All-Star Warm Up Times

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There should definitely be a MINIMUM standard for warm ups. I know there have been talks of this before but wth is a 3 minute warm up? I don't think we would even attend a comp with that warm up set up. I think 5-5-5 should be the MINIMUM. As for wait time, now that is something that I kind of give EP's slack on bc sometimes its completely out of their hands, injury, puke clean up etc. etc. However, running early can be an issue as well. Some parents have multiple kids competing and schedule their day based on the schedule, running early could mean they miss seeing their child which presents problems.

stateallstar_jesse said:
We don't use music during warm-ups. Even when we only have a short amount of time or are warming up several teams at a time I love the way that our coaches run it.

Mat #1 (AKA the dead mat)
Team/Group/Elite/Whateverelseyoumightcallit Stunt
Baskets

Mat #2 (AKA tumble strip)
All running tumbling, that level only (if crossing over and warming up at the same time, higher level tumbling)
Standing tumbling
*if there's extra time- jumps

Mat #3 (AKA full dead floor)
Pyramid
Any stunts/baskets that didn't hit

Then we wait to go on the floor! :)

I love this idea. I may try it with my srs and see how it goes. I think they would prefer it!

We generally have great warm ups but we attend comps that know how to run an event. I agree with everyone that 5 min should be the minimum. We have our set warm up traditions but even when we go through it quickly (and with small teams) we can cut it close. I always wonder how a team of 36 L5 athletes, all needing to warm up multiple tumbling skills, makes it through.

I've always had a beef with short warm up times. Like, yes let's rush dangerous tumbling and stunting maneuvers with stressed out coaches, kids, and inadequate staff trying to run warmups. I remember one competition we had 3 mats (2 strips of dead, tumbling strip, full spring floor) and we had TEN minutes on each mat. Talk about a good warm up.
So lucky, I want to go to that comp!

It is tough for large squads with all 36 members tumbling with level 5 skills to warm up in 3 minutes! Knowing your warm-up "routine" is crucial so people know where to go & quickly!

On the bright side, they only have 30 minutes im-between warm up && competing.. I just took my HS girls to a competition we warmed up at 10:10.. they didn't compete until 12:20
That's crazy! And I thought 30 mins was bad....

Last year at regionals we had such a long time to wait before we went on because they were really behind but this year we went on like right after we warmped up. I like they way they do it at UCA nationals, warm up and then go on after 2 teams (or something like that).

That's crazy! And I thought 30 mins was bad....
its was awful! The reason it was like that was because all the competitors had to warm up on the competition floor, there were no extra mats in the back and then they cleared the mat & opened 45 minutes for the spectators to walk in then the competition started so it took about an hour and 1/2 for all the teams to warm up (you only got 10 minutes of that) then you sat around while everyone else warmed up, spectators walked in, then you had to wait for all the teams in front of you to go..

its was awful! The reason it was like that was because all the competitors had to warm up on the competition floor, there were no extra mats in the back and then they cleared the mat & opened 45 minutes for the spectators to walk in then the competition started so it took about an hour and 1/2 for all the teams to warm up (you only got 10 minutes of that) then you sat around while everyone else warmed up, spectators walked in, then you had to wait for all the teams in front of you to go..
I would have hated that! I'm guessing you never went back to that comp.

Back