'm trying to say.

#1 Yes it is. How many times have you heard "football players are just dumb jocks"
#2 I think its great that you are secure in your masculinity. But, from the outside it fits the stereotype. It reminds me of the saying " if it walks like a duck, and it talks like a duck, it must be a duck" That is the mentality that the general population lives by.

Back