High School We've Got Spirit!...no We Don't.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 21, 2010
Our school's fan base is pitiful, unfortunately, and always has been. Our football team isn't great, but even when they do well, our fans just sit and give out a half-hearted clap. We have no school spirit and even limited senior pride. Spirit days at school, no matter how longing the attempt, are always a bust. Cheering to a silent crowd is just as bad, if not worse, than cheering for a losing team. Even us cheerleaders feel unmotivated to pass the spirit because we know there will be no response. How can we inspire school pride to our fan base?

Get better. Haha sorry, but i think your school won't be spirited. But, I do think that you guys could throw up some sick stunts and tumbling and that will get them interested in you guys! Take the football player's spotlight! Haha good luck :)

My schools the same exact way! It's getting better though. We try to do easy cheers that the crowd can learn (if they're extremely corny- that's even better. People will laugh but then go along with it) for spirit days we try to go all out, usually the school will catch on. For big games like homecoming, we decorate the school with posters, banners, etc. we throw out tshirts to the crowd also. We try and get everyone involved as much as possible, even if our football team sucks haha. Hope I helped :)

We were thinking about having a pep rally convocation that students could attend during school. We know that kids would easily pay a buck to leave class 30 mins or so early, and our principal is really awesome and would support it. What are some great pep rally ideas for an un-spirited school? (around homecoming time?)

How about making spirit sticks- toilet paper tubes filled with candy - wrapped in tissue paper in your school colors- you then throw them out to the crowd- oNLy if the crowd gets loud- everyone likes candy and would yell real loud for some.

For our hc assembly we did the kissing booth stunt where we brought in the varsity football players blindfolded them and told them to kiss their girlfriends but it was really their moms.

We also had a faculty flash mob yearly Some dance thing with orchasis, poms, cheer, and flags. If I remember we had the football team beat up a piñata in the shape of the opposing teams mascot. We thought about donkey basketball but that cost too much that year. Oh we also involved whatever other sport or activity that won worlds that year. The robotics team shot balls around and I think we had the orchasis state dance as well.

We were thinking about having a pep rally convocation that students could attend during school. We know that kids would easily pay a buck to leave class 30 mins or so early, and our principal is really awesome and would support it. What are some great pep rally ideas for an un-spirited school? (around homecoming time?)
We have students sign up for different kinds of relay races, so we have everyone participating in the pep rally

We have a dodgeball tournament! You take a team made up of people from each class and have them all play each other and then the winning class goes against the teachers. Everyone gets really into it! Also if you can get some guys from each class to do a dance routine they can all perform them in front of the school. They're usually really funny and everyone loves them.

These are the seniors from my freshman year!

Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming--I'm going to talk to the girls about it tomorrow!

The cheerleading team should recruit for a pep squad! Basically you need about 10 or more really loud and rowdy kids. They go all out with paint and clothes, signs, poms etc for the games. They make up cheers and chants of their own to chant from the stands. They ride to the games with the cheer team, sit together and basically just be crazy supportive, the other students and fans see this and join in, they just need an example. We started this at our school because a lot of our games were away and kids couldn't get rides to come out. They have really grown over the years and now they sponsor buses to all the games, and sell spirit items, t-shirts, etc. to help out the cheer program, they are amazing.

Have a pep rally, and for homecoming week do spirit week and every day you dress up with themes like monday is white out, tuesday is twin day where you dress up with a friend, wednesday is superhero day, thursday is your schools pride day like dress up in school apparel and friday is color wars where each grade has their own color they wear.

Have a pep rally, and for homecoming week do spirit week and every day you dress up with themes like monday is white out, tuesday is twin day where you dress up with a friend, wednesday is superhero day, thursday is your schools pride day like dress up in school apparel and friday is color wars where each grade has their own color they wear.
I talked to the school administrators this week and the pep rally is a no-go. :( Even the heads of our school have no spirit! And we do have dress up themes during homecoming, snowcoming and Riley Dance Marathon week, but nobody participates. People are afraid to because they don't want to be the only one!

I talked to the school administrators this week and the pep rally is a no-go. :( Even the heads of our school have no spirit! And we do have dress up themes during homecoming, snowcoming and Riley Dance Marathon week, but nobody participates. People are afraid to because they don't want to be the only one!
You could give out prizes during lunch for the people who dressed up the best. You could give out giftcards and stuff. Maybe if the team does it then everyone else will catch on?

To inspire the crowd, I think you should first inspire the athletes. Cheerleaders and football players. Do they have the drive and determination? Eventually, it'll rub off to the crowd. I love shelbyhowell 's idea to give gift cards. We do that at my school! Whoever has the most spirit during the week gets crowned "Spirit King and Queen" and they each win a gift card to a restaurant (our King and Queen got Chipotle cards)! Make sure that all the cheerleaders and football players do the spirit week. Try to get the "popular" kids to do it, too.

My school is the same way. The students don't care. Our pep rallys aren't exciting. And many of the cheerleaders don't care / don't have any spirit. We say our cheers in a monotone voice. It's a curse..

Back